The Student Room Group

How important is Physics for Medicine?

I am thinking of doing either physics, or French AS and I want to do medicine. I know some universities give priorities to students with contrasting (non-science) subjects, but I wouldn't have enough space unless I dropped a subject like Physics. Would I be advantaged or disadvanted by this?
Reply 1
Original post by Didii
I am thinking of doing either physics, or French AS and I want to do medicine. I know some universities give priorities to students with contrasting (non-science) subjects, but I wouldn't have enough space unless I dropped a subject like Physics. Would I be advantaged or disadvanted by this?

As long as you do chemistry + 1 other science (usually biology) and your other subjects are academic subjects, you will be fine
Reply 2
Original post by Didii

I agree, as far as I know, most unis only require Biology, Chemistry and another academic A2 level subject. Physics isn't mandatory, neither technically is Biology, but having it keeps options open a lot more.

However, it varies, some universities, like UCL prefer a contrasting third subject, whilst others like Imperial demand a third science. It's probably worth drawing up a shortlist of what universities you think you'd like to go to, and checking their admissions website. Ultimately, with your choices, you can't please all of them, you just need to work out which ones you like and pick your options accordingly. :smile:
Physics. It is a science and so it would be more relevant to your studies.
Reply 4
Biology + Chemistry + a language would be pretty much ideal.
Reply 5
I would do all four but that's mainly because I don't find French to be very complicated and beyond a couple of past papers, I wouldn't require more work. Then again, I'm keeping French to AS only (most probably). The A2 French (Lang & Lit) course though, under the CIE board at least, involves the the two papers at AS (reading/comprehension + essay) and two further papers, one of which, I think is a listening comprehension and translation and the other is the literature paper. Shouldn't be very hard if you managed to get a B-A* in GCSE (first lang.) French.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending