The Student Room Group

TSR's 2012 Tuition Fees Tracker - how much are universities charging in 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ajp100688
Ok I'm just going to come out and say this: What the hell is Bishop Grosstete University College?

:rofl:

Agreed! I never knew such a thing existed. Sounds like an awful, awful name for an Oxbridge college, oh gosh. :lolwut:
Original post by River85
Durham have announced 9k fees (no surpise)

http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=12699

Saw that coming a mile off when they told us at college that from next year, Durham will be running a partner scheme with us.

Damnit, why couldn't they have done this a year early? :mad:
Original post by yogi_bear_2k2
Reading all the comments here about University fees and how they will be £9k (average) makes me wonder why do people bother the need to study anymore. Surely they could just buy their place at Uni and not worry about grades, etc. I would of thought that a University would take people on their achievements, not just their ability to pay. What happens if a really bright, gifted student wanted to go to Uni, but wasn't able the raise the money to go to it? Would that be it for them? And what about a not so bright student. Couldn't they just buy their way in if their parents were loaded? Surely there has to be some standards?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/110315_1.html
Original post by Teveth
"Universities charging £9k per year will be the exemption. "

What a bloody farce. It seems at least 2/3rds or more are going to be charging the full amount.

What idiots actually believed that?

When I heard people were saying that I thought "bull****, most universities will do so" -through common sense. :rolleyes:

It was expected, not a "bloody farce"; you imply as if you were surprised.
Reply 124
Original post by im so academic
What idiots actually believed that?

When I heard people were saying that I thought "bull****, most universities will do so" -through common sense. :rolleyes:

It was expected, not a "bloody farce"; you imply as if you were surprised.

It wasn't about which universities would choose to charge the full amount if they could, it was about which universities will be allowed to charge that amount. The suggestion was that only a select few universities would be allowed to charge it.
Original post by Teveth

Original post by Teveth
It wasn't about which universities would choose to charge the full amount if they could, it was about which universities will be allowed to charge that amount. The suggestion was that only a select few universities would be allowed to charge it.

Yeah, and why believe everything politicians would say?

It's shocking, politicians have reputations of being liars and people still believe them?

????

EDIT: You even said it yourself, a suggestion. Hardly a legal document.
Reply 126
Yeah, and why believe everything politicians would say?

It's shocking, politicians have reputations of being liars and people still believe them?

????

EDIT: You even said it yourself, a suggestion. Hardly a legal document.

I did not say I believed them. After all, they are Tories and Lib Dems....scum bags and liars, as you well know.

I'm pointing out the farcical nature of this university debacle. It has been lie after lie from the ConDem sham government.
Reply 127
Original post by Teveth
I did not say I believed them. After all, they are Tories and Lib Dems....scum bags and liars, as you well know.

I'm pointing out the farcical nature of this university debacle. It has been lie after lie from the ConDem sham government.

Not really, they just hideously misjudged the greed of some universities. The idea that it costs £9k a year to teach an Arts subject at an ex-poly is laughable to say the least. I can understand the top level Russell universities and even 1994 universities charging that. Ex-polys have no right to be charging that.
Not really, they just hideously misjudged the greed of some universities. The idea that it costs £9k a year to teach an Arts subject at an ex-poly is laughable to say the least. I can understand the top level Russell universities and even 1994 universities charging that. Ex-polys have no right to be charging that.

With the exception of Oxford and Cambridge the cost of teaching an arts degree is about the same regardless of quality of institution.
Reply 129

What ever happened to the cherished Tory principle that says the invisible hand of the market is always right?

Some Thatcherite, you are.
Original post by Teveth

But it was EXPECTED that more or less every university will charge the full cap.

It's called having common sense.
Reply 131
Original post by Teveth
What ever happened to the cherished Tory principle that says the invisible hand of the market is always right?

Some Thatcherite, you are.

...I've never been a Thatcherite, I'm a One Nation Conservative.

With the exception of Oxford and Cambridge the cost of teaching an arts degree is about the same regardless of quality of institution.

I'd wager the cost of academics at a top university is much higher than at an ex-poly, furthermore I've heard from people who go to ex-polys they rely heavily upon graduates for teaching even at 2nd and 3rd year level, which helps on cutting down costs. Also the costs of maintaining their more extensive libraries would be much different. I've been to an ex poly's library (Plymouth) and it was pretty lacking compared to what we have at QMUL library and the main UOL library. Furthermore the bigger universities tend to have larger departments, which means more academics, quite a few of which may be research only, which means even more overheads to cover. I doubt many ex-polys employ academics on research only contracts in art departments.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 132
But it was EXPECTED that more or less every university will charge the full cap.

It's called having common sense.

It's no skin off my nose, personally, and as a matter of fact I was fairly certain that the government was lying through its teeth. My gripe is on behalf of those who were misled by the lie. The lie was deliberately spun to help gain support for the fee rise among those who were sceptical.

But nothing more than I would expect from this pack of liars.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Teveth

Original post by Teveth
It's no skin off my nose, personally, and as a matter of fact I was fairly certain that the government was lying through its teeth. My gripe is on behalf of those who were mislead by the lie. The lie was deliberately spun to help gain support for the fee rise among those who were sceptical.

But nothing more than I would expect from this pack of liars.

Why be misled from an OBVIOUS truth?

Shows how some people are so gullible these days to believe anything.
Reply 134
...I've never been a Thatcherite, I'm a One Nation Conservative.

Ah, a Tory with a conscience. How precious. Well, as close to a conscience as a Tory can hope to have.

I get the feeling that you One Nation Tories are never truly comfortable in your party. You must be able to see it for what it really is.
Reply 135
Original post by Teveth
Ah, a Tory with a conscience. How precious. Well, as close to a conscience as a Tory can hope to have.

I get the feeling that you One Nation Tories are never truly comfortable in your party. You must be able to see it for what it really is.

You seem to be suggesting that Thatcherism is the dominant thought within the Conservative Party when in fact it was the exception to the rule. Every Conservative Prime Minister since WW2 has been One Nation except Thatcher (Major's kind of a gray area). Thatcherism is the ideology of the Tory right wing not the core of the party, it's Neo-Liberalism and more akin to what the Liberal Party of the 19th century practised not Conservative policy. Even David Cameron is One Nation (look at most of his pre-PM policies and statements) he just had the bad luck of coming into the Premiership when the economy is in the crapper, we have a massive deficit and cuts are inevitable.

It must have been really galling for you guys when a One Nation Conservative like Tony Blair took over your party. I often think Blair was the best Conservative Prime Minister that never was. If only he had a little less faith in the state and grand projects he'd have fit right in with the Conservative One Nation grouping.

I'd wager the cost of academics at a top university is much higher than at an ex-poly where from what I've heard from people who go to ex-polys they rely heavily upon graduates for teaching. Also the costs of maintaining their more extensive libraries would be much different. I've been to an ex poly's library (Plymouth) and it was pretty lacking compared to what we have at QMUL library and the main UOL library. Furthermore the bigger universities tend to have larger departments, which means more academics, quite a few of which may be research only, which means even more overheads to cover. I doubt many ex-polys employ academics on research only contracts in art departments.

On the contrary, it is generally the research universities that rely heavily on graduates for teaching.

Staff employed on research only contracts are not funded out of teaching costs.

Although pay scales are the same, research universities tend to have more staff at higher points on the pay scale. That is often offset by the surfeit of postgraduate teaching staff.

Whilst the library cost is greater in research universities the difference is relatively small. The major costs are for the books they buy, the databases they subscribe to and the staff they employ. The costs of housing and maintaining the existing collections are very low. Database costs are banded and based on size of institution. Book purchases do vary between institution but that may well be a new university remedying historic gaps in its collection. It costs as much in staffing cost to provide lengthy opening hours in a poorly stocked library as in a good one. The newer universities are more likely to be split-campus and as a result often have unwieldy and expensive library structures. Generally speaking research universities spend a little over £100 more per student per year than new universities on library facilities.
Any University in the top 30 - £9000
Any University in the top 40 - £8500-9000
Any other University - £7000-9000

I don't think the government realise how difficult these fees have made it for people like me, who are unsure about what they want to study at university/want to do in the future, and wanted to take a Gap Year. The pressure is immense to get into university this year, and even though I probably will, I truly didn't expect this kind of **** to occur when the coalition government was first formed. It is incredibly stressful.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 139
I'd wager the cost of academics at a top university is much higher than at an ex-poly, furthermore I've heard from people who go to ex-polys they rely heavily upon graduates for teaching even at 2nd and 3rd year level, which helps on cutting down costs. Also the costs of maintaining their more extensive libraries would be much different. I've been to an ex poly's library (Plymouth) and it was pretty lacking compared to what we have at QMUL library and the main UOL library. Furthermore the bigger universities tend to have larger departments, which means more academics, quite a few of which may be research only, which means even more overheads to cover. I doubt many ex-polys employ academics on research only contracts in art departments.

Academics cost about the same regardless of the university; if you search around on the jobs section of the Times Higher Education site you can get more of an insight into this.

Also, as an ex-poly student, I can say I've never heard a single case of a graduate student teaching a class. Plus the library at my university is pretty darn good, but then, even if I was at Harvard I'd probably still spend 90% of my research time on Google Books/Scholar instead.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending