The Student Room Group

Libya intervention? pfft.. This says it all

Obama Shakes Hands with Gaddafi at the G8 on the 9 July 2009

Still convinced this Libyan Intervention is justifiable?

FYI, those "civilians" that Gaddafi is apparently "killing" are rebel soldiers. This is what happens in times of war.
So far i haven't seen any evidence that Gaddafi is actually torturing his people.

This Libyan Intervention will go out of hand in a few weeks time and then everybody will start protesting about this but ofcourse, it'll be too late then.
I bet you people won't believe any of this but I have my right to an opinion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wonder why is Sarkozy so intent on bringing Gaddafi down? Oh thats right, because he is so unpopular in his own country, bringing Gaddafi down in the name of a "good and justifiable cause" is enough to win back the people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Because everyone else wants him out. Nothing like submission to popular opinion.
Original post by darknessbehold

FYI, those "civilians" that Gaddafi is apparently "killing" are rebel soldiers. This is what happens in times of war.
So far i haven't seen any evidence that Gaddafi is actually torturing his people.

This Libyan Intervention will go out of hand in a few weeks time and then everybody will start protesting about this but ofcourse, it'll be too late then.

don't forget about Blair

Blairs got a lot of money invested in Libya. He was responsible for dealing arms to Gaddafi back in the 90s.
Reply 4
How on earth do past blunders make a rejection of them "unjustifiable"? I couldn't give a toss if Obama changed Gaddafi's nappies, the fact is that the intervention in Libya has prevented mass murder in Benghazi and that is all that matters.
Reply 5
Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers
don't forget about Blair

Blairs got a lot of money invested in Libya. He was responsible for dealing arms to Gaddafi back in the 90s.

It AMAZES me that Gaddafi was literally a friend to the West just a year ago, and now he's a number 1 enemy of them. I bet NONE of the people who are saying that the Libyan intervention is right, even bothered about Gaddafi until this whole Libya Shabang.
Reply 6
Novus Ordo Seclorum.

You'll soon get the picture. Hopefully.
Reply 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eC2fhodSO0

Need I say much else?

Because you're not there. The people that are there have seen it, have reported it and it is happening.
Reply 9
By default I am in support of giving dictators a chance for negotiation as I am of the opinion that isolating them would more likely force them to do their own thing. So one can't say that Gaddafi wasn't given a chance and at such a point he deserves the intervention, especially not only after his attitude towards the rebels but also the crazy things he did even before the recent upheaval in the Arab world (for example his call for jihad against Switzerland)
It AMAZES me that Gaddafi was literally a friend to the West just a year ago, and now he's a number 1 enemy of them. I bet NONE of the people who are saying that the Libyan intervention is right, even bothered about Gaddafi until this whole Libya Shabang.
You clearly don't know history. He's been despised in the west for many years as a man who supports and funds terrorism, destabilises the region and oppresses his people.

It is oil that stopped us intervening for so long, not what is pushing us towards doing so now.
Reply 11
Original post by Suetonius
How on earth do past blunders make a rejection of them "unjustifiable"? I couldn't give a toss if Obama changed Gaddafi's nappies, the fact is that the intervention in Libya has prevented mass murder in Benghazi and that is all that matters.

This isn't the only time he has done crazy things you know :rolleyes:

He has a horrible record of political repression, has assassinated around 25 people internationally and had at one time about 20% of his country under constant surveillance. Let's also not forget his rhetoric and WMD program.

In short, he's been a bad boy for a very long time yet now the "western powers" have come to the rescue.

Yes, better late then never but where were they before? If they couldn't do any military actions beforehand then why not at least boycott him? Why do dozens of deals with him? Why pose with him with those fake smiles?

He was an oppressor before 2011, don't tell me you didn't know?
Reply 12
Original post by In2deep
This isn't the only time he has done crazy things you know :rolleyes:

He has a horrible record of political repression, has assassinated around 25 people internationally and had at one time about 20% of his country under constant surveillance. Let's also not forget his rhetoric and WMD program.

In short, he's been a bad boy for a very long time yet now the "western powers" have come to the rescue.

Yes, better late then never but where were they before? If they couldn't do any military actions beforehand then why not at least boycott him? Why do dozens of deals with him? Why pose with him with those fake smiles?

He was an oppressor before 2011, don't tell me you didn't know?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the question of whether this (yes, this) intervention is "justified" (the very thing the OP was disputing). The fact that Western powers may have been oblivious to his megalomania in the past does not alter the principle in the slightest.
Reply 13
Original post by Suetonius
This has absolutely nothing to do with the question of whether this (yes, this) intervention is "justified" (the very thing the OP was disputing). The fact that Western powers may have been oblivious to his megalomania in the past does not alter the principle in the slightest.

It proves that their was no principle in the first place that they now seemingly adhere to so dearly.

As for your point, the actual intervention was justified but a few points must be remembered:

1- The intention also greatly matters, I really doubt that humanitarian reasons are the sole cause of this intervention, reasons which I'm sure of you know.

2- If the US or NATO are seen to be furthering their self-interest in anyway which is adverse the cause of the Libyan people, their future interests as a sovereign and autonomous country or to meddle in the the future politics of Libya then it is has pretty much destroyed any credibility (if it had any left in the first place) and proves my doubts to be true.
Wait.

Politicians shake the hands of other politicians?

OMGWTFBBQ WE ARE DOOMED

Yes. She's blatantly a Hollywood actor in disguise, provided to the rebels by IMPERIALIST AMERICHUNNZZ!11121 to stir up support for their invasion and OIL!!!!11112112
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Don't believe what they tell you on the news, the BBC is just propaganda. John Simpson is lying scum, he did a report saying that the bodies of civilians killed in the bombing were fake.
Reply 16
Original post by garethDT
Don't believe what they tell you on the news, the BBC is just propaganda. John Simpson is lying scum, he did a report saying that the bodies of civilians killed in the bombing were fake.

Link?
Reply 17
I wonder why is Sarkozy so intent on bringing Gaddafi down? Oh thats right, because he is so unpopular in his own country, bringing Gaddafi down in the name of a "good and justifiable cause" is enough to win back the people.

He is trying to get more votes in France with this War on Gaddafi thing.
Reply 18
Reply 19
Original post by Aj12
Link?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12868074

I agree the farmhouse bit looks dodgy, but even then we don't hear the people speak for themselves.

The first part where he implies the coffins are fake is disgusting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending