The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4180
Original post by lionboy
So (and not intending to dis but..) you could do like a politics degree in the same time you do rowing which seems insane....6 hours a day is alot for even olympic standard particularly when the exercises themselves are often at maximum out...usually take at least a days rest for muscle tissue to repair ect'...i can imagine your rowing team has alot of injuries and would be very easy to beat :l

Just saying what it said in the Metro.

I don't row, and I was saying the schedule for the Cambridge rowing team (I assume Oxford's is similar.)
You're welcome to pit yourself against them.

http://www.waterrower.com/press/?p=158

If you read the right hand column, near the picture of the student, it says "6 hours a day, 6 days a week, for 6 months a year."
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4181
Original post by Mann18
Just saying what it said in the Metro.

I don't row, and I was saying the schedule for the Cambridge rowing team (I assume Oxford's is similar.)
You're welcome to pit yourself against them.

http://www.waterrower.com/press/?p=158

If you read the right hand column, near the picture of the student, it says "6 hours a day, 6 days a week, for 6 months a year."

okay I cant imagine it being literal unless the training isnt actually that intense...and i doubt ill make the uni team :rolleyes: so will never know what it feels like to race them
Reply 4182
Original post by nuttynatz
Just got an offer from Warwick today :smile::smile:

Congratulations!:biggrin: That's great! Do you mind me asking you what sort of grades you applied with etc? Only because I applied in early October and I have still heard nothing - I'm trying to figure out whether they reject people after they have sent out their offers or vice versa. Oh the stress haha! :smile:
My UCAS Track 2011 ended this morning, finally got a reply from LSE- a rejection. I'm annoyed that they took so long to make this decision. But anyway, I'll be firming UCL and insuring Kent, maybe I'll see some of you guys on this thread this September!

UCAS Miscellanous: offers from UCL(AAA), Durham(AAA), Queen Mary(AAA), Kent(AAB)
Rejection from LSE
Rejection from warwick. Boo.
UCAS is now finished, with york and reading offers recieved. Nottingham, Oxford and warwick rejected.
Reply 4185
Original post by Shiny Happy Person
Rejection from warwick. Boo.
UCAS is now finished, with york and reading offers recieved. Nottingham, Oxford and warwick rejected.

:^_^: i like york
Just got an offer from Warwick for Law and French, have one other offer from Aberdeen for Law and French.... which would people recommend?
Reply 4187
Kings got back to anyone yet?
Reply 4188
Original post by Motatious
Just got an offer from Warwick for Law and French, have one other offer from Aberdeen for Law and French.... which would people recommend?

Warwick then you can be friends with me :smile:

They're quite far apart, which is closer to home? Is that a factor?
Original post by viola146

I see that you finally made the decision of picking your firm. Did the campus aspect of Warwick swing it for you?

Well an Aberdeen law degree only counts as qualifying in Scotland, and a Warwick one only counts as qualifying in England & Wales, so it depends on where you want to live and work for the rest of your life!! You'll need to do a year-long conversion course, essentially a full GDL, to go from scots to english law and I imagine it's much the same the other way around. Really, that should be a FAR bigger factor in making up your mind about which to accept than how good each is for law - and indeed, as they are teaching entirely different courses for entirely different legal systems, you can't really compare them anyway.
Original post by Vinchenko
Well an Aberdeen law degree only counts as qualifying in Scotland, and a Warwick one only counts as qualifying in England & Wales, so it depends on where you want to live and work for the rest of your life!! You'll need to do a year-long conversion course, essentially a full GDL, to go from scots to english law and I imagine it's much the same the other way around. Really, that should be a FAR bigger factor in making up your mind about which to accept than how good each is for law - and indeed, as they are teaching entirely different courses for entirely different legal systems, you can't really compare them anyway.

Well i don't actually intend to practise law, so which type I study isn't as much of a factor. I'm Irish and definitely wont get a chance to visit what with exams and that, so thought I'd wing a bit of advice from people who know a little bit more about the system than me.
Original post by viola146

I'm from Ireland, so it's not a factor in the slightest. Now I'm from Dublin, so I'm pretty used to living in a city but I'm fairly sure I could adapt, so that's not a bother. I'm just not so savvy on British Uni's as I should be for this decision...
Well i don't actually intend to practise law, so which type I study isn't as much of a factor. I'm Irish and definitely wont get a chance to visit what with exams and that, so thought I'd wing a bit of advice from people who know a little bit more about the system than me.

What do you intend to do? Consulting, banking, etc? That would help narrow the selection.
Reply 4194
Still waiting for Warwick to reply...
Rejection for Law at Kings.

Well, that would make more sense! Though it is extremely unusual for someone to go onto a law course without any intention of pursuing it further; though only around 50% do at the end of it, well over 90% have some intention of pursuing it when they start. Anyway, Aberdeen is a much older and prettier university (assuming you're not a fan of brutalist architecture) and it's also much closer in to the city centre, whereas Warwick was built in the 1960s (as opposed to the 1490s) and is, quite honestly, in a field near Coventry (which isn't exactly the nicest city in the world). That said, they both have very good academic reputations, but Warwick is much closer to London and other major cities whereas Aberdeen is very far North in Scotland and quite a trek from anywhere. Also bear in mind it will be VERY cold in Aberdeen compared to Warwick, so if the weather matters...! Anyway, that's pretty much the sum of my views on the subject, for what it's worth, and it really depends on what you're looking for since they are such VASTLY different places! (city centre/ancient/far north compared to out of town/modern/well connected)
Reply 4197
Rejection from Warwick
So I'm left with offers from Lancaster and Exeter and I don't know which one to firm???
Reply 4198
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I see that you finally made the decision of picking your firm. Did the campus aspect of Warwick swing it for you?

Yes. I didn't really like UCL when we went to have a look around. It seems kinda cold and disjointed, and there was sooo much emphasis on drinking, which you expect at uni but it seemed to be a bigger aspect than the Law degree...
Plus, I am a worrier and like the idea and security of a campus :smile:

I can always move to London when I graduate :rolleyes:

EDIT: Whoever negged me, I think UCL is a fantastic university, it's just not for me!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Emilykk1
Got two offers back so far, from Sussex (AAB or A*BB) and LSE(A*AA).
I've got an interview for Cambridge next week and I'm really stressed! Anyone know of any likely questions???

Hi, what are your GCSE grades ?

Latest

Trending

Trending