The Student Room Group

Any point?

Is there any point reapplying for medicine this year even if I get AAA but have only 2A* 7A 2B at GCSE or should I try and get a first in a degree as the competition is too high against people with better GCSEs (yes I may not enjoy it but I'll do what it takes to do medicine and will work hard for at least a 2:1). Also I got 670 in the UKCAT last year if thats anything to go by so not bad but nothing special, obviously I would have to do it again. If I was to reapply I think I would go for Manchester, HYMS, Barts and the like.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also while I realise there's far more competition at GEP, don't they mostly look at the degree so I would be more on a level footing with the other candidates as the won't take my GCSEs into too much consideration.
Reply 2
Gap year reapply. Apply wisely. review weaknesses. Dont do a degree. Getting a first is not easy. Competition is hard.
Reply 3
Original post by LewDacris
Gap year reapply. Apply wisely. review weaknesses. Dont do a degree. Getting a first is not easy. Competition is hard.

But with those GCSEs would it be more realistic to pusue a different career altogether?
Reply 4
Haha, love how people think 7As at GCSE is somehow crap.
Reply 5
i got 2A* 6As 2B...got a place, but i have a 2.1 degree. I wouldnt recommend that route. Although i only REALLY decided to start medicine while at uni. With those GCSE's you'll do fine. They arent bad at all. Just dont apply to university that put stress on excellent GCSE's
Reply 6
Yes, reapply. Those GCSE's are not stunning but they're not terrible.

Original post by navarre
Haha, love how people think 7As at GCSE is somehow crap.

It's relative.
Reply 7
Well it is considering How easy it Is to get A*s, how much I know I slacked and the med school against the norm for other degrees do actually look at GCSEs.
Reply 8
Definitely reapply! I've got the exact same GCSEs as you. Just apply wisely. You'll be a doctor in no time! :ahee:
Original post by LewDacris
i got 2A* 6As 2B...got a place, but i have a 2.1 degree. I wouldnt recommend that route. Although i only REALLY decided to start medicine while at uni. With those GCSE's you'll do fine. They arent bad at all. Just dont apply to university that put stress on excellent GCSE's

Is there an easy way to find out which universities stress a lot on GCSE's, like a list or something?
Reply 10
Original post by slew
Well it is considering How easy it Is to get A*s, how much I know I slacked and the med school against the norm for other degrees do actually look at GCSEs.

GCSE's are only easy in hindsight. Looking back now, it's ridiculous how anybody could get less than 10 A* but the fact of the matter is that you're looking at it through rose-tinted glasses. At the time they were the hardest thing you have ever done and were impossible, so really it isn't easy to get A*'s - you need to look at it pragmatically. Sure, you slacked, you were 15-odd so don't worry about it too much. Pull your finger out now and get your A2 grades and then reapply smart, avoiding medical schools which require high GCSE grades. Your GCSE's are not 'bad' in the slightest. In terms of A*'s they are below average, but in terms of A*/A they are decidedly average/above average. Don't worry about it.
Reply 11
Original post by Beska
Yes, reapply. Those GCSE's are not stunning but they're not terrible.

It's relative.

No, it's not. 7 As at GCSE IS good. There's no two ways about it. Most people in the country would be happy with 1 A.
Reply 12
Original post by navarre
No, it's not. 7 As at GCSE IS good. There's no two ways about it. Most people in the country would be happy with 1 A.

We're talking about medicine admissions. Stop spewing your crap. 7 A's would be good if "most people in the country" [sic] applied to medicine but they don't - those with high GCSE's do. You're compared with others in your cohort, not with "most people in the country". Move along.
Reply 13
Original post by Beska
GCSE's are only easy in hindsight. Looking back now, it's ridiculous how anybody could get less than 10 A* but the fact of the matter is that you're looking at it through rose-tinted glasses. At the time they were the hardest thing you have ever done and were impossible, so really it isn't easy to get A*'s - you need to look at it pragmatically. Sure, you slacked, you were 15-odd so don't worry about it too much. Pull your finger out now and get your A2 grades and then reapply smart, avoiding medical schools which require high GCSE grades. Your GCSE's are not 'bad' in the slightest. In terms of A*'s they are below average, but in terms of A*/A they are decidedly average/above average. Don't worry about it.

You're absolutely right but I reckon I could have easily got around 5 as I never really found GCSEs hard, nor A-levels for that matter, when I say I slacked I quite literally did no work at all for 2 years, and I'm quite disappointed about that.
Reply 14
Original post by slew
You're absolutely right but I reckon I could have easily got around 5 as I never really found GCSEs hard, nor A-levels for that matter, when I say I slacked I quite literally did no work at all for 2 years, and I'm quite disappointed about that.

If you want to study medicine, reapply. Don't go down the GEM route because it is significantly more competitive and odds are you won't end up with a place!
Reply 15
Original post by Beska
If you want to study medicine, reapply. Don't go down the GEM route because it is significantly more competitive and odds are you won't end up with a place!

Thanks for the advice yours is always excellent, but do you reckon already having achieved A-levels will make GCSEs ever so slightly redundant for those unis that don't have a cut off?
Reply 16
Original post by slew
Thanks for the advice yours is always excellent, but do you reckon already having achieved A-levels will make GCSEs ever so slightly redundant for those unis that don't have a cut off?

No problem! It very much depends on the university - I emailed around last year (I can't remember which universities, or which responded) asking that very same thing - if the A2 profile supersedes the GCSE profile. Some said yes, some said no, some said it doesn't matter. So my advice would be to contact medical schools asking them for their advice - but for the most part, if you apply to medical school which don't use the GCSE's in their selection procedure (Newcastle come to mind immediately - they only require 5 C's or something silly at GCSE) you should be okay.
Original post by mike2niner4
Is there an easy way to find out which universities stress a lot on GCSE's, like a list or something?

Just go round to every university website and check there req's. thats what i did, compiled my own list. If you're serious about medicine its not exactly a pointless and boring task.
:cool:
Original post by slew
But with those GCSEs would it be more realistic to pusue a different career altogether?

No.

Unless you don't want to be a doctor?
Reply 19
Original post by No Future
No.

Unless you don't want to be a doctor?

Of course I do, I wouldn't mind being a professional footballer either, I was just asking if it was realistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending