The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by diamonddust
I got someone asking me if UEA was the University of East London... :s-smilie:

I've had UEL, cue :s-smilie: "why are you going there". Also UAE!! And Anglia Ruskin, as well as just blank looks. And then even more blank looks when I tell people what subject I'm studying.
Overrated - Warwick, York, Manchester, Durham
Underrated - Nottingham, Birmingham, Surrey, Sussex
Reply 282
Original post by gunmetalpanda
I would choose warwick over oxford any day for my subject. And who are you to talk about what's as good as oxbridge? Have you got any idea what the courses at the oxford and warwick and manchester entail?

Don't be silly, LOL.
Reply 283
Original post by A level Az
Overrated - Warwick, York, Manchester, Durham
Underrated - Nottingham, Birmingham, Surrey, Sussex

York is not overrated

Hull is underrated though.
Original post by Millz
Don't be silly, LOL.

What?
Original post by Millz
York is not overrated

Hull is underrated though.

Jeremy Paxman thinks otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjImihUzzk
Anyway the only overrated universities are probably scottish ones like Glasgow, St. Andrews etc. And Durham. Underrated probably the ex-polys, but I have no idea what they are like.
Reply 287
Bristol is over-rated (I go there.)
Underrated - Oxford Brookes, Cardiff, Royal Holloway, Nottingham Trent

Overrated - Warwick, Oxbridge,
Reply 289
Jeremy Paxman thinks otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjImihUzzk

You got jokes, what uni do you go or plan to go?
I hate saying this but Oxbridge is overrated too. Not denying that Cambridge is one of the best unis in the UK alongside a few others, but over-hyped definitely. Especially how the schools promote themselves by posting how many pupils who got in to oxbridge lol.
Original post by Millz
You got jokes, what uni do you go or plan to go?

:biggrin:

Either Warwick or Nottingham, though I'm having doubts about my course and quite fancy the Natural Sciences one Cambridge offers, so if I do exceptionally well I'll apply there and see what happens.
Reply 292
What?

Oxbridge is not overrated, it is just elitist. How can you pick Warwick over Oxbridge, LOL? That is laughable; I personally believe that York is better than Warwick.
Reply 293
:biggrin:

Either Warwick or Nottingham, though I'm having doubts about my course and quite fancy the Natural Sciences one Cambridge offers, so if I do exceptionally well I'll apply there and see what happens.

I got PPE offer from Hull, a SPS offer from York, and waiting on SOAS. I am firming York, I think, but I like the internship at the House of Commons, or European parliament that hull offer.

I still believe Hull to be underrated, when it comes to politics, but the city is a **** hole.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Millz
Oxbridge is not overrated, it is just elitist. How can you pick Warwick over Oxbridge, LOL? That is laughable; I personally believe that York is better than Warwick.

That's because I care more about what I'm learning rather than just going for the name, as cliched as it sounds. I'm interested in doing economics and the course at Warwick is much more interesting suited to my interested than the one at Oxford, filled with pointless modules on management and I think they even have compulsary british history modules which I cba with.

It's laughable to you because you are an illiterate chav. :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 295
That's because I care more about what I'm learning rather than just going for the name, as cliched as it sounds. I'll be doing economics and the course at Warwick is much more interesting suited to my interested than the one at Oxford, filled with pointless modules on management and I think they even have compulsary british history modules which I cba with.

It's laughable to you because you are an illiterate chav. :h:

Lol, an literate chav. You’re a funny kid man. Oxbridge is way better than Warwick for economics that is a fact. My next stop is an MA at London business school; I doubt you could afford it. Bloody peasant, lol.

I did not start this pointless argument.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Millz
Lol, an literate chav. You’re a funny kid man. Oxbridge is way better than Warwick for economics that is a fact. My next stop is an MA at London business school; I doubt you could afford it. Bloody peasant, lol.

You would make sense if you could back your point up by stating how is a pure economics course at Warwick worse than E&M at Oxford for Economics. I'm actually paying international fees for university.
Original post by Millz
I got PPE offer from Hull, a SPS offer from York, and waiting on SOAS. I am firming York, I think, but I like the internship at the House of Commons, or European parliament that hull offer.

I still believe Hull to be underrated, when it comes to politics, but the city is a sh*t hole.

Sounds like you prefer the course at Hull (maybe?) but of course you have to take lots of other things into account. Personally, I believe Nottingham is underrated because of the bad press the city receives. According to figures that I've read, it's on par with Bristol and other universities of the same tier, so perhaps it may be a better choice than Warwick, which I think is very overrated - especially on TSR :redface:
Reply 298
You would make sense if you could back your point up by stating how is a pure economics course at Warwick worse than E&M at Oxford for Economics. I'm actually paying international fees for university.

Well your parents could not afford the fees at Oxford. There is no need to dis the uni. I mean, I do not agree with the elitist attitude they adopt but their research is second to only Harvard in my opinion. How can you not have the best uni when you teach on the cutting edge?
Reply 299
Sounds like you prefer the course at Hull (maybe?) but of course you have to take lots of other things into account. Personally, I believe Nottingham is underrated because of the bad press the city receives. According to figures that I've read, it's on par with Bristol and other universities of the same tier, so perhaps it may be a better choice than Warwick, which I think is very overrated - especially on TSR :redface:

I do agree Warwick is way overrated. Nottingham is an amazing university I believe it to be amongst the top 6, in England, overall. But all university choices (I think) should depend on departments. I have an extra 10k to do a PPE masters at York(for 1year) before I go to London business school, so I think I will opt for York I heard the quality of teaching is of very high quality. Hull is just in too much of a bad location for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending