The Student Room Group

Resigning from my job at Sainsbury's

Hi guys, I started my first job in December at Sainsbury's but I am not enjoying it.
Any advice about leaving and the best way to do from your experience?
Should I go to my department manager and tell her that I want to leave?
Should I write a letter of resignation?
Do I need to gather any documentation before I go?
Reply 1
Go to your line manager and discuss your problems before resigning from the job! If you are still unhappy, write a letter stating what notice you need to serve and then leave. That all the documentation you need to have! I would really reconsider leaving! Try and find a job first before you leave! Its better to be in a job looking for other work! Good Luck! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Just dump a resignation letter and your uniform the managers desk and leg it, without looking back. Worked for me.
Reply 3
Write a letter to your manager. You need to give four weeks notice, so say in your letter that your last shift will be on a date four weeks from now.

I would question whether quitting Sainsburys without getting another job first is a good idea though. It's not the most fun place to work but it's money.
Reply 4
I quit a job at Morrisons after two years and this is how I did it:

1) Wrote a formal resignation letter thanking them etc. with a two week notice

2) Handed it in to the personnel manager, informed line manager and supervisor

3) Left after two weeks

4) Discovered my discount card stopped working

But... have you considered sticking with the job? Asking for a different shift? Adjusting shift rotas or working in a different department? Talk to your line and personnel manager and try to resolve any issues before quitting.
(edited 13 years ago)
Or, you can save time and paperwork by just commiting gross misconduct. Make sure it's nothing criminal or an activity that harms another person though :unsure:
Reply 6
I don't really need to money so I don't need to look for another job right away. Also, I think it would be way to awkward if I just changed departments. I think it'll be a bit awkward anyway because it's my local supermarket and I shop there about twice a week and know a lot of people ;/ lol

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll hand in my letter tomorrow =)

EDIT:
Original post by FXX
Write a letter to your manager. You need to give four weeks notice, so say in your letter that your last shift will be on a date four weeks from now.

Original post by sean2011
Go to your line manager and discuss your problems before resigning from the job! If you are still unhappy, write a letter stating what notice you need to serve and then leave.

Original post by Fusilero
I quit a job at Morrisons after two years and this is how I did it:

1) Wrote a formal resignation letter thanking them etc. with a two week notice

2) Handed it in to the personnel manager, informed line manager and supervisor

I will do research on resignation letters, but is there anything you guys would recommend when writing it? The managers and all my colleagues were all great to work with and were good to me, so I think it's right that I am good to them.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending