The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Hello fellow re-aps :smile:

I'd like a little bit of advice about what I've just gone and done...

Basically, I've declined my offer for biomedical science. But on track I saw an opportunity to do the foundation year in clinical sciences/medicine (year 0). There is a 125 applicant intake and 20 get to go on to do medicine after the first year into Leeds University to study medicine. Sadly it was a foundation course so I will still have to start the first year of medical school later then I would have liked.

On the plus side, I'll be in education and it provides me with a somewhat easier route into medicine :smile:

Anyway I really didn't fancy a gap year so I've applied. Was it a silly decision or not? I can always decline it if it was a daft idea. I just thought I'd apply asap to get my foot in the door before anyone else takes it.

Comments appreciated :smile:
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Ahh I see, thank you so so much! :biggrin: Thanks for actually bothering to printscreen your UCAS and showing an example :wink: Nah, I'm definitely definitely trying to get all A's and maybe an A*. I know for sure AAB doesn't really suffice anymore and will really limit my options. I'm just worried as to whether these A2 module resits may really hinder my application. :redface: Do you know anywhere where I can check for definite? Hmmm...I'll just make a thread about it. :smile:

No worries :hat2:

"Ohhh I get what you mean Nope, you only need to declare the grades you get at the end of the two years and not the resits. The final grades only have to be declared when they are certificated and only when they are certificated.

Hope that makes sense "
This :ditto:

I'll be lurking around this thread as I'd like to see how everyone does so if there are any other questions that don't get answered quote me into this thread and I'll try to help :yep:

Good luck with your results :h:
Applied for Advanced Highers at Langside College and the SWAP Access to Medical Studies at Stow College!

Universities seem to be taking their time with regards to getting back to me about my application though. :rolleyes: I'm not that difficult an applicant, surely?...
Reply 243
Original post by bigAsh
Hello fellow re-aps :smile:

I'd like a little bit of advice about what I've just gone and done...

Basically, I've declined my offer for biomedical science. But on track I saw an opportunity to do the foundation year in clinical sciences/medicine (year 0). There is a 125 applicant intake and 20 get to go on to do medicine after the first year into Leeds University to study medicine. Sadly it was a foundation course so I will still have to start the first year of medical school later then I would have liked.

On the plus side, I'll be in education and it provides me with a somewhat easier route into medicine :smile:

Anyway I really didn't fancy a gap year so I've applied. Was it a silly decision or not? I can always decline it if it was a daft idea. I just thought I'd apply asap to get my foot in the door before anyone else takes it.

Comments appreciated :smile:

Is it the one at Bradford? Not a daft idea at all as even if it didn't take you to Leeds it would be useful for applications elsewhere. I don't know a huge amount about it but I do know it's a widening participation initiative and they prioritise students from W Yorkshire. If you haven't already it may be worth giving the admissions tutor a ring to find out more.
Hey again :biggrin:
I know this may seem like a silly question, but I'm an EU student so :angelblush: I was hoping someone could explain to me a little about A-levels, since we don't have it in our country.
I was thinking about taking them, so I can have more unis to choose from next year, since my qualification limits my options a little bit and the only uni that I want for next year too and accepts my qualifications is St. Andrews :frown: But I don't understand the difference between A and AS levels and I don't know which of them I should take. :banghead:
Sorry for the long post :colondollar: And thanks :biggrin: :beer:
Reply 245
Original post by Mother2
Is it the one at Bradford? Not a daft idea at all as even if it didn't take you to Leeds it would be useful for applications elsewhere. I don't know a huge amount about it but I do know it's a widening participation initiative and they prioritise students from W Yorkshire. If you haven't already it may be worth giving the admissions tutor a ring to find out more.

Yeah it's the one at Bradford :smile:
I sent them an email earlier and they got back really quickly! I'm happy because I'm from W Yorkshire, woo! I think it will be good for me because I can still apply again for medicine in September, plus the application to Leeds at the end of the year, essentially five medicine applications. Even if I don't get in, I can stick with the clinical sciences and apply again to medicine the year after (to Leeds).

If anyone lives in W Yorkshire here and is considering alternative routes, I recommend this!
Reply 246
Original post by dariadaphne
Hey again :biggrin:
I know this may seem like a silly question, but I'm an EU student so :angelblush: I was hoping someone could explain to me a little about A-levels, since we don't have it in our country.
I was thinking about taking them, so I can have more unis to choose from next year, since my qualification limits my options a little bit and the only uni that I want for next year too and accepts my qualifications is St. Andrews :frown: But I don't understand the difference between A and AS levels and I don't know which of them I should take. :banghead:
Sorry for the long post :colondollar: And thanks :biggrin: :beer:

From what I know, AS levels are taken in 1 year, A levels are taken in 2 years.
Reply 247
Aww this thread makes me happy! Hello little ones :h:

Happy to give advice if anyone wants it!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 248
ah so have all my rejections now :frown: will definately be on this thread more!

Sad situation for all of us. Not sure how I feel, has it sunken in yet?

Also for any of you that checked out thelostmedicsheep.blogspot.com please let me know of any feedback or just comments if you are feeling similar etc!
Original post by roar558
From what I know, AS levels are taken in 1 year, A levels are taken in 2 years.

And to get into a Uni I have to take A levels in three subjects, right ? Does it matter what the third subject is, if I choose the first two Chemistry and Biology ? And one last question: are they difficult ? :frown: Thanks so much for answering :biggrin:
Reply 250
You guys all from england ? :smile:
Original post by fruitfan
You guys all from england ? :smile:

Nope, I'm EU, from Romania :biggrin: You ? :smile:
Reply 252
Interesting. Haha. Ima from scotland
Original post by fruitfan
Interesting. Haha. Ima from scotland

Interesting in a good way, right ? :flutter: Went to Scotland for the first time this year and I really liked it :cute:
Original post by futuredoc77
:hubba:

Ended up on this thread dijya? :ninja:

:five:

LOL yhh khalajan i did :P
hows medicine going for you? got any offers?
Original post by Scarface-Don
LOL yhh khalajan i did :P
hows medicine going for you? got any offers?

Nay kakajan, az kuja shawa. Why do you think I'm on this thread.... :sigh:

:emo:
Reply 256
Okay, now I'm an official member of the thread :smile:

Glad to be part of the group guys! :biggrin:D
Reply 257
Nay kakajan, az kuja shawa. Why do you think I'm on this thread.... :sigh:

:emo:

hahaha :rolleyes: you'll get in this time love :console: we might even end up in same class :wink:
Original post by dmz
hahaha :rolleyes: you'll get in this time love :console: we might even end up in same class :wink:

:crossedf:

And in the same class? :sexface:

Does this mean you're trying again in the first year? :gah:
Reply 259
Original post by twelve
Okay, now I'm an official member of the thread :smile:

Glad to be part of the group guys! :biggrin:D

:crossedf:

And in the same class? :sexface:

Does this mean you're trying again in the first year? :gah:

No but if GEM works out, it'll take me 7years, 3years Beng, 4years GEM. Unless you don't intercalate which i intended to do it's only going to take me a year longer :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending