The Student Room Group

BBC THREE: Junior Doctors ... Inspirational?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by niceday
Why so much hate?

The only hate seems to be coming from you.

Don't hate, debate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by No Future
The only hate seems to be coming from you.

Don't hate, debate.

Are you a master debator? :teeth:
Hahahaha this is hilarious, it was pretty much a simple question and somehow it turned into some full blown argument:biggrin:
Basically, i have really enjoyed the series. As someone hoping to apply for med school at the end of this year, it gives a damn good picture of what you're working towards and what i have seen i have found aspirational. That is, the work they are doing and the position they are in. True i like the people on there but i dont find them inspirational because quite simply they are doing what thousands of others do every year. However, i do aspire to be in their position....i think thats where all the bloody confusion is occuring.
So, can we just stop with the petty arguments,agree to disagree and get the hell on with life??:smile:

Why should we care if they are rich?? face it, in reality, most junior doctors do come from good backgrounds because they have lived in areas where the schools maximise their full potential, got good grades because of this and this has led to better things...the programme aimed to show you what life as an F1/F2 is like not the bloody ins and outs of their family tree and parents pay cheques, and it did, simple.
Really some of you over analyse things way too much:P
Reply 63
Original post by digitalis
Are you a master debator? :teeth:

No, she's a master-bator. :wink:
Original post by stephie.u3
Hahahaha this is hilarious, it was pretty much a simple question and somehow it turned into some full blown argument:biggrin:
Basically, i have really enjoyed the series. As someone hoping to apply for med school at the end of this year, it gives a damn good picture of what you're working towards and what i have seen i have found aspirational. That is, the work they are doing and the position they are in. True i like the people on there but i dont find them inspirational because quite simply they are doing what thousands of others do every year. However, i do aspire to be in their position....i think thats where all the bloody confusion is occuring.
So, can we just stop with the petty arguments,agree to disagree and get the hell on with life??:smile:

Why should we care if they are rich?? face it, in reality, most junior doctors do come from good backgrounds because they have lived in areas where the schools maximise their full potential, got good grades because of this and this has led to better things...the programme aimed to show you what life as an F1/F2 is like not the bloody ins and outs of their family tree and parents pay cheques, and it did, simple.
Really some of you over analyse things way too much:P

FFS, it was all sounding OK until you let this bomb drop.
Reply 65
Where's Gizmo?!

hahaa :biggrin:
Original post by lekky
hahaa :biggrin:

PS your avatar looks broken :frown:
Reply 67
PS your avatar looks broken :frown:

what avatar? I've always been too lazy to put one in :frown:
Reply 68
Where's Gizmo?!
Quoted 4 troof!
... Last episode tonight. :eek:

Anyone else going to miss it?
FFS, it was all sounding OK until you let this bomb drop.

Sorry just jumping on the back end of this thread.

Are you seriously arguing that social class of parents, or that which you were born into does not matter in the slightest when accessing best jobs/professional classes? I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, but if that is what your argument is, you are wrong.
Original post by davey jones
Sorry just jumping on the back end of this thread.

Are you seriously arguing that social class of parents, or that which you were born into does not matter in the slightest when accessing best jobs/professional classes? I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, but if that is what your argument is, you are wrong.

I was stating that her post sounded good and neutral until she started putting in opinion.

And as to your point, it's a damn sight easier than many other parts of the world with less mobile social classes, believe me.
Reply 72
Original post by Lily Academia

Original post by Lily Academia
... Last episode tonight. :eek:

Anyone else going to miss it?

Hopefully they at least tell us what's happened to them after filming.
Original post by gozatron

Original post by gozatron
Hopefully they at least tell us what's happened to them after filming.

Ooh, good point. I'd like that :h:

I think this has been quite popular for BBC3 - so hopefully we'll be seeing more medicine-related documentaries in the future.
Reply 74
They've replaced Scrubs with My Name is Earl on E4 and now Junior Doctors is finishing D:

My TV schedule is dwindling :frown:
Reply 75
Lots of arguments going on here about middle class students, and "having it easy" etc. I am a penultimate year medical student, having come back to studying as a mature student due to personal circumstances. Yes, there are a lot of middle class students in my year, however there are a small handful of students who do not have it that easy. I am one of them. I am an independent student, and I do not have rich parents. Yes, I grew up on a council estate, but through hard work (several years of working in the City), I have now brought my own flat.

I wanted to study medicine to enable myself to have a fulfilling job, providing a vital service to the public... so, having calculated the amount of debt I would end up with, I decided to enrol into Med School anyway. I have had to borrow a lot of money. However, in order to reduce my debts, as well as paying my mortgage and improving my cash flow I have funded myself by running my own business, which employs two members of staff full time.

Having watched some of the episodes of Junior Doctors, I am not sure if I am inspired, but rather, I am getting a real taste for the work that I have committed myself to, and I simply cannot wait!!!

My personal obstacles are my own, and I do not expect anyone to pay for them, or to give me any credit for overcoming them. Regardless of where I come from, when I become a doctor, all I want, is to be a good one!... And I think that applies to ALL the doctors who qualify today.
I was stating that her post sounded good and neutral until she started putting in opinion.

And as to your point, it's a damn sight easier than many other parts of the world with less mobile social classes, believe me.

It may be a damn sight easier since the last Labour government increased access to higher education, but that is certainly going to change and we will soon be back to the old ways of only the middle classes entering professions.

How many doctors do you find from the underclass? Compare the ratio of middle class medical student to working class medical students and then consider that in the context of wider society. The answer is obvious, and having some possible social mobility doesn't mean that we live in a fair and equal meritocracy (more of an unfair and unequal plutocracy).
Original post by Harbour Seal
I'm not saying all med students have money-worry-free lives, but this particular group do seem to come from fairly well off backgrounds. They're not exactly from your friendly local council estate are they? There's a distinct difference between "I've only got £30 for the rest of the week because I went out boozing last night, but Mum should be able to tap me some money" and "I can't cope working and studying at the same time anymore, but can't afford not to."

I got a few neg reps on another thread for mentioning they were a bit "rah" and posh when my comments were based on their mannerisms, activities and lifestyle(and where they lived)
Reply 78
Original post by BabySquid
Lots of arguments going on here about middle class students, and "having it easy" etc. I am a penultimate year medical student, having come back to studying as a mature student due to personal circumstances. Yes, there are a lot of middle class students in my year, however there are a small handful of students who do not have it that easy. I am one of them. I am an independent student, and I do not have rich parents. Yes, I grew up on a council estate, but through hard work (several years of working in the City), I have now brought my own flat.

I wanted to study medicine to enable myself to have a fulfilling job, providing a vital service to the public... so, having calculated the amount of debt I would end up with, I decided to enrol into Med School anyway. I have had to borrow a lot of money. However, in order to reduce my debts, as well as paying my mortgage and improving my cash flow I have funded myself by running my own business, which employs two members of staff full time.

Having watched some of the episodes of Junior Doctors, I am not sure if I am inspired, but rather, I am getting a real taste for the work that I have committed myself to, and I simply cannot wait!!!

My personal obstacles are my own, and I do not expect anyone to pay for them, or to give me any credit for overcoming them. Regardless of where I come from, when I become a doctor, all I want, is to be a good one!... And I think that applies to ALL the doctors who qualify today.

Your story is probably more inspirational than any of the junior doctors :smile:
Original post by davey jones
It may be a damn sight easier since the last Labour government increased access to higher education, but that is certainly going to change and we will soon be back to the old ways of only the middle classes entering professions.

How many doctors do you find from the underclass? Compare the ratio of middle class medical student to working class medical students and then consider that in the context of wider society. The answer is obvious, and having some possible social mobility doesn't mean that we live in a fair and equal meritocracy (more of an unfair and unequal plutocracy).

Come to Barts for the day. This social class bs is long finished (pls re: recent Independaant article on % who consider themselves middle class)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending