The Student Room Group

Doubts?

I just wanted to know, did any of you guys have doubts about medicine before going to university? What did you do about them if so?

I've wanted to be a doctor since I was a little kid; and I am now undertaking my AS subjects (Maths, Further, Physics, Chemistry, Biology) at a 6th form.

For some reason, as much as I want to be a doctor - studying medicine just repeatedly doesn't seem for me. My favourite subjects at AS are Maths, Further Maths and Physics. My very favourite being Further Maths. I have never enjoyed or been particularly great at writing - I am much more of a formulas and sums person (though I did get an A* in English Lit GCSE and an A in language so I'm not bad at writing) - so this makes me feel as if I'm more suited to maths.

If only I had as much job security with maths, I feel right now like I would do it in a heartbeat - but I wouldn't ever know what you can even do with maths - I just love studying it immensely.

Also, I know everyone says you have to think about yourself and not what others want, but I can't imagine how upset my parents would be if I told them I didn't want to do medicine. I've tried hinting that I may want to do other things but my mum just seems to get upset. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do in both aspects?

tl;dr - Wanted to do medicine for ages, I love maths though, need advice

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Combine the two, study Medical Science (or a related course) then pursue a career in research where you'll be number-crunching?
I don't think that'd be right for me at all :/ Seems like that would take the worst aspects of both and combine them rather than the best. Maths in medical science would be more statistics than anything else which is my least favourite type of maths.

Thanks for the suggestion though
Let me guess, you have Asian parents that have been telling you to do medicine since you were a kid. That is typical of Asians. I know this as I am one myself.

You should grow a backbone and just do what you want. Don't let your parents rule your life. If your mum gets upset, let her. Just focus on what you want to do and what you want in life.
Reply 4
If I was good enough at Maths I would undoubtedly pick it over medicine.

I would prioritize maths or physics or whatever you want to do at the top unis- Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick (feel free to suggest more)- and if you don't feel you can get in go for medicine.
Reply 5
If you're not sure, don't do it. The application process is stressful enough, and then if you get in and drop out you've taken someone's place who might really have wanted it!

Why did you want to be a doctor in the first place?
Reply 6
Original post by SteveCrain
If I was good enough at Maths I would undoubtedly pick it over medicine.

I would prioritize maths or physics or whatever you want to do at the top unis- Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick (feel free to suggest more)- and if you don't feel you can get in go for medicine.

:confused:
Reply 7
For christ sake do maths. Sounds like you're thinking towards medicine for two reasons:
1. 'Job security'
2. Mummy wants me to do it
Your post illustrates that maths is your thing.

And tell your parent(s) to get a grip.
Reply 8
Original post by Beska
:confused:

A question would allow me address any issues you find particularly confounding.
Reply 9
What you should really do is get some real good work experience under your belt! You'll get a brief glimpse of life in a medical career and as a doctor, but it will be invaluable in making the right decision...

EDIT: ..which is medicine, not maths! :ahee:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
A question would allow me address any issues you find particularly confounding.

I have no problem with the first half (the OP obviously wants to do maths) but using medicine as a backup, what?
Follow your heart - that's my advice, always (within reason!)
Reply 12
Original post by Beska
I have no problem with the first half (the OP obviously wants to do maths) but using medicine as a backup, what?

I think it is easier to get in to study medicine at a university than it is to study maths or physics at one of those universities. If he finds it more interesting and is capable of performing well in STEP, then he should go for it.
Original post by Ayshizzle
If you're not sure, don't do it. The application process is stressful enough, and then if you get in and drop out you've taken someone's place who might really have wanted it!

Why did you want to be a doctor in the first place?

His mother told him to do it or else she will beat him up. Lol.
Reply 14
I think it is easier to get in to study medicine at a university than it is to study maths or physics at one of those universities. If he finds it more interesting and is capable of performing well in STEP, then he should go for it.

That may be, in a few cases, but medicine isn't something you can just stroll on into once you've not got in to Oxbridge for 'Pure Maths with Maths with a year working in Maths'. :borat:

Then again, if the OP is having doubts then they should definitely make a decision about whether or not medicine is right for them..
Reply 15
Original post by Tetanus
That may be, in a few cases, but medicine isn't something you can just stroll on into once you've not got in to Oxbridge for 'Pure Maths with Maths with a year working in Maths'. :borat:

Then again, if the OP is having doubts then they should definitely make a decision about whether or not medicine is right for them..

If he's wanted to be a doctor since he was 4 or whatever he said he's likely, or possibly, going to have some work experience. Other than that, there is the UKCAT, which shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 16
If he's wanted to be a doctor since he was 4 or whatever he said he's likely, or possibly, going to have some work experience. Other than that, there is the UKCAT, which shouldn't be a problem.

You seem incredibly uninformed about the competitiveness of medical admissions...

"There is the UKCAT, which shouldn't be a problem" - have you even sat it???
Reply 17
The UKCAT sucks monster ****, it isn't something you can just 'do' without a bit of prep..
Reply 18
Original post by Beska
You seem incredibly uninformed about the competitiveness of medical admissions...

"There is the UKCAT, which shouldn't be a problem" - have you even sat it???

You cannot surmise from my post count the time spent in Lurk...

And no, but I've sat plenty of practice questions, included in which are those in the 600 book. It is not overtly difficult, and seems to be similar to the standard intelligence quotient test. And though it may be difficult for some, I'd expect those who excel at Maths, and have qualifications in Maths and Further Maths to testify to this, to achieve an above average score.
Reply 19
You cannot surmise from my post count the time spent in Lurk...

And no, but I've sat plenty of practice questions, included in which are those in the 600 book. It is not overtly difficult, and seems to be similar to the standard intelligence quotient test. And though it may be difficult for some, I'd expect those who excel at Maths, and have qualifications in Maths and Further Maths to testify to this, to achieve an above average score.

Haha okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending