The Student Room Group

How much does interrailing Europe cost?

I am about to graduate uni and am considering travelling around Europe for a month in August. I assume many people have done this before so how much did it cost and where did you go?

I want to go to Germany, Austria, Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Netherlands and maybe Scandinavia.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I will certainly appreciate any information anyone can give. Thanks a lot for reading

xx
Original post by dinotopiaisawful
I am about to graduate uni and am considering travelling around Europe for a month in August. I assume many people have done this before so how much did it cost and where did you go?

I want to go to Germany, Austria, Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Netherlands and maybe Scandinavia.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I will certainly appreciate any information anyone can give. Thanks a lot for reading

xx

It depends how long you want to go for. I don't mean to come across too harshly but typing interrail into google would have given you the exact price list for the various passes as the first result...

http://www.interrailnet.com/interrail-passes/interrail-global-pass

I personally think it's too expensive - especially considering the good availability of budget flights, but it does give you a level of flexibility you won't have otherwise. If you want to move around a lot in a short amount of time it would probably be beneficial as well.
Reply 2
Im also spending a month in Europe but in September and my budget is £2,000. Im going to a lot of places that you have mentioned i.e. Germnay, Czech republic, Slovenia and croatia, but im guessing Scandanavia is going to be more expensive, also due to the time your going in expect to pay a bit more for accomodation and travel
Hope this has helped :P
It depends how much you want to pay for food and accommodation really. I know quite a few people who have done it, and apparently the key is good planning. For example, if you're looking to keep the cost down, you can check all the trains in advance and go on sleeper trains across countries and use those instead of a hotel. They won't be the most glamorous place you've ever slept, but I've slept on them myself before and it was fine. :smile:
I did a one country pass for two and half weeks, went to 7 cities in italy- as it was a shorter trip the pass was cheaper than your one will be but the country is more expensive than any that you're going to so probably evens out, which is why i'm putting my 2cents in- o think cheeese589 has it right, mine came to £1000 altogether so £2000 for a month would do you easily i'm sure, especially as eastern europe is very cheap. be careful that you know when you do and don't have to pay extra surcharges by the way, ticket checkers will be extremely annoyed if you haven't paid it and you're on the train claiming you 'didnt know'- a guard threw two guys off the train for it in the middle of nowhere for not paying the 5 euro surcharge.

have fun, it'll be brilliant.
Original post by Cheeese589
Im also spending a month in Europe but in September and my budget is £2,000. Im going to a lot of places that you have mentioned i.e. Germnay, Czech republic, Slovenia and croatia, but im guessing Scandanavia is going to be more expensive, also due to the time your going in expect to pay a bit more for accomodation and travel
Hope this has helped :P

Cheers, are you travelling alone for the month? Your response did help, i have friends in most countries i am visiting so accommodation should be okay for me i think
Original post by dumbus_blondus
I did a one country pass for two and half weeks, went to 7 cities in italy- as it was a shorter trip the pass was cheaper than your one will be but the country is more expensive than any that you're going to so probably evens out, which is why i'm putting my 2cents in- o think cheeese589 has it right, mine came to £1000 altogether so £2000 for a month would do you easily i'm sure, especially as eastern europe is very cheap. be careful that you know when you do and don't have to pay extra surcharges by the way, ticket checkers will be extremely annoyed if you haven't paid it and you're on the train claiming you 'didnt know'- a guard threw two guys off the train for it in the middle of nowhere for not paying the 5 euro surcharge.

have fun, it'll be brilliant.

Thanks a lot for your response. That train story is a bit scary!
Reply 7
Original post by dinotopiaisawful
Cheers, are you travelling alone for the month? Your response did help, i have friends in most countries i am visiting so accommodation should be okay for me i think

Yea i am, and considering i'll bearly be 18 when i go im a little scared :L excited at the same time though! haha :P
That'll save you a lot of money then, at least a quater of my budget is being spend on accomodation lol

Quick Reply

Latest