The Student Room Group

On the Graduate Scrapheap - 23 with a 1:1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Jimbo1234
Got any figures to back that up or are you the one making blind assumptions? :rolleyes:

Blithe, not blind. And yes, I can provide figures.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/28/new-europe-spain-graduates-emigrate

The rate among graduates in Spain is similar to the rate in the UK. The rate among young people more generally exceeds 40%.

Greece is on about 40%.

Ireland's overall unemployment rate is about 14%, but among people 15-19 it's 37% and among people 20-24 is 26%. http://cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/qnhs.pdf

Germany admittedly has a youth unemployment rate of about 8%, but upping sticks and getting work in Germany isn't a realistic option for most British youths--unless they happen to speak excellent German.

Places with higher unemployment tend to have *worse* unemployment profiles for the young. Germany is slightly different for demographic reasons.
Reply 81
Look it is tough - but i would say where you are failing down is that on paper you are not as good as the other applicants - tough to accept but there it is.

The only way to get ahead of them at this stage with your predicament is to intern or get relevan experience to the role, seriously - you'll have to tough it out, I'd pick one particular grad job and target companies for experience to get on the CV.

7 years at PC world makes you sound like a 'muppet'.

Taking the scattergun approach to grad applications only works if you tick all the boxes - top 20 uni, 3 A's, captian of sports teams or size 8 with symetrical features and big tits.
Reply 82
Original post by davidr123
Look it is tough - but i would say where you are failing down is that on paper you are not as good as the other applicants - tough to accept but there it is.

The only way to get ahead of them at this stage with your predicament is to intern or get relevan experience to the role, seriously - you'll have to tough it out, I'd pick one particular grad job and target companies for experience to get on the CV.

7 years at PC world makes you sound like a 'muppet'.

Taking the scattergun approach to grad applications only works if you tick all the boxes - top 20 uni, 3 A's, captian of sports teams or size 8 with symetrical features and big tits.

PC World? Wrong company tw*t

Anyway what job would you expect a full time student to have out of interest. Let me guess, you sponged of mummy and daddy??
Reply 83
Woah...I wasn't having a go at you - I was being straight up and trying to help. Retail looks crap on the CV.

Intern at a firm geared to where you are applying - you need work experience that fits with the role - any "work" doesn't count - a high street retail chain is awful on the CV aged 23 if you ask me...

Also wrong guess - I paid for uni myself whilst working bars and clubs, but you are right in the case that the jobs you go for are going to have lots of rich kids with interns and parents support - so you better either get the chip off your shoulder and work out how to add value to your CV to get a look in or be a bitter person...and blame it all on not having the right parents and bad a-levels.

Like I say the scattergun application approach works for rich kids/top students only - you need to focus applications - that is where I think you are going wrong.

Firms do not want unfocussed applicants, let me guess you applied to all teh accounting firms as well - with an engineering degree and no practical experience in accounting....

Personally I can't think of anything that makes more sense than working for free for a firm of engineers for 6 months.

Use some common sense!
Reply 84
Original post by goerigi
how did you get into a world renowned uni with those grades?

Well Kingston isnt world renowned. However Cranfield accept students based on there degree grade.
Original post by jjarvis
Blithe, not blind. And yes, I can provide figures.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/28/new-europe-spain-graduates-emigrate

The rate among graduates in Spain is similar to the rate in the UK. The rate among young people more generally exceeds 40%.

Greece is on about 40%.

Ireland's overall unemployment rate is about 14%, but among people 15-19 it's 37% and among people 20-24 is 26%. http://cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/qnhs.pdf

Germany admittedly has a youth unemployment rate of about 8%, but upping sticks and getting work in Germany isn't a realistic option for most British youths--unless they happen to speak excellent German.

Places with higher unemployment tend to have *worse* unemployment profiles for the young. Germany is slightly different for demographic reasons.

Hahahaha! You have to be ****ing joking right?
You are comparing the UK to Spain and Greece? Last I checked we were meant to be a leading country in the EU, not some historically poor or broke country. Also you have to remember that unemployed in the UK is always a bigger problem due to benefits thus the burden on the tax payer significantly increases causing more unemployment and so on...
Also how many graduates do they have coming out each year? Somehow I have a feeling it will be far far less showing just how screwed the UK is.
Original post by davidr123

Personally I can't think of anything that makes more sense than working for free for a firm of engineers for 6 months.

That sounds good and what is even better is that engineering firms always pay their interns too so he doesn't have to worry about support.
Original post by Smack
I talk to engineering students from other universities and their careers advice doesn't seem to put as much emphasis on networking, cold calling and being persistent. A lot are trying their hand at online applications (that are probably not even being read), which are always a bit of a lottery, and I do feel sorry for them.

In fairness (and I don't know if this applies to engineering specifically) for students at a lot of 'non target' universities, networking is very very difficult if you don't have a family contact on the inside, because companies tend to be hostile.

You get Economics/Politics students for instance who are trying to network their way in with think tanks, economic consultancies, political analysis consultancies etc. In those fields internships are a must so you can't avoid having to go for them. However I suspect there is a different approach given to a student who cold calls saying "I'm at Balliol College Oxford doing PPE...." than a student who says "I'm in my second year at the University of Leicester studying Economics and...." at which point the reaction is likely to be "sorry but we are already committed to students for this summer, goodbye". Neither does persistence pay off because that student will become "that bloody nuisance from Leicester who keeps ringing up and sending his CV".

As with everything it comes down to how the figures of supply and demand stack up. If there are 1000 vacancies in an industry and 4000 people trying to get them, then networking, showing yourself to be keen etc, will probably be met by people on the other side being receptive. On the other hand if there's 30 vacancies in an industry and
4000 people trying to get them, then those within are probably fed up to the back teeth of speculative approaches which will be a waste of time.

I do agree that the online application route is always a lottery and most of the time you need some sort of 'in', however I do think most of the time when people have got an internship in a competitive field, its because either a family contact or at least the university name, has made the recipient open minded. Persistence particularly becomes nuisance when the employer doesn't have many vacancies.
Reply 88
Original post by slowhand87
I did a foundation degree first and then a topup year to a full honours degree. Yes i no they are appalling, but you cant change whats happened.

Why didn't you just resit? Surely you'd know your grades would come back to haunt you?
Reply 89
Just out of interest, how do you know the problem is purely to do with your A Level results? Chances are it could be other things working against you. Academic results/ achievements are not everything and often connections and networking can play a bigger role. Chances are the people on the graduate programs have got there through 'other routes' - not necessarily through pure academic achievement. Social skills play a huge part for example. I'm Not saying you lack here, but anyone could go for a job, and regardless of their ability (to a certain extent) be chosen purely based on their social skills/ confidence/ networking skills/ people skills/ ruthlessness etc. Especially if you are going for something like investment banking. I'm not an expert btw, just my two cents.

Sad but true. Hard work isn't always rewarding.
Perhaps someone who understands the points system better than I do can help me here.

I was in the first group of people taking AS levels in 2001/2002. The highest you could gain then was an A not A*.

I think I got A,B,B at AS. B,C,C at A-Level plus a B for a seperate AS. I really have no idea, I cannot remember it was so long ago. I graduated last summer with a 1st and am now doing a postgrad. Will employers want to know about my a-levels from 10 years ago??
Reply 91
I'm on the scrap heap too with a 2:1.

Its not your fault the problem is too many graduates for too few jobs. They are spoilt for choice you can tell this just by the number of hoops you have to jump through these days just to get a CV read.

I've been invited to loads of interviews and assessment centres so have had the practise of being grilled yet I still can't get anything. I think my problem is social skills I'm just not the outgoing smooth talking CS genius they are looking for and never will be. Which is probably more worrying than bad A-levels.

Nothing to do but keep trying.

PS don't read the: "any point in living if you dont get a grad job? " thread .
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by INTit
I'm on the scrap heap too with a 2:1.

Its not your fault the problem is too many graduates for too few jobs. They are spoilt for choice you can tell this just by the number of hoops you have to jump through these days just to get a CV read.

I've been invited to loads of interviews and assessment centres so have had the practise of being grilled yet I still can't get anything. I think my problem is social skills I'm just not the outgoing smooth talking CS genius they are looking for and never will be. Which is probably more worrying than bad A-levels.

Nothing to do but keep trying.

PS don't read the: "any point in living if you dont get a grad job? " thread .

Exactly my point.

Sad but true. Unless you are brilliant in bull****ting, manipulating and charming your way in. Modesty is apparently not an admirable trait anymore. Whereas self-promotion will get you everywhere. So good luck if you are not aggressive, intense and hostile and have morals, values and integrity!!! :frown:
Reply 93
Original post by MTR_10
Exactly my point.

Sad but true. Unless you are brilliant in bull****ting, manipulating and charming your way in. Modesty is apparently not an admirable trait anymore. Whereas self-promotion will get you everywhere. So good luck if you are not aggressive, intense and hostile and have morals, values and integrity!!! :frown:

This makes it sound like you are fishing for external excuses as to why you haven't got a job, so that you don't have to focus on your own flaws. Yes, you need to be able to sell yourself, but you don't need to be "aggressive, intense and hostile". Saying that people who get jobs must be lacking in "morals, values and integrity" is just ridiculous. In fact, if employers sense any of these traits, you will certainly be rejected.

You need to be able to sell yourself and maybe exaggerate slightly without lying or boasting. There is a difference between being modest and being self-deprecating.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
In fairness (and I don't know if this applies to engineering specifically) for students at a lot of 'non target' universities, networking is very very difficult if you don't have a family contact on the inside, because companies tend to be hostile.

You get Economics/Politics students for instance who are trying to network their way in with think tanks, economic consultancies, political analysis consultancies etc. In those fields internships are a must so you can't avoid having to go for them. However I suspect there is a different approach given to a student who cold calls saying "I'm at Balliol College Oxford doing PPE...." than a student who says "I'm in my second year at the University of Leicester studying Economics and...." at which point the reaction is likely to be "sorry but we are already committed to students for this summer, goodbye". Neither does persistence pay off because that student will become "that bloody nuisance from Leicester who keeps ringing up and sending his CV".

As with everything it comes down to how the figures of supply and demand stack up. If there are 1000 vacancies in an industry and 4000 people trying to get them, then networking, showing yourself to be keen etc, will probably be met by people on the other side being receptive. On the other hand if there's 30 vacancies in an industry and
4000 people trying to get them, then those within are probably fed up to the back teeth of speculative approaches which will be a waste of time.

I do agree that the online application route is always a lottery and most of the time you need some sort of 'in', however I do think most of the time when people have got an internship in a competitive field, its because either a family contact or at least the university name, has made the recipient open minded. Persistence particularly becomes nuisance when the employer doesn't have many vacancies.

I'd say that from my (limited) experience, companies recruiting engineering students and graduates (at least for engineering roles) tend to have different attitudes to how you describe think tanks and economic consultancies etc.

The way I've thought about persistence is that it shows that you are keen. And also, that if you hassle HR they will give in and pass on your CV so that they get some peace and quiet. I've heard of this happening often enough as to believe in it. I even did a little bit of it myself for my internship. It doesn't always work like that but I've always been advised to be persistent and since it worked for me I will always advise engineering students to be persistent, too.
Reply 95
Jelkin - spot on, this moaning, whiney, chip on shoulder nonsense is exactly what everyone hates.

Employers are also analysing your ability to solve a problme - i.e. how to get this job...how to meet all the "core competencies" they are looking for.

There is another thread just started by a med student applicant who has been rejected but is re-applying and has been in the meantime shadowing consultants, volunteering in disabled childrens home and so on.

The pro-active people get the job.

Classifying 7 years of retail as "work" is not really going to cut it against focused applicants who can evidence a real drive for the career and commitment...

This is why I think the OP is sending out unfocussed and poor applications - like the majority of people who fail to get these jobs...as for everyone of them there is at least 1 who has really understood what the employer is looking for and how they can add more value than everyone else.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jelkin
This makes it sound like you are fishing for external excuses as to why you haven't got a job, so that you don't have to focus on your own flaws. Yes, you need to be able to sell yourself, but you don't need to be "aggressive, intense and hostile". Saying that people who get jobs must be lacking in "morals, values and integrity" is just ridiculous. In fact, if employers sense any of these traits, you will certainly be rejected.

You need to be able to sell yourself and maybe exaggerate slightly without lying or boasting. There is a difference between being modest and being self-deprecating.
Yes, he put it (ironically) in a rather aggressive and broad-brush way, but it's, of course, true that a lot of good people won't get into 'decent jobs', no matter how hard they try. Now that might not be an argument for not trying, but it's far from a perfect situation. If, however, you've got a decent degree and aren't especially unattractive, there's always hope (even if nothing else).
Reply 97
Well Kingston isnt world renowned. However Cranfield accept students based on there degree grade.

The fact that you have spelt "their" incorrectly several times now screams out that the applications that you send out ought to be proof-read
Reply 98
Original post by Jelkin

Actually I do have a job.

I'm well aware of my strengths and weaknesses. But I'm not prepared to sacrifice my beliefs and values for the sake of money.

You obviously haven't been to many graduate interviews. Some of the people who are on graduate programmes are there not because of what they have done or how hard they have worked but because their relative/ friend has put them there. Often through doing very little but knowing the right person. Thus defeating the philosophy of hard work and reward. Especially in this country, people are so quick to judge. I've witnessed in my job, managers dismissing CVs and applications based on the name of the individual or their nationality. Or bringing in their friend who is quite frankly lazy, useless and unreliable. oh but hes still there because of who he is.

Look it's sad but true. This world has lost its moral compass and your willingness to deny it (or turning a blind eye to it) just makes things a lot worse.

You see it everywhere, people getting jobs is no longer based on merit just as earning a lot of money is not in line with working hard, but exploiting the system. Hence the lack of values and integrity. The fact that somebody can get a good job based not on merit but other means goes against everything the government has encouraged. Study hard, go to university, get experience and prepare a quality application. All of this is now a waste like the OP is saying. They might as well just say lose your values and ignore what is right and what is wrong and just walk over anybody who gets in your way and milk the system for everything you can. Is that the type of society you would encourage? Or the type of society you would want your children growing up in? (btw those questions are not directly aimed at you. More of a general rant at the way this country is!)

err no...employers encourage this type of behaviour more than anyone. You obviously have no idea how business works in this country. Either that or you are working under the ignorance of a corporate umbrella??!!

By the way I'm saying a lot of times this is the case. Obviously not all of the time, but a lot of the time it is.
Reply 99
PC World? Wrong company tw*t

Anyway what job would you expect a full time student to have out of interest. Let me guess, you sponged of mummy and daddy??

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Slowhand87 - you might be a really decent guy who was just a bit lazy or distracted during your A-levels, and has been trying ever since to make up for it. I don't see why that should (in isolation) be any barrier to getting a job.

However, my strong feeling is that the way you see yourself and put yourself across is not attractive to employers. Like I said, in person you might be great. On this forum, you come across as short-tempered, ignorant and a most unsympathetic character.

I don't think it's nice to expose anyone to ridicule, and that's not the purpose of this - the winning formula is that you get a job. If you do it your way, you get to tell everyone on TSR that they are mugs. If you take some advice (rather than just refuse to believe it) what's the harm? More rejections?

Half the people here seem to think that your problem is applications. Why don't you put down your answers to a couple of standard questions? If you've made 40 applications, I'm sure you have the answers ready to cut 'n' paste.

Q1 : Are there are any important mitigating reasons why you feel that the exam results you have listed do not fully reflect your abilities?

Q2 : How do you spend your spare time?

Q3 : What do you do best?

Q4 : Is there anything else you would like to include in support of your application?

Please. Indulge me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending