The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Crash
Thanks - appreciate the advice.

I guess this is an occupational hazard for medics?

Yes. I get questions from friends at uni, home and from relatives. Bit ridiculous since I haven't done any clinical training so any guesses is just from pre-clinical knowledge... I always tell them to just get it checked by an actual doctor though
Interesting discussion near the end of this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=157866&page=92...
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Stuff

Met 2 lovely lady orthopaedic surgeons today, a consultant and reg :smile:

Original post by It could be lupus
Yes. I get questions from friends at uni, home and from relatives. Bit ridiculous since I haven't done any clinical training so any guesses is just from pre-clinical knowledge... I always tell them to just get it checked by an actual doctor though

I got asked before I even had started the course...
Original post by Wangers
Met 2 lovely lady orthopaedic surgeons today, a consultant and reg :smile:

There are tons of female reg's here. And they have partners, and children!! It is possible! :tongue:

After that whole discussion about letting other students practice on you, I went to physio today and let the student physio do everything. I felt uncharacteristically nice.

Yep, it's never going to stop.
There are tons of female reg's here. And they have partners, and children!! It is possible! :tongue:

After that whole discussion about letting other students practice on you, I went to physio today and let the student physio do everything. I felt uncharacteristically nice.

I think it definatly makes a difference who the mentors are though, they can teach you in a nice or not so nice way.

Orthopaedics sucks for me atm, 8am trauma meetings every day atm, got blasted apart there today presenting a radiograph.

Not so much there is a fracture, I need to fix it, but there is a fracture, I need to see it...
Original post by Wangers

Original post by Wangers
I think it definatly makes a difference who the mentors are though, they can teach you in a nice or not so nice way.

Orthopaedics sucks for me atm, 8am trauma meetings every day atm, got blasted apart there today presenting a radiograph.

Not so much there is a fracture, I need to fix it, but there is a fracture, I need to see it...

I'm doing ortho too atm :five: (and rheum)

I met an orthopod with ankylosing spondylitis yesterday :smile: Nice to see that a condition such as that doesn't mean you have to give up your job.
Original post by Wangers

It's fairly easy to guess which bone the fracture will be in though just from what x-ray you're looking at - if it's an AP pelvis and lateral hip, then it's a hip fracture, and you just trace Shenton's lines on each side, the disrupted one is the broken one, and then you just look at the cortex of the neck for whether it's intra or extra capsular. If you go through all the demographic stuff when you present (ie start with "This is a radiograph of Mrs Smith, age 74, taken today. It's an AP and lateral of the left knee." etc) then you give yourself enough time to spot the fracture without standing there going "errrrmm".
It's fairly easy to guess which bone the fracture will be in though just from what x-ray you're looking at - if it's an AP pelvis and lateral hip, then it's a hip fracture, and you just trace Shenton's lines on each side, the disrupted one is the broken one, and then you just look at the cortex of the neck for whether it's intra or extra capsular. If you go through all the demographic stuff when you present (ie start with "This is a radiograph of Mrs Smith, age 74, taken today. It's an AP and lateral of the left knee." etc) then you give yourself enough time to spot the fracture without standing there going "errrrmm".

I missed every fracture in fracture clinic yesterday:tongue:, despite it being young lucid people giving good histories. Me and fracture XRs - the force has not yet worked. I was so happy when I thought I'd got one at the end of the day, turned out to be a growth glate. :angry:

Also, have been given 'homework' to swot up on hand anatomy by my consultant...Nightmare, lovely consultant though, leart lots.
Reply 2470
revision is doing my nut in already! argh.
Original post by Tech
revision is doing my nut in already! argh.

Good man - if you're started already you'll be laughing. The max time needed is 2 months.
I think I did 1.5 months for first year and 1 month in second year.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I'm doing ortho too atm :five: (and rheum)

I met an orthopod with ankylosing spondylitis yesterday :smile: Nice to see that a condition such as that doesn't mean you have to give up your job.

You get on the wards in the first year @ UEA?

Wonder how they do it?

In Cambridge all the female surgeons seem to have filthy rich husbands so can afford to pay a small army of nannies to look after their children. Aside from this, having a house husband or taking part time training (which still seems to be looked down upon by many senior surgeons) seem the only alternative ways.
Original post by RollerBall

Original post by RollerBall
You get on the wards in the first year @ UEA?

Yeah. I was on the wards in the first module back in January :smile:
Wonder how they do it?

In Cambridge all the female surgeons seem to have filthy rich husbands so can afford to pay a small army of nannies to look after their children. Aside from this, having a house husband or taking part time training (which still seems to be looked down upon by many senior surgeons) seem the only alternative ways.

Aye, I heard Helen Fernandes (Neurosurgeon?) speak in London a few weeks ago, and the whole high flying career plus several children thing suddenly seemed so much understandable when she said that her husband was the director of Rolls Royce :rolleyes: I'm planning on making the boyf into a house husband :colone:
I've learnt the meaning of a orthopaedic emergency- when the projector is broken and so you can't big screen the x-rays...
Reply 2477
Original post by Philosoraptor
Good man - if you're started already you'll be laughing. The max time needed is 2 months.
I think I did 1.5 months for first year and 1 month in second year.

I hope so! any tips? :wink: I always do way worse in the MEQ than anything else so I plan on doing lots of practice there.

also I heard the face comes up more than you'd expect in the spotter so I'll put in some extra hours there too.. :crossedf:
Original post by Tech
I hope so! any tips? :wink: I always do way worse in the MEQ than anything else so I plan on doing lots of practice there.

also I heard the face comes up more than you'd expect in the spotter so I'll put in some extra hours there too.. :crossedf:

Er... ask Wangers - I barely remember 2nd year exams now haha.
But I mean the obvious of going over all the lecture notes/syllabus.

Make sure you know physiology really well/pharmacology because that's what big MEQ questions will be on. Anatomy yes - but that's more on multiple choicey stuff.
You had any PAL sessions
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Yeah. I was on the wards in the first module back in January :smile:

I really don't understand the point of this. Barts does it as well, so it's not a UEA diss.

Latest

Trending

Trending