The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Salford is quite underrated as an all-rounder, especially for languages
Original post by Millz

Original post by Millz
Well your parents could not afford the fees at Oxford. There is no need to dis the uni. I mean, I do not agree with the elitist attitude they adopt but their research is second to only Harvard in my opinion. How can you not have the best uni when you teach on the cutting edge?

In terms of research:

UCL/LSE + Many Ivy league schools > Oxford = Warwick = Essex > Cambridge

In terms of Undegrad course in economics:

LSE/UCL/Warwick/Cambridge/Bristol/Bath and probably a few others > Oxford

Oxford doesn't even have a straight course in economics at undegrad, if you were talking about there post grad then yes, it's world class and the fact it's 2 years imo puts it up there with the best the UK can offer. But regardless the day someone days Oxford's Economics and Management course is better than Warwick's Economics course :facepalm2:
Reply 302
Original post by Aexis
What's your view, mine is:

Most overrated: Warwick, Leeds.

Most underrated: Liverpool, Sussex.

You think Warwick is overrated because it is a new university!
It has achieved far more in its short time than hell holes like liverpool.
and sussex is a joke,lol
Reply 303
these are all good points but... my ass is so sore from such a hard pounding :u:
I have phd offers (in Management) from Manchester and Lancaster.... I am more inclined towards Lancaster because I have a kid and am going alone.... I however want to make sure there is no real difference between both in terms of reputation, research and timing... what do you think?
Reply 305
Original post by lamiaelayouby
I have phd offers (in Management) from Manchester and Lancaster.... I am more inclined towards Lancaster because I have a kid and am going alone.... I however want to make sure there is no real difference between both in terms of reputation, research and timing... what do you think?

I think at Manchester your research will thrive more but not miles away from what it would be at Lancaster. I think you have your head screwed on in not taking a kid to manchester especially given the choice over Lancaster(which is quite nice) so Im sorry I havnt presented much of a debate but you are doing the right thing...also it comes down to your dissertation that will be the defining feature of your Phd not neccessarily where you studied :u:
Original post by lamiaelayouby

What do you plan to do afterwards?
People on here are simply bashing high end universities, which are only overrated by a few places, in fairness though its hard to say which is most over/underrated.
Reply 308
Original post by yoyo462001
In terms of research:

UCL/LSE + Many Ivy league schools > Oxford = Warwick = Essex > Cambridge

In terms of Undegrad course in economics:

LSE/UCL/Warwick/Cambridge/Bristol/Bath and probably a few others > Oxford

Oxford doesn't even have a straight course in economics at undegrad, if you were talking about there post grad then yes, it's world class and the fact it's 2 years imo puts it up there with the best the UK can offer. But regardless the day someone days Oxford's Economics and Management course is better than Warwick's Economics course :facepalm2:

Oh please, I can tell you either go to Warwick or aspire to go there; it is not better than oxford for economics at pre or post grad.
(edited 13 years ago)
I dont believe a university CAN be overrated. A university degree's value is determined by the university reputation more than anything else.
Original post by HistoryRepeating
I dont believe a university CAN be overrated. A university degree's value is determined by the university reputation more than anything else.

Reputation with whom?

Employers?
Young employers?
Old employers?
Employers in your town?
Employers in particular Industries?
Applicants?
Headteachers?
Parents?
Customers and Clients?
Academics?
Work Colleagues?

And then reputation for what?
Original post by nulli tertius
Reputation with whom?

Employers?
Young employers?
Old employers?
Employers in your town?
Employers in particular Industries?
Applicants?
Headteachers?
Parents?
Customers and Clients?
Academics?
Work Colleagues?

And then reputation for what?

All of the above.

And why not ask that question of the OP / all those answering ("overrated by whom? for what?")
Original post by Millz
Lol, an literate chav. You’re a funny kid man. Oxbridge is way better than Warwick for economics that is a fact. My next stop is an MA at London business school; I doubt you could afford it. Bloody peasant, lol.

The things you learn etc etc etc...............

At the last Research Assessment Exercise (2008), the authoritative and most up to date assessment of research quality in the UK, Warwick achieved exactly the same rating as Oxford and did slightly better than Cambridge.

It is an outstanding department

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-economics-and-econometrics
Original post by HistoryRepeating
All of the above.

But those reputations may be very different.

And why not ask that question of the OP / all those answering ("overrated by whom? for what?")

Surely a university is overrated or underrated when the opinions of those who are not knowledgeable differs from the opinion of those who are knowledgeable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Overrated: Leeds xD
Wow is Warwick that bad? All the people dismissing it, have they even seen it/been to it?

Is Coventry all that crappy? I was told it's old and undeveloped, just not modern or urban like.
Reply 316
The 1994 group in general is underrated seeing as it's universities tend to be on a par with the Russell Group but nobody's heard of it...
Original post by lightningfist
Wow is Warwick that bad? All the people dismissing it, have they even seen it/been to it?

Is Coventry all that crappy? I was told it's old and undeveloped, just not modern or urban like.

Depends what you mean by old. It was flattened during the war and rebuilt in the architectural style known as 1950s shopping precinct.
Original post by nulli tertius
But those reputations may be very different.

Surely a university is overrated or underrated when the opinions of those who are not knowledgeable differs from the opinion of those who are knowledgeable.

Same problem applies.

So for example, Oxbridge is overrated as employers of cleaners because to non-cleaners one might assume they pay above the odds and have better than average benefits but if you work in cleaning you know they actually pay a pittance and have crap benefits.

'overrated for what purpose and by whom?' Is an important question
Reply 319
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
Up here in Scotland, I would say Robert Gordon's in Aberdeen is very over rated. For some reason, people seem to think it is a brilliant university, because there is a private school of the same name.

Glasgow is under rated IMO. Many people think "Glasgow" and think tinky, poor, etc...

People in Scotland are quite narrow minded...

The reason why people talk about Robert Gordon so highly is the graduate employment record the university has. Check the stats if you don't believe me.
Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh shares the same name as an independent all girls school in Edinburgh, and the uni not that highly rated.

I would also say that Glasgow (its a good uni) is FAR TOO over rated as they want AAAA for most subjects. St. Andrews are AABB

At the end of the day you come out of university with a degree, no matter what institution it was from, it's the opportunities that are available at uni and making the most of them. That is what makes a person employable and the last time I checked, that why most people go to university... to get a job!

Latest

Trending

Trending