The Student Room Group

Girls making the first move!

I'm the type of girl who attracts guys, unfortunately- the wrong sort of guys. After being let down by another idiot today combined with general self pity and a need to be loved- someone on Facebook chat came up who I hardly talk to, but have always wanted to get to know :colondollar:

Usually, I wait for the guy to ask for my number and ask me out- but I decided that I'd be quite bold today rather than playing coy. We were supposed to go on a big trip together with a group of friends a few months ago, and after about an hour of chatting I jumped in with 'yeah, it's a shame- I've always wanted to get to know you better. We still could, you know?' He responded positively but maybe a bit taken-back.

But anyway, chat progressed and we started getting on famously and by then I had started on the second bottle of wine. He said he was going to do an essay, and I thought what the hell, and I asked him if I could be 'extremely forward and ask your [his] number? :biggrin:' He is barely on Facebook or MSN (like once a week, and I couldn't be dealing with waiting around to see when he'd be next online)

But yeah, I got his number and the response that it would be cool to hang out, but I can't help doubting my tactics, thinking that I was horribly forward and maybe a bit needy? :s-smilie: Okay, I know I wasn't a complete brazen hussy- but me asking for a guys number is definitely new territory!

Guys- do you like it when girls make the first move?
Would you feel a bit taken a back if a girl who you kind of knew acted in this way to you? Weird/Flattering?
Any positive experiences? Negative ones?

I know this thread has been done to death, but I used the search function and the last thread I could find was from 2009, so I'd like some fresh opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It would be pretty nice, I mean, we don't have to do the hard work.
Reply 2
Please for the love of God if you like someone just make a move. It does not matter if you are a Girl or Guy.
Reply 3
honestly don't care, seriously. You ask me, i ask you, it's all the same.

if anything it's easier on our part, and being a rather lazy indiviual, that's alright by me :biggrin:
Reply 4
hes probably pleased that it wasnt him having to do the chasing for once :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Would you feel a bit taken a back if a girl who you kind of knew acted in this way to you? Weird/Flattering?

No issues with it. Quite like it myself - I don't get how there's all this harping on about equal rights for women when so many won't take equal responsibility.
Reply 6
I'll be flattered, possibly playing it cool like you girls would. you don't wanna come off overexcited like 'OMG!! I'd love for us to get to know each other, i think you're dead fit!' Sounds like something i could do easily and regret instantly :getmecoat:
Hello 1800s, nice to see you again.
Reply 8
Why is this anonymous? you defied gender role, thats all.

Anyway, this has never happened to me but it would be extremely happy if it did, believing in gender equality and not following gender roles would instantly make a girl more attractive to me.
Original post by dmz
I'll be flattered, possibly playing it cool like you girls would. you don't wanna come off overexcited like 'OMG!! I'd love for us to get to know each other, i think you're dead fit!' Sounds like something i could do easily and regret instantly :getmecoat:

Wanna hit it :hubba:

:getmecoat:
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
I'm the type of girl who attracts guys, unfortunately- the wrong sort of guys. After being let down by another idiot today combined with general self pity and a need to be loved- someone on Facebook chat came up who I hardly talk to, but have always wanted to get to know :colondollar:

Usually, I wait for the guy to ask for my number and ask me out- but I decided that I'd be quite bold today rather than playing coy. We were supposed to go on a big trip together with a group of friends a few months ago, and after about an hour of chatting I jumped in with 'yeah, it's a shame- I've always wanted to get to know you better. We still could, you know?' He responded positively but maybe a bit taken-back.

But anyway, chat progressed and we started getting on famously and by then I had started on the second bottle of wine. He said he was going to do an essay, and I thought what the hell, and I asked him if I could be 'extremely forward and ask your [his] number? :biggrin:' He is barely on Facebook or MSN (like once a week, and I couldn't be dealing with waiting around to see when he'd be next online)

But yeah, I got his number and the response that it would be cool to hang out, but I can't help doubting my tactics, thinking that I was horribly forward and maybe a bit needy? :s-smilie: Okay, I know I wasn't a complete brazen hussy- but me asking for a guys number is definitely new territory!

I know this thread has been done to death, but I used the search function and the last thread I could find was from 2009, so I'd like some fresh opinions.

Yeah i like it when a girl makes the first move, saves me having to do it :P although normally i have to do everything after that :frown:

sounds like you were a bit forward but hey, sounds like it worked. In the future maybe be a little bit more subtle and if you like someone go for it. At least then you wont spend ages waiting for a decent guy to come along. Good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by futuredoc77
Wanna hit it :hubba:

:getmecoat:

OMG! I've always wanted to hit it! you're well fit

-kill me if i ever talk like that :lol:

Yer b, my place or yours? :cool:
Original post by Ivor
Why is this anonymous? you defied gender role, thats all.

Anyway, this has never happened to me but it would be extremely happy if it did, believing in gender equality and not following gender roles would instantly make a girl more attractive to me.

Oh, it's my thread. I was more concerned with people knowing I got the 'I want to keep it casual' talk today and have been on the wine :frown:
Most guys love it when the girl makes the first move. Actually all guys probably prefer it that way.
Reply 14
Tbh the one that makes the move don't usually tend to be attractive and then you have to say yes cos you feel bad if you don't :facepalm:
I'd prefer it actually, because sometimes you're not really sure if a girl likes you or not. So its all good and well to make the move if you're a girl :wink:
Original post by dmz
Tbh the one that makes the move don't usually tend to be attractive and then you have to say yes cos you feel bad if you don't :facepalm:

Well, in this situation- I am the fit one.
Sorry, but it is true.
yah, just wait a day or two before you text him! :smile: x
Original post by dmz
OMG! I've always wanted to hit it! you're well fit

-kill me if i ever talk like that :lol:

Yer b, my place or yours? :cool:
:laugh: :laugh:

I won't kill you, I'll ........ :sexface:

I don't think either one us can wait for the other to get to their house... we might as well both start moving towards each other, and meet half-way and do it in the middle of nowhere.... like dirty and all :sexface:
Reply 19
Original post by lechaton-x
Well, in this situation- I am the fit one.
Sorry, but it is true.

I'm waiting for the day, the times i've been approached, it's never been someone attractive, sometimes kids (had a lot of 13year olds tryna make a move on me when i was 16 :lolwut: which was pretty weird) If a nice girl comes onto me it'd be pretty nice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending