The Student Room Group

Practicing Medicine abroad

After studying medicine in the UK, What are my chances of getting job abroad?

This question is very important, because my number one priority in life is to move out of this country and never come back. No offence to anyone, but I really hate the UK and there are countless countries that I would rather live in, even If I would get paid less.

I am only going to pursue medicine if I have a fighting chance of getting a job abroad. There is no way I'm going to work in the UK for the rest of my life, but I am open to any other country. So my question is-

If I keep trying and trying, Will I eventually be able to get a job in a hospital abroad?
Why don't you study abroad then? I'm not being facetious, I'm being serious. If your intention is firmly not to work in the NHS, why train in it? There are plenty of EU medical schools, and ones further afield, and having recently met a graduate of Charles Uni (Prague) who seemed as competent as the UK trained FY1s he was working alongside, I can't really criticise.
If you don't want to work for the NHS, maybe you shouldn't be expecting them to stump up a quarter of a million pounds to train you. Becca-Sarah makes a valid point about going abroad.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
If you don't want to work for the NHS, maybe you shouldn't be expecting them to stump up a quarter of a million pounds to train you. Becca-Sarah makes a valid point about going abroad.

Couldn't agree more.
Reply 4
i can understand what you mean, see i am kenyan and would love to go back and i am applying for medicine this year but the thing is, i will be staying in the uk if only for a while, i feel bad about the training even though it's my second degree and i will be paying for it,....still dont know how yet, but i am hopind of going either to kenya or the US at some point but i know you need a test for the us so that would have to be mid-career....good luck on what you do, at the end of day we can tell you that it's not right and all that but it's up to you, maybe try doctors without borders (medicine sans frontier) or mercy ship, google it, and then after that see if you like working outside the UK..... Good luck!
x
Reply 5
Original post by Cheesecakefactory
After studying medicine in the UK, What are my chances of getting job abroad?

This question is very important, because my number one priority in life is to move out of this country and never come back. No offence to anyone, but I really hate the UK and there are countless countries that I would rather live in, even If I would get paid less.

I am only going to pursue medicine if I have a fighting chance of getting a job abroad. There is no way I'm going to work in the UK for the rest of my life, but I am open to any other country. So my question is-

If I keep trying and trying, Will I eventually be able to get a job in a hospital abroad?

Chances are good, Australia, Singapore, NZ all spring to mind.

And there is nothing wrong with wanting to practice in another country. Call me cynical, but juniors seem to get systematically shafted at every opportunity by the powers that be here.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Why don't you study abroad then? I'm not being facetious, I'm being serious. If your intention is firmly not to work in the NHS, why train in it? There are plenty of EU medical schools, and ones further afield, and having recently met a graduate of Charles Uni (Prague) who seemed as competent as the UK trained FY1s he was working alongside, I can't really criticise.

I am definitely considering that, but won't I have a disadvantage by studying in a different education system?
Reply 7
Original post by Cheesecakefactory
I am definitely considering that, but won't I have a disadvantage by studying in a different education system?

Disadvantaged for what?
Original post by Beska
Disadvantaged for what?

Disadvantaged to getting a place at the uni.
Reply 9
If I were you, I'd do the training here, complete the foundation programme and then go abroad. People have different preferences and some value the experience of living abroad and working in a different culture valuable. I wouldn't stay under any sense of obligation, seriously, life's too short and it's not like anyone at the top gives a shiny ****e about you

I didn't know I wanted to live abroad until I was halfway through med school, but I would wait until you're fully registered with the GMC, trying to register with other medical councils in the world with only your primary medical qualification isn't impossible (not in NZ anyway) but improbable. I know of someone who did it, she completed her equivalent FY1 year in NZ last year, but she had to jump through a load of hoops. Another friend of mine completed her FY1/FY2 years over here and then went to NZ, it the application was a breeze in comparison.
Reply 10
Where are you thinking of going abroad? Europe? Auz/NZ? USA? Asia? Opportunities are highly variable depending on where you go.

I would recommend doing at least F1 in the UK so that you get your full registration - will save a lot of hassle in the long run. After that, a UK medical degree is recognised pretty much everywhere, though in some places (esp USA) you will be at a disadvantage applying for jobs against native graduates.
I'd quite like to move abroad too after either foundation years or specialiy training (assuming everything goes to plan and I actually get in next year). It probaly sounds really stupid but my main reason for wanting to move is not because I hate the NHS, but because I hate Scottish weather...its so depressing! :frown: I can't imagine spending the rest of my life in a country where it rains constantly and there is a distinct lack of summer. In saying that, there's always south of England (Cornwall, etc) where apparently it is sunny and warm quite a lot :p:
Original post by ScottishShortiex
I'd quite like to move abroad too after either foundation years or specialiy training (assuming everything goes to plan and I actually get in next year). It probaly sounds really stupid but my main reason for wanting to move is not because I hate the NHS, but because I hate Scottish weather...its so depressing! :frown: I can't imagine spending the rest of my life in a country where it rains constantly and there is a distinct lack of summer. In saying that, there's always south of England (Cornwall, etc) where apparently it is sunny and warm quite a lot :p:

You're on the wrong side of Scotland is all :wink: It barely rains up here!
Reply 13
Original post by Jules89
i will be paying for it,....
Please do. :rofl:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
You're on the wrong side of Scotland is all :wink: It barely rains up here!

But is it not colder and snowier in Aberdeen? :p:

Quick Reply

Latest