The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

forgot that was on tonight! watching 'katie: my beautiful friends' right now
So did Jon finally get with Andy?
I've been watching the football, completely forgot that was on. Haven't seen a single episode live on tv :/
Original post by Normandy114
Good luck on Birmingham, definitely not for me as I have nowhere near the 9A*s they need... I qualify for the access to Leeds scheme, so may apply there. Do you know of any other access to courses? I know Manchester has one too

Thank you! :biggrin: and the access scheme allows you to apply even if you have like 2 A*s, they base it on the fact you could have achieved higher if youd gone to a better school/had family in higher education e.t.c :smile: and i know that keele do one which i applied for about a month back and not heard anything yet :frown: and southampton do a sort-of one, which is where you do a 6 year course instead with minimum requirements of BCC i think :biggrin:
Original post by liviaaa
What's the a2b scheme? :smile:

its the access to birmingham scheme :biggrin: basically if you live and/or went to a school in a lower class area, have a low household income and have no experience of university in your family you qualify for this scheme where you can get a lower grade offer than the standard offer :smile: theyre meant to be enhancing it a bit more now because of the whole 9k tuition fees malarkey, so fingers crossed! :biggrin:
Reply 725
Original post by Evanesyne
Yep! Last episode tonight :cry:

I no :frown: I've recorded it, can't wait to watch it!

I love Suzy best, I think she's such a greater doctor! How about you?
Reply 726
Original post by NatatatATTACK
its the access to birmingham scheme :biggrin: basically if you live and/or went to a school in a lower class area, have a low household income and have no experience of university in your family you qualify for this scheme where you can get a lower grade offer than the standard offer :smile: theyre meant to be enhancing it a bit more now because of the whole 9k tuition fees malarkey, so fingers crossed! :biggrin:

Oh okay.

I'm guessing they must only give out about a handful of applicants them though for each course, as for medicine they don't exactly need to do it, other than to be politically correct as they already have too many candidates with lots of A*'s etc.

Personally I don't always think it's fair, I understand people may have been at a disadvantage, but what about if they get a place rather than someone who got all A*s, a great UCAS form, plenty of work experience and voluntary service etcc?
Original post by liviaaa

I love Suzy too! I quite like most of them :smile: Although i have a great disliking for Adam! He reeeeally annoys me - oh well he has left our screens for now :biggrin: :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa

Suzi is great :biggrin: but I don't like how they edited it so that she looks like a right dimbo just because she has a fetish with pink.

My favourite has got to be Lucy though :colondollar: although if I could choose one to be my doctor it would probably be Jon. You?
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I don't understand the reasoning behind them not letting you see the grade... tbh it would be easier for the unis if you knew what you got because then fewer people with lower BMAT scores than the unis want would apply?

Yeah, true, especially when amazing candidates are being turned away... scary. :eek:

Good luck! I'm weirdly excited about applying (that's if I even get the AS grades :/)

Awww, thanks. :smile: It's nice to be told that, and quite weird because I don't see myself as someone who's massively sure of themselves... it's like when your friends say something about your personality and you're like "eh? Do I really give that impression?" I wonder who knows a person better... the person themself of the people close to them? :p:

Youre right about fewer people applying if they knew their BMAT - tbh less people would apply which is less of a problem! And dont worry you'll get the AS grades, i dont even know if i will lol xx

Youre welcome :smile: I get the feeling you can be sure of yourself but i do know what you mean. When that happens im like "really?" I believe a person knows themselves a lot, but some of their characteristics they dont want to have, or feel they dont deserve them, they tend to repress into their subconcious which is why it is those close to them that inform them about themselves. It is believed the one who falls in love with you will know you most, and a lot of the times a close brother or sister, and other times a close friend :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Oh okay.

I'm guessing they must only give out about a handful of applicants them though for each course, as for medicine they don't exactly need to do it, other than to be politically correct as they already have too many candidates with lots of A*'s etc.

Personally I don't always think it's fair, I understand people may have been at a disadvantage, but what about if they get a place rather than someone who got all A*s, a great UCAS form, plenty of work experience and voluntary service etcc?

Who says the applicant won't have lots of work experience/volunteer work as well as a great UCAS form?

All they're allowing is lesser grades due to family and educational circumstance, that's all.
Reply 731
Original post by Harbour Seal
Who says the applicant won't have lots of work experience/volunteer work as well as a great UCAS form?

All they're allowing is lesser grades due to family and educational circumstance, that's all.

But if they have all that, then why do they need special entry?
Reply 732
Original post by Evanesyne
Suzi is great :biggrin: but I don't like how they edited it so that she looks like a right dimbo just because she has a fetish with pink.

My favourite has got to be Lucy though :colondollar: although if I could choose one to be my doctor it would probably be Jon. You?

Yes..and then they changed her name to "Barbie." Haha.

Me too, Jon seems quite experienced and down to earth. I guess him and Suzy are 2nd years though so they should be better.
Original post by liviaaa
But if they have all that, then why do they need special entry?

Because some schools are full of idiots who distract the entire class, or poor teaching and fewer resources and these qualities tend to be combined in schools in poorer areas.

For example, say that you gain A*AA at your school. You are one of 5 who do so. You have worked hard and when offered your interview they think "Smart girl, good UKCAT, should fit right in at the school here."

Then take person B. B got ABB. However, he also happened to get the highest grades in his school. His is an achievement as well, though on a lesser scale than yours. However, he also comes from a difficult academic background (mum and dad didn't do university and have few qualifications, they work low income jobs so can't afford tutors or a house next to the "good" school, none of his peers are really doing any A-levels) and so some Medical Schools say "Right, we can see that you've worked hard compared to your peers so come in for an interview and we'll see".

Remember that all the grades, UKCAT, BMAT, work experience and voluntary work doesn't make a doctor - Medical School does that. The interviewers are looking for potential and dedication.
Reply 734
Because some schools are full of idiots who distract the entire class, or poor teaching and fewer resources and these qualities tend to be combined in schools in poorer areas.

For example, say that you gain A*AA at your school. You are one of 5 who do so. You have worked hard and when offered your interview they think "Smart girl, good UKCAT, should fit right in at the school here."

Then take person B. B got ABB. However, he also happened to get the highest grades in his school. His is an achievement as well, though on a lesser scale than yours. However, he also comes from a difficult academic background (mum and dad didn't do university and have few qualifications, they work low income jobs so can't afford tutors or a house next to the "good" school, none of his peers are really doing any A-levels) and so some Medical Schools say "Right, we can see that you've worked hard compared to your peers so come in for an interview and we'll see".

Remember that all the grades, UKCAT, BMAT, work experience and voluntary work doesn't make a doctor - Medical School does that. The interviewers are looking for potential and dedication.

Okay I see what you mean. I can kind of relate, I achieved the top GCSE's in my school with "only" 8 A*, as I didn't go to a private school then. I thought this was really good until I moved to my new school and 15 students got 10 A* with 2 more with 11 A* haha. (Though I'm not complaining with my grades, just a similar principle.)

I understand better now, thanks. :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Okay I see what you mean. I can kind of relate, I achieved the top GCSE's in my school with "only" 8 A*, as I didn't go to a private school then. I thought this was really good until I moved to my new school and 15 students got 10 A* with 2 more with 11 A* haha. (Though I'm not complaining with my grades, just a similar principle.)

I understand better now, thanks. :smile:

I know. Right now I am top of my year at college (I'm applying as a mature student). Unfortunately, this is not a very difficult thing to be...
Reply 736
I know. Right now I am top of my year at college (I'm applying as a mature student). Unfortunately, this is not a very difficult thing to be...

I guess there's advantages and disadvantages. A bit of competition often helps you improve even more, however being the top is a good thing to say on your UCAS as the uni's can take this in to consideration. (Though again this is medicine so I'm not sure if they say all this just to be PC, though then end up taking all the straight A* students anyway etc?)
Original post by liviaaa
I guess there's advantages and disadvantages. A bit of competition often helps you improve even more, however being the top is a good thing to say on your UCAS as the uni's can take this in to consideration. (Though again this is medicine so I'm not sure if they say all this just to be PC, though then end up taking all the straight A* students anyway etc?)

True, but I doubt they will :wink: Competition does help you improve I feel... This one guy can do maths like you can't believe and he beat me by 2 MARKS in the prelim! ARGH. We joke about how I'm getting closer to beating him at something :P it's good to have someone with smarts about anyway...

If I thought Universities were PC, I'd play the single mother card as much as possible.
Reply 738
True, but I doubt they will :wink: Competition does help you improve I feel... This one guy can do maths like you can't believe and he beat me by 2 MARKS in the prelim! ARGH. We joke about how I'm getting closer to beating him at something :P it's good to have someone with smarts about anyway...

If I thought Universities were PC, I'd play the single mother card as much as possible.

Yup it does, especially as I can get quite competitive anyway.. lol. I'm not too bad with marks/percentages.. I just want the top grade in my class haha.

Haha! So if they're not PC, why do they even bother to pretend they have a special scheme for disadvantaged students? :/
Original post by liviaaa
Yup it does, especially as I can get quite competitive anyway.. lol. I'm not too bad with marks/percentages.. I just want the top grade in my class haha.

Haha! So if they're not PC, why do they even bother to pretend they have a special scheme for disadvantaged students? :/

Well, they are PC... Or more inclusive should I say. But medical schools are not required to consider applicants from poor backgrounds. It's not standard across the country - some do, some don't.

My GP, when I was asking about medicine said this: "Don't worry about being top of the class... There will always be someone smarter than you in one area or another. Just do your best and don't take it all too seriously." :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending