The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bexter:)
Hi, ive firmed warwick to study history and sociology. Where is the accomodation close to the building where the classes would be????????

You are going to be heavily based in Humanities (and either the Library or the 24/7 Learning Grid), with a few lectures in the Arts Centre (ACCR) and a handful in Social Sciences. All very central.

Check out this map. Bluebell is the bit in the yellow area below Rootes.

Any halls on central campus will suit you, if you are really wanting to minimise your distance, Tocil and Claycroft are the closest ones to Humanities.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Martik
How do Arthur Vick and Benfactors differ? please :smile:

Both are 30 week corridor accommodation, have en suites and lounges, but that's pretty much where the similarities end :p:

Benefactors was built in the 60s and I think is the first accommodation block built by the university. It is a single building, think of it as a cube. It holds 70 beds, which is made up of 22 single rooms and 24 shared, double rooms. In the centre of the cube, you have the lounge and kitchens (natural light can just be forgotten about) and on the 4 outside faces you have the bedrooms. You do get en suite and showers (in the double room, there is just one toilet and shower, mind).

The double rooms in Benefactors are two stories - the lower floor is work area/chill out space while the top floor is the sleeping area and bathroom/toilet. It's linked by some wooden stairs onto this mysterious platform. It has got a nice big window from which you can look out onto the rest of the concrete around the building. Single rooms are pretty much like all other single rooms on campus (although probably the same size as a JM room rather than a AV room).

When it comes to the lounge, there is only 1, shared by the 70 students living there, and I think there are only 3-4 kitchens. The lounge is unique and pretty cool - you see the corridors through the glass around so you can always have a look in to see if people you know are out of their rooms without traveling far. The kitchens are cramped and hot because of the lack of ventilation and are cooled by a series of industrial fans. There's a good sense of community atmosphere because of this set up - you probably get to meet all of the people you live with in here because of the shared lounge, which is a plus.

I have no idea about the cleaning arrangements for Benefactors, but I assume it is bedrooms fortnightly and en suites weekly. Common rooms, I have no idea - 70 people can create a hell of a mess, since it will be difficult to tell who's plates are left out when there are so many of you.

AV - 13 or so to a lounge and kitchen, so the sharing ratio is better. And hurrah! It's the late 80s/90s so the layout is better so that every room you are in has some sort of natural light source. Possibly the most hotel like of all the halls on campus, AV has massively wide corridors, probably twice the width that of in Cryfield, has lifts and has massive rooms with large ensuites. Large lounge too, note that you share with fewer people. The kitchens, as of this year, are still rubbish though and are as cramped and compact as in Benefactors (but at least they aren't poorly ventilated).

AV is in 3 blocks, each with about 140 or so people in. Each block has 3 floors and 9 kitchens (3 on each floor). So there are about 13 to a kitchen. Possibly the most hotel-like halls, you get your room cleaned fortnightly and bathroom weekly, kitchen/lounge Mon/Wed/Fri.

The layout of AV is more typical - like JM, Rootes and perhaps Cryfield, each kitchen is more separate than what happens in Benefactors. This creates groups within kitchens rather than an entire block. That doesn't mean you can't interact with those not in your kitchen, no, and many people do go to other kitchens and maintain their strongest friendships with them. AV is considered one of the more quiet blocks - in general the people there are more reserved and do not go out as much. But there are always exceptions in every hall.
Reply 3602

Can we get all incoming students who ask questions like: "Which halls are nearest to XXX" and of similar sort which have already been answered to learn how to use the search function or something? :smile:

I mean, it's probably better in the long run, since you're supposed to be independent at University and not expected things to be handed to you on a platter.

*Ok, maybe the above statements were uncalled for, so let's hope that all those posting aren't going to be first year Math or MORSE students, otherwise next year they may get an unpleasant surprise. Especially the MORSE students :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Narev
Can we get all incoming students who ask questions like: "Which halls are nearest to XXX" and of similar sort which have already been answered to learn how to use the search function or something? :smile:

I mean, it's probably better in the long run, since you're supposed to be independent at University and not expected things to be handed to you on a platter.

I think it's more difficult if you want to find out where lectures are for a specific course, but I agree the question 'which halls is nearest to Tesco/the Library/etc' is readily available on this site.

Original post by Narev

*Ok, maybe the above statements were uncalled for, so let's hope that all those posting aren't going to be first year Math or MORSE students, otherwise next year they may get an unpleasant surprise. Especially the MORSE students :smile:

:colonhash:

I also like how my first year tutor has had his attention drawn to the Worries about Warwick thread.
Reply 3604
Original post by Narev

Original post by Narev

Looking over the last months worth of posts in this thread, it seems, as a rough estimate that the most frequent questions are:

Tell me about (some particular) halls (6)
[indent]See the guides at the front of the thread.[/indent]

Closest halls/distance to (some particular) academic building (5)
[indent]All of the halls are within about 15 minutes walk of central campus, but the closest ones are Tocil and Whitefields.[/indent]

Accommodation/storage over holidays (5)
[indent]The letting periods are fixed and cannot be extended. In some halls, you have to move out in the holidays but a small amount of storage space will be available. You can also rent a room elsewhere in campus. In the summer holidays, storage space is available to international students only.[/indent]

Where do international students go? (3)
[indent]There are some international students in halls all over campus. However there may be a higher proportion of international students in halls where you are not required to move out in the holidays.[/indent]

Should I go for ensuite? (3)
[indent]Ensuite rooms are generally more expensive and more likely to be oversubscribed. With non-ensuite rooms, bathrooms are cleaned frequently.[/indent]

What is the difference between Arthur Vick and Jack Martin? (3)
[INDENT]Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29893000&postcount=3481[/INDENT]

Filling in description of yourself on the form (2)
[indent]This description is not used to determine which halls you are allocated to. After you have been assigned a hall, the description will be used to determine which room in that hall you will be given. It is important that you are honest about your personality so that you are with the best group of people.[/indent]

Perhaps we should have something like this (maybe with some changes, I don't mind) towards the top of the thread for people who don't want to read through all of the information?
TheTallOne
?
Reply 3605
Original post by TheTallOne

There's a floor plan in the section Halls>Bluebell at the start of this thread, along with some artists impressions and a link to a live webcam (don't try now, it's night!.
Also the Warwick Accommodation description page here.

Other than that: 505 student bedrooms, arranged into (roughly) 8 bed flats, en suite with shower, all share a kitchen/lounge combo. Each flat has a front door (so it can be separate from other flats if you want). Divided into 4 X shaped blocks, 4 floors high with lifts, maximum of 4 flats on each floor. Location is south of Rootes (see the yellow bit on this map).

Price £145/week for 39 weeks. First year undergraduates only.
For that price I would guess you get your room cleaned fortnightly, bathroom weekly and kitchen on Mon, Wed and Fri.

The rest are pretty much standard WA faculties available in other halls.

Thanks mate! Looks good but does seem a bit pricey to me...I think I may go for Arthur Vick as my en suite choice :smile:
Reply 3606
I think it's more difficult if you want to find out where lectures are for a specific course, but I agree the question 'which halls is nearest to Tesco/the Library/etc' is readily available on this site.

:colonhash:

I also like how my first year tutor has had his attention drawn to the Worries about Warwick thread.

Which one of them? I know one just deleted several illuminating posts as well.
Any particular reason you don't seem to mention Whitefields here? I've heard it's on its way out but as far as I'm aware is being offered for 2011/12 (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/residences/whitefields) and I'd be happy to provide feedback.
Original post by danmart1n
Any particular reason you don't seem to mention Whitefields here? I've heard it's on its way out but as far as I'm aware is being offered for 2011/12 (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/residences/whitefields) and I'd be happy to provide feedback.

Basically this thread is reliant on reviews by people who have actually lived there, and as of yet no one has come forward for Whitefields or Benefactors (or Hurst/Redfern for that matter), probably because they have the smallest number of people living there

But feel free to submit your own review (or even photos :yy:), just follow this post :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Block: Whitefields (12F, but the layout of each house is identical, although some have resident tutors living upstairs)
Summary: The cheapest accommodation on Campus as far as I'm aware, and it shows at times, but it's right in the middle of Campus which is nice.
Pros: As I said, the cheapest housing available at £75 p/w this year, think it might be going up ro £78 or something next year but they all go up every year.
It's properly right in the centre of Campus, 12 is I think one of the closest to the Union so it isn't exactly difficult to get back from a night on Campus, and the bus stops are 2 minutes away if you've been off Campus. I have to say despite the proximity I've never been bothered by Union noise (although I can hear the bass from my bed sometimes) but I always sleep with headphones in so others might notice. As well as the Union, Costcutter is within a minute's walk as is the launderette and post room, sou you've got everything you need right at hand. Tesco is probably a 15-20 minute walk away (although I find journeys can take forever if you go in a group with lots of distractions).
Obviously apart from socially it isn't far from lecture theatres. The furthest away department I have lectures in (Maths) feels like miles away but realistically never takes more than a 6 or 7 minute walk once you've worked out the shortcuts (takes no time).
The place has been a revelation for me socially. Most houses are 12 persons although I believe if you have a resident tutor this will be 9; we have a common room so everyone got to know each other straight away and now we're all really close. I live directly off the common room (as does one other) which is good and bad; I can be in my room doing work without shutting myself off from everyone, but if everyone's about (which seems to be less and less often) I'm pretty much guaranteed to be the last one in bed because of the conversation etc., although I did mention in my accommodation statement that I go to bed late so this could easily have contributed.
As far as the Uni is concerned we're part of Rootes as socials go, so don't be worried about being left out in that regard. In term 1 we had a Rootes alphabet costume party and there was the Rootes Ball this term.
As an extra point, if you're in WF 9-16ish, listen out for fire alarms in the SU. On more than one occasion we've managed to get in the back door for free with all the evacuees on their way back in. But you didn't hear it from me :wink:. Being where we are, even if we don't take advantage we have a regular stream of partygoers (usually girls) using our toilet while they were stuck outside.
Cons: Well, it is the cheapest accommodation available and, to be frank, you get what you pay for. Although I love it, the place is a bit of a dump and Warwick seem to disregard us somewhat. Our roof leaks, the boiler breaks regularly, the oven only works on one side and for the whole of last term only 2 of 4 hobs worked. In term one we had a tiny fridge and freezer, which were both replaced with massive ones over Christmas only for the freezer to decide it didn't want to work very well (not helped by someone leaving it open overnight twice) and having to be repaired.
Additionally, as a 37 week let we had to move all our stuff out for 2 weeks over Christmas, which was a bit of a bitch. You get the top part of your cupboard to keep what you have, which isn't massive but helps. Nevertheless, it was quite annoying and I was happy when it got to Easter and we could leave our rooms however we liked.
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures at the moment (I'll take some when I get back if I remember) but the rooms are a good size; I've been told that they're above avarage compared to the rest of the University.
Overall I would reccommend Whitefields to anyone, and the Pros far outweigh the Cons for me. It must be remembered, nevertheless, that you do get what you pay for, and the place is kind of falling apart, leading to rumours (fact?) that the place is being knocked down in a couple of years so you could be the guys who finally see it off.
Sorry, didn't realise I wrote so much (I do an essay subject :wink:) but hope it's helpful.
Sorry, didn't realise I wrote so much (I do an essay subject :wink:) but hope it's helpful.

Cheers! :h:

Will incorporate it into the front now :smile: (although Cryfield is the cheapest halls)
(although Cryfield is the cheapest halls)

My bad, although there's only £1 in it :P
Though I guess it works out much cheaper overall with the 30 week as well.
Thread updated :smile:
My bad, although there's only £1 in it :P
Though I guess it works out much cheaper overall with the 30 week as well.

Yeah it's alright, just added a small note at the top.

Would be absolutely super if you could take some pics when you get back too!
Reply 3614
how much do we need to pay for launderette per use? If a hall, such as AV, has got integral launderette, so basically people do not have to pay to wash their clothes?

I have looked through the thread and noticed that for international students there is a summer storage available which is fine. However during christmas and easter, for halls such as JM/AV, people can only put their stuff in a cupboard (I assume!?). How are they gonna manage it? Can anyone who had these kind of experience share with us? :smile:

Would it be a risk to go for a flat-hall? As its not like a corridor-type so if I do not get on well with people in the same flat then I am pretty much screwed....?:frown:

thanks for any reply :smile:
Reply 3615
Original post by giggsny

Original post by giggsny
how much do we need to pay for launderette per use? If a hall, such as AV, has got integral launderette, so basically people do not have to pay to wash their clothes?
It's £2 for a wash and £1 for a dry. For each load, it usually takes 1 or 2 dryer cycles to get it dry, so you'd be looking at £3-£4 in total. This is the same for all launderettes across campus.

I have looked through the thread and noticed that for international students there is a summer storage available which is fine. However during christmas and easter, for halls such as JM/AV, people can only put their stuff in a cupboard (I assume!?). How are they gonna manage it? Can anyone who had these kind of experience share with us? :smile:
I haven't had that experience myself, but from what I have seen around, you get a cupboard in your wardrobe with a lock on it. When you're in your room, you use it as a normal cupboard (e.g. to store valuables and other stuff) but for the holidays you put in your stuff, lock the cupboard and then the person using your room won't have access to your cupboard.

There may also be a trunk room system, where there is a cupboard that's accessible from the corridor which is locked usually. At the start/end of term, the cupboard is unlocked to allow people to put in their stuff.

These are the systems available but I couldn't say for certain which are used in which hall.

Would it be a risk to go for a flat-hall? As its not like a corridor-type so if I do not get on well with people in the same flat then I am pretty much screwed....?:frown:

The exact amount that you can access without reaching a locked door will differ from hall to hall. If you do get to know people in other areas then you can always get them to let you in although it won't be as easy as just walking in. It's true that there is a bit of a risk factor here but bear in mind that they match people up by personality so most people will get on fine.
Original post by giggsny

There is a lockable cupboard, (about 1.3m x 0.75m x 0.65m), which you need to buy a padlock for. Additionally, international students get priority for the trunk room, which is available in each block of JM and AV - it gets locked over the holidays, but the few days at the start/end of the holidays it is open and can be taken by anyone (stuff left there is at your own risk).

Flat halls depend: Whitefields is completely isolated, Tocil flats are restricted to blocks (three floors, flat on each floor) of about 30-36 people, perhaps up to 72 if all 6 flats are linked by one stairwell. Then there are large blocks like Claycroft, Lakeside, Heronbank and Bluebell. Note that some flats do have lockable front doors though. Much more info in the flats and corridors section of the guide at the start of this thread.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ttoby
Looking over the last months worth of posts in this thread, it seems, as a rough estimate that the most frequent questions are:

Tell me about (some particular) halls (6)
[indent]See the guides at the front of the thread.[/indent]

Closest halls/distance to (some particular) academic building (5)
[indent]All of the halls are within about 15 minutes walk of central campus, but the closest ones are Tocil and Whitefields.[/indent]

Accommodation/storage over holidays (5)
[indent]The letting periods are fixed and cannot be extended. In some halls, you have to move out in the holidays but a small amount of storage space will be available. You can also rent a room elsewhere in campus. In the summer holidays, storage space is available to international students only.[/indent]

Where do international students go? (3)
[indent]There are some international students in halls all over campus. However there may be a higher proportion of international students in halls where you are not required to move out in the holidays.[/indent]

Should I go for ensuite? (3)
[indent]Ensuite rooms are generally more expensive and more likely to be oversubscribed. With non-ensuite rooms, bathrooms are cleaned frequently.[/indent]

What is the difference between Arthur Vick and Jack Martin? (3)
[INDENT]Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29893000&postcount=3481[/INDENT]

Filling in description of yourself on the form (2)
[indent]This description is not used to determine which halls you are allocated to. After you have been assigned a hall, the description will be used to determine which room in that hall you will be given. It is important that you are honest about your personality so that you are with the best group of people.[/indent]

Perhaps we should have something like this (maybe with some changes, I don't mind) towards the top of the thread for people who don't want to read through all of the information?

Good shout :smile:

Will incorporate at some point, but got my second year essay to do, which TSR is kindly distracting me from :p:

Add lockable cupboards, storage, flats and corridors, switching courses, laundry.

Random Useful Stuff I Haven't Sorted Yet

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3618
Original post by ttoby
It's £2 for a wash and £1 for a dry. For each load, it usually takes 1 or 2 dryer cycles to get it dry, so you'd be looking at £3-£4 in total. This is the same for all launderettes across campus.I haven't had that experience myself, but from what I have seen around, you get a cupboard in your wardrobe with a lock on it. When you're in your room, you use it as a normal cupboard (e.g. to store valuables and other stuff) but for the holidays you put in your stuff, lock the cupboard and then the person using your room won't have access to your cupboard.

There may also be a trunk room system, where there is a cupboard that's accessible from the corridor which is locked usually. At the start/end of term, the cupboard is unlocked to allow people to put in their stuff.

These are the systems available but I couldn't say for certain which are used in which hall.
The exact amount that you can access without reaching a locked door will differ from hall to hall. If you do get to know people in other areas then you can always get them to let you in although it won't be as easy as just walking in. It's true that there is a bit of a risk factor here but bear in mind that they match people up by personality so most people will get on fine.

I know it is a silly question but.. So basically everyone needs to pay to wash even though some halls have integral launderettes?

So its quite risky provided that I am not very sociable to be honest:frown:
Reply 3619
There is a lockable cupboard, (about 1.3m x 0.75m x 0.65m), which you need to buy a padlock for. Additionally, international students get priority for the trunk room, which is available in each block of JM and AV - it gets locked over the holidays, but the few days at the start/end of the holidays it is open and can be taken by anyone (stuff left there is at your own risk).

Flat halls depend: Whitefields is completely isolated, Tocil flats are restricted to blocks (three floors, flat on each floor) of about 30-36 people, perhaps up to 72 if all 6 flats are linked by one stairwell. Then there are large blocks like Claycroft, Lakeside, Heronbank and Bluebell. Note that some flats do have lockable front doors though. Much more info in the flats and corridors section of the guide at the start of this thread.

(about 1.3m x 0.75m x 0.65m) is not very much is it? You cannot really store many belongings in it.

So basically I can store everything in the trunk room, and of course I need to bear all the responsibility for my stuff :smile:

Thanks I am still battling whether to go for a flat hall or corridor hall :mad::tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending