The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As somebody who passed his UK driving test on second attempt back in January 2005, I thought I would add something constructive to this thread. However, I couldn't be bothered. It's much more fun to wind up the blinkered, ignorant OP who has quite clearly failed to do any kind of viable research or constructed a cogent, sound argument.

Click here first

Original post by green chica
well, where I'm from if you don't drive at least 50 hours before you take your test it's against the law. I'd assume that people would want to drive that much anyways before they take their test, especially considering how expensive it is.

Via my mother's side of the family, I have a large family presence in the US and have first hand experience of American driving.

Apparently in the USA you don't even need to put insignia on your car showing the driver is an unqualified learner? :lolwut: In the UK, you need to be showing front and back L-plates (or the professional instructors use roof signs as a form of advertising) and the L has to be in a specific shade of red and a specific font and size. I think it's also illegal for a qualified driver to show L-plates while out on their own without a learner in the car.

Driving in the USA is clearly a prime example of education to saturation. You have all these "driver's ed" classes, but really, how does that make you a better driver? Force people to go through all of that, and they will become bored and disinterested while taking nothing in. It's like reading a book about football and expecting a phone call from Fabio Capello the following day.

hahahahahaha! so ignorant! yes, our highways are relatively straight to yours, but the actual roads other than the highways are not. Do you really think they'd just put people on a straight road and say "drive"? come on now, use that thing between your ears.
"hahahahahaha!" That's why most of your towns cities are built on a similar grid pattern as stolen from Edinburgh's New Town (the first place in the world to be arranged in that fashion), is it? You even had the decency to steal some of our town and city names, too :wink: If your actual roads aren't straight, as you claim, why do you have those ridiculous 4-way stops every hundred yards or so? Of course not every road system is like that in the USA, but a very large number are and it's perfectly evident when you spend even one month in the country and tour about, as I did.

Yes, those 4-way stops. The ones that sometimes allow you to jump red lights, depending on what state you are in and what direction you are going :rolleyes:

Oh, and there are many things between your ears. Which one are you talking about? :teehee:

I don't claim to be brilliant, I'm just a "defensive driver". And I'm talking about when they've failed three or more times. Once is understandable, but more than that not so much.
I think we have different definitions of both of those terms. Equally, how does being a "defensive driver" make you a better driver? Sometimes "defensive driving" (nebulous and wide term, by the way - do try and whittle it down some) can be highly, highly dangerous depending on the circumstances.

If you are failing your test three times, it screams to me that the individual is not ready and needs more practice. Why do you assume that they're still a bad driver after that further practice?

yes, there are ****ty drivers. that's been established. 1) you're supposed to be able to adjust to those drivers. 2) there really aren't that many. you make it seem like the roads are filled with people who can't drive worth ****, which isn't the case.
Point 1: Doesn't this kind of bin the idea of being a good driver in the first place? If all drivers drove perfectly 100% of the time, we would have no traffic police (the Highway Patrol guy in his skin tight trousers and modded Ford Crown Victoria would need to find something else to do), no accidents, no insurance companies and no need to even be aware of bad drivers?

Point 2: Beat point 1 with a stick, and try to work it out for yourself.

and, if someone's driving like **** around you, slow down and let them pass.
That, in itself, can be massively dangerous depending on the circumstances. You can easily fail your test in the UK for that despite it being no fault of your own.

and, where i'm from, yes, you have to do 50 hours. Maybe they need to start making that a law in the UK.
We have the hardest driving test in the world, and our drivers are much better for it. Come over here, and try taking our test on our roads... I'd pay to watch that given your evident attitude.

Oh, and 50 hours? That is absolutely nothing. Most people I know spent 100+ hours, and the only people who spent less were people who grew up on farms and already had basic car control skills as a result of driving around fields.

part in bold: that's what you're supposed to be doing in everyday driving, so there's no excuse not to be able to do that on the test if you really feel that you can pass! granted, i don't do that 24/7, but i still try to do that as much as possible, a good three years after i took my test.
Bolding the part about changing gears was a nice touch... are you one of the 9 people in the whole USA that drives a manual (sorry, "stick shift") vehicle?

That, and "passing your test first time" != "being a good driver". Once you pass your test, everything you have been taught gets binned and you become as feckless and dangerous as everybody else on the roads who have been driving for 30 years or more. In fact, UK insurance company statistics often show people who fail their first test are actually more capable and safe drivers when they do actually pass.

Passing first time just leads to false confidence and cockiness. You can have all the driving laws in the world and not change a damn thing - motoring laws are notorious for being flouted the world over.

idk, i just did?
So you say. The burden of proof is on you.

I could get 100% in a medical exam by cramming the textbooks, but am I a good doctor if all of my patients die whilst under my care? Wait, how could I possibly be a bad or often imperfect doctor if I got 100% in the exam? :rolleyes:

oh, you clever clever boy. go and get yourself a lollipop.
Please investigate what "argumentum ad hominem" means.

you'd be correct in that assumption. though i wasn't aware i'd used those words in this thread. O.o
An irrelevant straw man. Information in the public domain is fair game.

and how, exactly can you make that statement? the tests here vary vastly even from state to state, so there's no way you can quantifiably make that statement.
it actually sounds like the US does a better job at making sure the people who take the tests are prepared to take them.
That is the problem with your driving laws, in fact most of your laws. Nothing is consistent from one state or even one county to another, so how is there ever a fair comparison? The only exception seems to be Federal Law.

I do wonder if the USA is physically too large, unwieldy and diverse to the point where central control is too difficult. If it was split down into three or four separate nations, you may see better results across the board.

what does my nationality have anything to do with my knowledge of the world?
Everything, if you're an American Online (bad pun) :teehee: :getmecoat:

and, yes, i am aware that there are different tests, but that doesn't justify people taking a billion times to pass them.
Somehow, I fail to be convinced on that one. :facepalm2:

Not convinced on the second part, either.
Original post by psychocustard
Some people are unlucky - it's also in part down to who else is on the road with you. I saw some bloke on his test yesterday get to the lights just as they changed (and the lights are notorious for changing at the very last second, and very quickly) and failed because he was over the line.

Some people just fall apart under the pressure, and sometimes they've having an off day. Everyone has those.

Tell me, have you actually done yours yet?

I totally agree. And if you ave passed your test- you shouldnt be on the road with that attitude.
Reply 102
Well I almost ran someone over at a zebra crossing and still passed my test. Second time though. So **** you.
Reply 103
Honestly, how is that even possible? It's not that freaking hard to drive. I mean, just think of the most idiotic adult you know. Do they have their license? If the answer is yes, which it most likely is, then how is it possible for people to fail their test two, three, four, five times?! I mean, I guess I can understand failing it one time if you're really nervous, but any more than that is pretty pathetic. Though, at least they're not passing people because that means less bad drivers out there.

Driving in the USA is freaking easy! There is a big chance that you might not even drive stick shifts!
Go to Java and start driving, I bet you won't be as pompous. It's like saying "How did you fail math test, it's so freaking easy!" Well, for some people some things are just harder and you shouldn't be an ass about it.
(edited 13 years ago)
I did a wtf when I saw this thread title. Honestly.
Original post by chlobofro
Not exactly. Everyone has mishaps on the road due to someone else. The amount of people I know who have been driving for a long time and/or have passed their test that have had "idiots on the road" getting in the way and being dangerous is countless. You can't be prepared when a bus has pulled out in front of you without using indicators therefore screwing up your chance of passing.

Actually an integral part of being a good driver is being prepared for things like that. You should be able to perceive potential hazards.
If you fail a driving test, it is always your fault that you failed, not that of another driver who just happened to be on the road.
Original post by Blueflare
If you fail a driving test, it is always your fault that you failed, not that of another driver who just happened to be on the road.

I'm sorry, but that is just rubbish.
Original post by WelshBluebird
I'm sorry, but that is just rubbish.

No, it isn't. Why do you think that it is?
Original post by Blueflare
No, it isn't. Why do you think that it is?

Because I have known people who failed as a direct result of other drivers actions?
I know people who failed, and were told whatever choice they made they would have failed.

Passing the driving test and being a good driver are two totally different things. There are a lot of mistakes that will cause you to fail a driving test that I guarentee you most drivers on the road would be guilty of if they had that situation occur.
Most negs i've ever seen for a post, impressive stuff.
Reply 110
OP poster is an idiot.

All those who say the test is easy, are also idiots.

On a more lighter note, I wonder if the OP can get 100 neg's :smile:
but, as a responsible and prepared driver you should be able to deal with those drivers easy-peasy. I mean, unless they're running straight towards you, but I don't think that happens very often. Sounds like an excuse to me.

Yes, so perhaps the people who fail aren't "prepared"?

People can choose to sit the test virtually whenever they want. I imagine that some people would rather try to pass quickly at the expense of practicing until they are completely flawless.

3 - that's why they require you to have 50 hours at least of driving before you take your test.

No they don't. Next you're going to tell me that they are raising the driving age to 18 and if you are under 21 you only drive a car with a capacity under 1.4.

EDIT: it appears the OP is from the US - no wonder she thinks driving is ****ing easy!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by n65uk
OP poster is an idiot.

All those who say the test is easy, are also idiots.

On a more lighter note, I wonder if the OP can get 100 neg's :smile:

The OP has 100 right now! :giggle:
Reply 114
You are from the land where they don't have many roundabouts because people find them too confusing. Please get lost.
Reply 115
Dear green chica, you're from the US. You can be proud of that as the USA are a great country.
However, you can't drive. You simply can't drive. You don't even drive real cars (a vehicle with automatic transmission is NOT A REAL CAR, it's merely a kids toy). Your driving tests are pathetic. That's right, you heard me. Pathetic. So are your streets and your speed limits.
German car manufacturers actually produce special US-versions of their cars and put the oldest and cheapest technology available to them in them because in the US driving is so ****ing easy and boring that you simply don't need the good stuff. They are still years ahead of everything american manufacturers can come up with, though.
Just compare the US- and the german version of the VW Passat (the one from the MiniDarthVader-ad) and you'll see what I mean.

Drive in the US for 20 years and you still wouldn't be able to pass a german or british driving test. If a Brit fails his driving test 20 times, he is still a better driver than you are.

Jesus Christ...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 116
Honestly, how is that even possible? It's not that freaking hard to drive. I mean, just think of the most idiotic adult you know. Do they have their license? If the answer is yes, which it most likely is, then how is it possible for people to fail their test two, three, four, five times?! I mean, I guess I can understand failing it one time if you're really nervous, but any more than that is pretty pathetic. Though, at least they're not passing people because that means less bad drivers out there.

bad examiner??????????????? I know someone whose examiner touched the clutch or the brake for her, but still passed her. I stupidly did not see a fading stop line, my examiner touched the brake and I was failed. :frown:
Reply 117
Original post by Winning
Dear green chica, you're from the US. You can be proud of that as the USA are a great country.
However, you can't drive. You simply can't drive. You don't even drive real cars (a vehicle with automatic transmission is NOT A REAL CAR, it's merely a kids toy). Your driving tests are pathetic. That's right, you heard me. Pathetic. So are your streets and your speed limits.
German car manufacturers actually produce special US-versions of their cars and put the oldest and cheapest technology available to them in it because in the US driving is so ****ing easy and boring that you simply don't need the good stuff. They are still years ahead of everything american manufacturers can produce.
Just compare the US- and the german version of the VW Passat (the one from the MiniDarthVader-ad) and you'll see what I mean.

Drive in the US for 20 years and you still wouldn't be able to pass a german or british driving test. If a Brit fails his driving test 20 times, he is still a better driver than you are.

Jesus Christ...
d
my mother's friend's daughter has a US licence, but kept on failing the British one!!! I was quite shocked because I thought the examiner might have been too harsh, the day was bad.....
Original post by Winning
a vehicle with automatic transmission is NOT A REAL CAR, it's merely a kids toy

That is actually a good point.
I wonder if the OP has actually driven a manual?
Original post by WelshBluebird
Because I have known people who failed as a direct result of other drivers actions?
I know people who failed, and were told whatever choice they made they would have failed.

Passing the driving test and being a good driver are two totally different things. There are a lot of mistakes that will cause you to fail a driving test that I guarentee you most drivers on the road would be guilty of if they had that situation occur.

I think those people were just saying that they failed because of other drivers. No examiner should fail anyone on the basis of the actions of others. If they do, they are in the wrong and these people you know should probably complain or something.
It is the responses of the driver taking the test that are being tested, not other random drivers. If the driver on the test does not respond appropriately, they fail. That's just how it goes.
Yeah it sucks that luck plays a role here; I know it doesn't seem "fair" that some people get confronted by worse situations than others. But the same is the case on the road in real life. You never know when a tricky situation might confront you. And if you can't cope with such a situation then you shouldn't be passed.

Latest