The Student Room Group

A family pet killed for the way it looks...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by callum9999
Well dogs can, and are, bred for their aggressive temperament - it definitely is biological in many cases.

Saying that, I agree with your underlying message. Just because statistically a breed is more likely to be aggressive, it's no excuse for killing it if it's been looked after properly and shows no signs of aggression.

If their bred to do so. Only several breeds stand apart as dogs with any level of heightened aggression. And even then, its still down mostly to conditioning.
Even an aggressive breed can be conditioned to not be aggressive.
Granted, there's a point in which you can no longer condition them into being temperamental, but that's at about 2 years of age. This dog had been bred from the beginning to be a family pet.

Still, thank you for agreeing. :yep: People need to know the mentality of canines before they take them as pets. I think, anyway. :cool:
Original post by Rant
Doesn't look too friendly.

I wouldn't either if I'd been kept in that tiny room with my own poo for 11 months!
Is that a staff? One of those dogs bit my brothers leg :mad: he had to go to hospital :mad: (my bro, not the dog). Those dogs are brutal.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lewroll
Is that a staff? One of those dogs bit my brothers leg :mad: he had to go to hospital :mad:

This dog had never bit anyone and was sentenced to death anyway.
I am sorry that your brother had a bad experience with a staff, but they are the 5th most popular dog in the UK, for each grumpy one, there are a thousand friendly ones out there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by screenager2004
This dog had never bit anyone and was sentenced to death anyway.

Well its a dangerous breed. And I know lots of children in my area have been attacked by them. Many people (not all) use them as a weapon, or use them to threaten others on the street. I think it would be best if they were illegal.

Obviously i disagree with how that dog is being treated, and because it is already here, it would be wrong to 'get rid of it'. But I think the sale and breeding of all dangerous dogs should be made illegal.
There has to be more to the story - NOBODY with even a speck of common sense will take a dog from a family on aggressive grounds if he's done nothing aggressive in the first place. If this is the case then it's messed up also regardless of what the dog did or did not do he should be kept in better conditions.
Original post by Lewroll
Well its a dangerous breed. And I know lots of children in my area have been attacked by them. Many people (not all) use them as a weapon, or use them to threaten others on the street. I think it would be best if they were illegal.

Obviously i disagree with how that dog is being treated, and because it is already here, it would be wrong to 'get rid of it'. But I think the sale and breeding of all dangerous dogs should be made illegal.

Although I respect your opinion, I couldn't disagree with you more.
I have been to multiple Staffordshire Bull Terrier dog shows, (even won ribbons for best of breed for ours). Bred them, whelped litters of puppies and had them in our family for over 15 years. Males and Females living together in the same house.

Never had a problem. The idea that they are used as a weapon is a media Myth. People interpret someone simply walking his dog as "a thug parading around with it".

I've sat with my dog at the side of the street sharing an ice cream with my dog and people have shouted that it's a "killing machine" - it's just prejudice.

As I said before: the Staff is the 5th most popular breed in the UK, there are literally tens of thousands of them in the UK. Are there tens of thousands of attacks a year? No.
Original post by screenager2004
Although I respect your opinion, I couldn't disagree with you more.
I have been to multiple Staffordshire Bull Terrier dog shows, (even won ribbons for best of breed for ours). Bred them, whelped litters of puppies and had them in our family for over 15 years. Males and Females living together in the same house.

Never had a problem. The idea that they are used as a weapon is a media Myth. People interpret someone simply walking his dog as "a thug parading around with it".

I've sat with my dog at the side of the street sharing an ice cream with my dog and people have shouted that it's a "killing machine" - it's just prejudice.

As I said before: the Staff is the 5th most popular breed in the UK, there are literally tens of thousands of them in the UK. Are there tens of thousands of attacks a year? No.

I understand your problem, yet you cannot deny that certain people use these dogs as weapons or use them to look threatening.

Maybe where you live its fine. I live in London. The only people you see walking with staffs around here, are usually the same people who will mug you and kick your head in.

As I said, many people are attacked by those dogs, my own brother for instance. Just because it doesn't happen on a large scale doesn't mean it never happens. And the fact that it is nearly always these dogs shows that people are using them irresponsibly.

So now we have a problem. Its very unlikely that the entire breed of dog is violent. But when you have these dogs being bred specifically for their violent qualities, you know something is up.

Surely the best thing to do would be to get rid of them completely rather than hoping they will all be nice, or raised properly (like I'm sure your dog was).

I think the conditions your dog is being kept in is disgusting, and they should definitely let it go if it has done nothing wrong.
Original post by Martyn*
Staffs can be very dangerous. They can turn at any moment. One minute they are nice, and the next they are not. Very unpredictable.

Any breed of dog can turn at any moment. Its one of their natural instincts. Remember that all dogs descended from wolves, so therefore they will still have certain characteristics and traits that wolves have. Hence why certain breeds are better hunters than others, certain breeds are more loyal, certain breeds are better guard dogs and certain breeds are more violent.

The only reason so many dogs in the modern world don't is because they have been highly domesticated or they have gone a lot further through the selective breeding process and have been bred with other dogs that have been domesticated.

In response to the OP, I find this shocking to be honest as I frequently see people who own banned dogs in the UK and only recently I've noticed someone who lives quite close to me now owns a Dogo Argentino. ( sorry, I initially put Presa Canario)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by DH-Biker
If their bred to do so. Only several breeds stand apart as dogs with any level of heightened aggression. And even then, its still down mostly to conditioning.
Even an aggressive breed can be conditioned to not be aggressive.
Granted, there's a point in which you can no longer condition them into being temperamental, but that's at about 2 years of age. This dog had been bred from the beginning to be a family pet.

Still, thank you for agreeing. :yep: People need to know the mentality of canines before they take them as pets. I think, anyway. :cool:

Fully agree with this.

Most dogs that are persistently violent or have a bad temperament are because of the way they have been brought up. Any dog can turn and bite someone or attack someone as its a canine's nature to do so, just as humans can see red and snap and murder someone.

I have two Dobermann Pinschers which can grow up to be highly aggressive towards strangers and their owners. However, if they are brought up correctly they will only show aggression towards strangers and not towards their owner, hence why they make such good guard dogs and certain divisions of police forces use them worldwide.
Reply 30
This is so ridiculous..the dog hasn't done anything wrong ! And although the BelfastCC classified it as a dangerous breed..the other dogs from the same litter were classed as labrador crosses :frown:. They need to change their legislation or more dogs are going to be treated like this. I signed the petition etc but not sure how else to help.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Some lol posts here :rolleyes:
I blame the Muslims.
Reply 33
To find out it's my own city council doing this makes me sick, Save Lennox!
Let's bust it out... to arms, TSR activists!! :fuhrer:
Reply 35
Action needs to be taken against that Council. IE, the moral message needs to be get across, this is not some bureaucratic mould you can pour a black and white scenario into. The council has to reconsider [and ideally compensate].
Reply 36
*******s to people saying staffies can turn any minute. Its the owners fault if they are aggressive. Obviously haven't been well trained. Also staffies only have the image of being aggressive because loads of people buy then as fighting dogs.
My next door have a staffy bitch.

She's the funniest, bounciest cutest thing ever.

They also have a 5 year old daughter...

The most aggressive dogs in the UK:
Dachshunds
Chihuahua
Jack Russell
Australian Cattle Dog
Cocker Spaniel
Beagle
Border Collie
Pit Bull Terrier
Great Dane
English Springer Spaniel

http://www.dogbiteclaims.co.uk/dangerous-breeds.html
Reply 38
I'm going to get a lot of hate from dog-lovers but I don't care, because it's what I believe in.

In this case, I trust the law. Although I resent the conditions the dog has been kept in, if it's a proven dangerous breed then it should be put down, as the law says. A dog's track record/history proves nothing. All dogs can snap at any point, and if the dog is e.g. a staff, i.e. extremely muscly, powerful and basically a killing machine, then it is a danger to all.

Also, if I ever see a dog attack a human, I will kill it there and then, and save the courts some cash.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Any breed of dog can turn at any moment. Its one of their natural instincts. Remember that all dogs descended from wolves, so therefore they will still have certain characteristics and traits that wolves have. Hence why certain breeds are better hunters than others, certain breeds are more loyal, certain breeds are better guard dogs and certain breeds are more violent.

The only reason so many dogs in the modern world don't is because they have been highly domesticated or they have gone a lot further through the selective breeding process and have been bred with other dogs that have been domesticated.

In response to the OP, I find this shocking to be honest as I frequently see people who own banned dogs in the UK and only recently I've noticed someone who lives quite close to me now owns a Dogo Argentino. ( sorry, I initially put Presa Canario)

My point, although I may not have implied it, was that Staffs, whilst looking tough and dangerous, can excude the same kind of temperament as a Bordie Collie or any non-fighting dog. Whilst a Collie can turn at any moment like any dog (although I've never personally heard of or seen a dangerous Border Collie), it's appearance does not suggest that it is a dangerous dog at all, unlike the Staff, of course with its brute-like appearance and musculature.

I have first-hand experience with Staffs. Some are pleasant and some are not, but even the pleasant ones can turn, and I know three that have. But I also have first-hand experience with Border Collies, and every one of them I have known have been pleasant and have never turned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending