The Student Room Group

'Grinding' noise coming from upper back?

Hi,

I've suffered with muscular upper back pain for ages, probably due to my posture when I'm sitting at my desk or driving etc. I had my first back massage a few weeks ago which has helped a lot!

However today I've had a long day at the desk leaning over books etc. I started stretching my arms etc to get the blood flowing around my back or whatever it does and i noticed a soft 'grinding' noise.. in fact it's more like two pieces of paper sliding against each other.

I've been out kick boxing and came back & it's still doing it when i keep my spine straight and move my shoulders side to side, like a swimming motion. It doesn't hurt as I'm doing it. It's around the T3/4 region. It sounds like two vertebra sliding against each other? Anybody had this before or have any advice? I don't want to end up with arthritis tbh :/

Edit: I'm 21 yr old male, no medical history. Get a bit of knee pain now nd then tho :s
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Hi,

I've suffered with muscular upper back pain for ages, probably due to my posture when I'm sitting at my desk or driving etc. I had my first back massage a few weeks ago which has helped a lot!

However today I've had a long day at the desk leaning over books etc. I started stretching my arms etc to get the blood flowing around my back or whatever it does and i noticed a soft 'grinding' noise.. in fact it's more like two pieces of paper sliding against each other.

I've been out kick boxing and came back & it's still doing it when i keep my spine straight and move my shoulders side to side, like a swimming motion. It doesn't hurt as I'm doing it. It's around the T3/4 region. It sounds like two vertebra sliding against each other? Anybody had this before or have any advice? I don't want to end up with arthritis tbh :/

Edit: I'm 21 yr old male, no medical history. Get a bit of knee pain now nd then tho :s

Hey!

I totally know how you feel, My lower back grinds as does my hip joints. I think the best thing to do would be to go to the doctors so that they can check it out :smile: I did that (however had other symptoms with my hips at the time)
How long has this been hapening for?

I don't think you could get arthritis, however i'd still go and see your doctor. They sent me for Physiotherapy :smile: been having it for a bout a year and half now and its still helping me (a little) although they are focusing on my back so its like a free massage!! :biggrin:

I hope all goes welll for you!

xx
Original post by Sianelly
Hey!

I totally know how you feel, My lower back grinds as does my hip joints. I think the best thing to do would be to go to the doctors so that they can check it out :smile: I did that (however had other symptoms with my hips at the time)
How long has this been hapening for?

I don't think you could get arthritis, however i'd still go and see your doctor. They sent me for Physiotherapy :smile: been having it for a bout a year and half now and its still helping me (a little) although they are focusing on my back so its like a free massage!! :biggrin:

I hope all goes welll for you!

xx

Thanks :] I think I will, saves paying £25 for a massage (which hurts, but it's meant to apparently).

The 'grinding' in my back just started yesterday as far as im aware but only when i make a certain odd movement.
Reply 3
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Thanks :] I think I will, saves paying £25 for a massage (which hurts, but it's meant to apparently).

The 'grinding' in my back just started yesterday as far as im aware but only when i make a certain odd movement.

Ahh mine started almost 2 years ago now! :smile: but i'm still not at the proper root cause of the problem.

Yeah, they get the knots out of your back for some reason I always feel really flexible afterwards haha! :biggrin:

I hope all will get better soon for you, hopefully it won't get any worse. If it does its best to go and see the doctor!

All the best

xx
Reply 4
Go see a physio or chiropracter. Don't just expect a free massage though, they'll probably give you exercises to do!
One thing that you can do whilst your sitting in a chair is link your hands and then lean back over the chair, might click your back out, or at least give you a good stretch in your back and get it in a bit of extension!
Reply 5
Original post by djk_99
Go see a physio or chiropracter. Don't just expect a free massage though, they'll probably give you exercises to do!
One thing that you can do whilst your sitting in a chair is link your hands and then lean back over the chair, might click your back out, or at least give you a good stretch in your back and get it in a bit of extension!

Oh your actually studying physiotherapy! How interesting :biggrin: - Yeah but sometimes it does feel like a free massage :wink:

xx
Reply 6
Original post by Sianelly
Oh your actually studying physiotherapy! How interesting :biggrin: - Yeah but sometimes it does feel like a free massage :wink:

xx

Well it is a free massage if they do massage (obviously!), but physios tend to combine treatments and teach more self management stuff now- no point doing a massage for someone, if it just tightens back up within a week and they have to come back every week for the rest of their lives.
But yeah, I enjoy the free massages when I get them!
Reply 7
Original post by djk_99
Well it is a free massage if they do massage (obviously!), but physios tend to combine treatments and teach more self management stuff now- no point doing a massage for someone, if it just tightens back up within a week and they have to come back every week for the rest of their lives.
But yeah, I enjoy the free massages when I get them!

I completely agree! :biggrin: I've been having physio for about a year and half (for various reasons) however its tough! My back has already tightened up so I have to exercises at home but it really does work! I hope I won't have to have it.. but I think i'll be having it for a few more months!

I think everyone would enjoy a free massage! :biggrin:

xx
Hey I have this problem as well! However it’s in my lower back. I’ve always had this so I just assumed it was because my spine sticks out a lot. It feels like bubbles above my spine kind of however they don’t pop or anything ah. I want to get it checked out and this has encouraged me so I think I’ll try to now:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest