The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by Harbour Seal
Well, they are PC... Or more inclusive should I say. But medical schools are not required to consider applicants from poor backgrounds. It's not standard across the country - some do, some don't.

My GP, when I was asking about medicine said this: "Don't worry about being top of the class... There will always be someone smarter than you in one area or another. Just do your best and don't take it all too seriously." :lol:

Hahaa it's easy for a GP to say when they have it all already :tongue: When we was applying, he probably only needed 3 B's for medicine!
Reply 741
Original post by liviaaa
Hahaa it's easy for a GP to say when they have it all already :tongue: When we was applying, he probably only needed 3 B's for medicine!

Indeed. That's why I think doctors, especially senior doctors, simply cannot relate to us. it has gotten progressively harder to get into medical school since they applied.
Reply 742
Original post by navarre
Indeed. That's why I think doctors, especially senior doctors, simply cannot relate to us. it has gotten progressively harder to get into medical school since they applied.

Yes I know :/ My Mum got AABD... and she says if she wanted that was good enough for Oxbridge medicine back then!
Original post by maemg
Biology chemistry physics and maths!! St.Andrews, Southampton, Dundee and not sure about last one

if you dont mind me asking, how are you finding those A levels? I want to do medicine and i'm starting my a levels next year- thinking of doing exactly what you are but i was wondering if it might be a slight over kill:smile: It's physics really that i'm talking about- i'm finding it really hard to decide,:confused: so i was just wondering how you find doing all four?
:colondollar: thanks!
Reply 744
Original post by amandakelly
if you dont mind me asking, how are you finding those A levels? I want to do medicine and i'm starting my a levels next year- thinking of doing exactly what you are but i was wondering if it might be a slight over kill:smile: It's physics really that i'm talking about- i'm finding it really hard to decide,:confused: so i was just wondering how you find doing all four?
:colondollar: thanks!

Sorry to but in.. I do maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. The uni's don't mind as much about your 4th one (assuming it's vaguely related to the others), as the majority don't take it to A level anyway.

I therefore would think carefully about taking those 4, as they would have the greatest challenge, where as you could pick something a bit easier like psychology - which because is easier enables you to work more on your other A levels to ensure the all important A's.

If you think you can cope do Physics, if not I'd take a not as pressuring subject so you don't compromise your overall AS grades.

Just my opinion. :smile:
Reply 745
No problem,my advice is only do them if you have a flare for them,depending on your examining board (i do ccea) the subjects cross over a good bit which is really helpful e.g. some people in my class who don't do maths found physics hard. At the moment they're going pretty well but be prepared to put in alot of work, i'm finding physics all-right but its chemistry that gets me sometimes . They're really helpful for uni's like st.andrews who have a very scientific medical course. From my work experience and i found alot of medicine relates to physics, not sure if other courses have this but ccea also have a medical section in their spec. i.e mri+ct scans and endoscopy's.
Hope that was helpful !
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
Sorry to but in.. I do maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. The uni's don't mind as much about your 4th one (assuming it's vaguely related to the others), as the majority don't take it to A level anyway.

I therefore would think carefully about taking those 4, as they would have the greatest challenge, where as you could pick something a bit easier like psychology - which because is easier enables you to work more on your other A levels to ensure the all important A's.

If you think you can cope do Physics, if not I'd take a not as pressuring subject so you don't compromise your overall AS grades.

Just my opinion. :smile:

yes that's exactly what i was thinking! I do enjoy physics but i'm not really sure how much i'll enjoy it at the complicated a level stage and i did have exactly that worry- that it will be too much and that i will just go into total meltdown and badly regret it:smile: It's werid because i was dead certain about doing psychology up untill a few months ago- lots of people have put me off it saying that it isn't seen(by unis)as a very 'respected' subject at a level:smile: but i think it sounds very interesting and quite exciting, what is it like? Also, how do you find maths?is it really difficult-compared to gcse?
Thanks for your reply and good luck with applying!
:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 747
yes that's exactly what i was thinking! I do enjoy physics but i'm not really sure how much i'll enjoy it at the complicated a level stage and i did have exactly that worry- that it will be too much and that i will just go into total meltdown and badly regret it:smile: It's werid because i was dead certain about doing psychology up untill a few months ago- lots of people have put me off it saying that it isn't seen(by unis)as a very 'respected' subject at a level:smile: but i think it sounds very interesting and quite exciting, what is it like? Also, how do you find maths?is it really difficult-compared to gcse?
Thanks for your reply and good luck with applying!
:smile:

You're right in that psychology isn't regarded as well as physics, however like I said if it's only your 4th subject that you will drop for A2 and it ensures you get good grades in other subjects, I think it's a pretty simple decision.

It's quite good, it's a nice change from all my other subjects, as you don't need to think as hard. Some bits are interesting, other bits are a bit boring but you just have to learn them.

Maths is my favourite subject. :smile: It's a step up, but it's managable and after a few months it all seems to slot into place a lot better.

Thanksss! You too :smile:
Original post by maemg

Original post by maemg
No problem,my advice is only do them if you have a flare for them,depending on your examining board (i do ccea) the subjects cross over a good bit which is really helpful e.g. some people in my class who don't do maths found physics hard. At the moment they're going pretty well but be prepared to put in alot of work, i'm finding physics all-right but its chemistry that gets me sometimes . They're really helpful for uni's like st.andrews who have a very scientific medical course. From my work experience and i found alot of medicine relates to physics, not sure if other courses have this but ccea also have a medical section in their spec. i.e mri+ct scans and endoscopy's.
Hope that was helpful !

yes, i've definately heard that medicine relates alot to physics, that's really why i'm having a hard time making decisions! :smile: I suppose most people have to put in alot of work to get the good grades because generally, a levels are hard but the thing is i'm not sure whether realistically i would with physics because, as you say, i don't have a flare for it-the electricity and stuff really bores me :smile: oh well, still got plenty of decision making time left anyway- need to think carefully
thanks very much! good luck
2012 re-applicant singing in (Y)
UKCAT prep time after final A2 exams
Yayyyyy . . .
Original post by bethalex
hey:smile:
i actually had my heart set on art for a while before deciding i liked science more, then it was biomedical sciences at uni for a few months, then i got into thinking that i could do medicine after i graduated, then i just thought if i'm gonna do medicine after, why don't i just do it in the first place! i definately feel in a much better place now that i know what i want to do for definate, even if it does mean i have to pay the extra tuition fees:frown:
i don't mind at all, i got A's in biology, chemistry, maths and textiles, and then a B in critical thinking.
What about you, how are you finding it?:smile:

Oh right:smile: that makes more sense. Why waste 3years doing something you don't really want to do.
I'm studying biology, chemistry, maths, english lit and german. Its all going well I think:smile: where are you thinking of applying?
Nice A2 grades btw!
Reply 751
Original post by joemullally
2012 re-applicant singing in (Y)
UKCAT prep time after final A2 exams
Yayyyyy . . .

Awh no :/ I admire you for trying again, if I don't get in I'll just take up my 5th option - midwifery/nursing I think..

If you don't mind, why do you think you didn't get in? Lack of work experience/grades etccc? Just wondering to try and help my application! Thanks
Reply 752
Original post by maemg
Hope that was helpful !

Hi, just want to ask how are you finding physics? I do CCEA too but I don't get to go to all the physics classes because of timetable difficulties. Do you get any textbooks or other resources?
Original post by liviaaa
Oh okay.

I'm guessing they must only give out about a handful of applicants them though for each course, as for medicine they don't exactly need to do it, other than to be politically correct as they already have too many candidates with lots of A*'s etc.

Personally I don't always think it's fair, I understand people may have been at a disadvantage, but what about if they get a place rather than someone who got all A*s, a great UCAS form, plenty of work experience and voluntary service etcc?

Original post by Harbour Seal
Because some schools are full of idiots who distract the entire class, or poor teaching and fewer resources and these qualities tend to be combined in schools in poorer areas.

For example, say that you gain A*AA at your school. You are one of 5 who do so. You have worked hard and when offered your interview they think "Smart girl, good UKCAT, should fit right in at the school here."

Then take person B. B got ABB. However, he also happened to get the highest grades in his school. His is an achievement as well, though on a lesser scale than yours. However, he also comes from a difficult academic background (mum and dad didn't do university and have few qualifications, they work low income jobs so can't afford tutors or a house next to the "good" school, none of his peers are really doing any A-levels) and so some Medical Schools say "Right, we can see that you've worked hard compared to your peers so come in for an interview and we'll see".

Remember that all the grades, UKCAT, BMAT, work experience and voluntary work doesn't make a doctor - Medical School does that. The interviewers are looking for potential and dedication.

I totally agree with Harbour Seal, i mean myself for example, although i acheived the 8 A*s at gcse and have loads of work experience and voluntary, i went to a terrible school in a terrible area where i was actually bullied for being smart. Then my parents didnt even attend college, my dads retired due to ill health too so ive never been able to have any help whatsoever, ive just had to do everything on my own, so to be honest i think people in these sort of situations deserve all the help they can get after everything they may have had to go through to get there in comparison to others :smile:
Reply 754
Original post by NatatatATTACK
I totally agree with Harbour Seal, i mean myself for example, although i acheived the 8 A*s at gcse and have loads of work experience and voluntary, i went to a terrible school in a terrible area where i was actually bullied for being smart. Then my parents didnt even attend college, my dads retired due to ill health too so ive never been able to have any help whatsoever, ive just had to do everything on my own, so to be honest i think people in these sort of situations deserve all the help they can get after everything they may have had to go through to get there in comparison to others :smile:

I'm exactly the same.. 8 A*'s, work experience and voluntary - bad high school. But what I'm saying is that we still managed to achieve everything (and even more than some) of the other students that went to private schools etc, so I don't see the need to have such a division when you could get in anyway with what you have. :smile:
Reply 755
Original post by cz100
Hi, just want to ask how are you finding physics? I do CCEA too but I don't get to go to all the physics classes because of timetable difficulties. Do you get any textbooks or other resources?

Hi am our physics teachers are pretty terrible at explaining alot of the stuff so I've had to self-teach myself most of the course,ccea have a textbook-its course specific and is really good for the practical stuff but i suggest you have a look in your library for calculations books if you dont already do maths, they're also helpful for electricity and lenses and stuff aswell, also try Advanced Physics i've heard good things about it.
I find physics good it just takes a bit of work to 'crack the code' .
Reply 756
yes, i've definately heard that medicine relates alot to physics, that's really why i'm having a hard time making decisions! :smile: I suppose most people have to put in alot of work to get the good grades because generally, a levels are hard but the thing is i'm not sure whether realistically i would with physics because, as you say, i don't have a flare for it-the electricity and stuff really bores me :smile: oh well, still got plenty of decision making time left anyway- need to think carefully
thanks very much! good luck

If your planning on doing maths as well its a good chunk out of module 1 covered twice so that's a positive, it does take hard work but medicine is hard work ,and in my opinion i feel that if your going to study medicine your going to face all the sciences and a candidate should have an good interest in all of them.
but on the other hand lots of people get into medicine by not doing the 3 sciences and maths and at this point in time that's what really matters.

Haha don't worry about electricity it bores everyone and some F1's and F2's at my work experience and even some oxbridge students i know said they never actually understood it they just managed to get by!! But don't do physics if your not going to enjoy it do the subjects you enjoy and have a knack for, you will get a far better grade that way!!!
Original post by liviaaa
I'm exactly the same.. 8 A*'s, work experience and voluntary - bad high school. But what I'm saying is that we still managed to achieve everything (and even more than some) of the other students that went to private schools etc, so I don't see the need to have such a division when you could get in anyway with what you have. :smile:

WOOO *high five* :smile: and yeah i do understand that it can be seen as pretty unfair and kind of unneseccary in that we can do it without it anyway :smile: but considering how hard it is to get in usually and with the uni fees going up to ridiculous amounts, we might aswell use every bit of help available to us :smile: and also with birminghams one, if you get the actual standard offer instead of the lower offer you get a scolarship for the fees, so thats the main reason im applying through it :biggrin:
Reply 758
Original post by maemg
Hi am our physics teachers are pretty terrible at explaining alot of the stuff so I've had to self-teach myself most of the course,ccea have a textbook-its course specific and is really good for the practical stuff but i suggest you have a look in your library for calculations books if you dont already do maths, they're also helpful for electricity and lenses and stuff aswell, also try Advanced Physics i've heard good things about it.
I find physics good it just takes a bit of work to 'crack the code' .

Yeah I've got the CCEA book but have found numerous mistakes in some of the exercises and examples! I also have the Collins Advanced Science book and it's good except there's hardly anything on sound which has quite a big part in the CCEA syllabus. Which Advanced Physics are you talking about? AP4U?
Original post by maemg

Original post by maemg
If your planning on doing maths as well its a good chunk out of module 1 covered twice so that's a positive, it does take hard work but medicine is hard work ,and in my opinion i feel that if your going to study medicine your going to face all the sciences and a candidate should have an good interest in all of them.
but on the other hand lots of people get into medicine by not doing the 3 sciences and maths and at this point in time that's what really matters.

Haha don't worry about electricity it bores everyone some F1's and F2's at my work experience and even some oxbridge students i know said they never actually understood it they just managed to get by!! But don't do physics if your not going to enjoy it do the subjects you enjoy and have a knack for, you will get a far better grade that way!!!

Thankyou, that is very reassuring! :smile: The thing is i do generally enjoy physics, it's just some parts of it that we have been covering recently in class(hmm electricty), that have put me off doing it for a level, as i genuinely doubt that i would be ablt to keep my self awake whilst somebody rambles about amps and volts(in more detail!) - However,you are now making me think again:smile: Plus,i think part of my boredom is due to my irritating teacher who just writes and writes on the board with out actually explaining anything! But he wont be teaching alevel, so there's more food for thought !:smile:
thanks again :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending