The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluesky42
Thank you! I thought it would be a bit strange to only have three halls with internet in rooms. Okay well this expands my options a lot so I can find other places with bike storage - I think I'll want it just for general getting to and from places, not just going to Imperial.

I'm so glad I won't be the only one who doesn't get this stuff!

Also, about the name thing, I swear you said somewhere your name isn't actually nikita... Yeah I have kita and keets mainly...I feel a bit strange divulging it on the internet, but it basically has an extra syllable before the kita lol :tongue:

Trust me, I suck when it comes to life skills, I mean I can't even sew :cry: Or cook. And my cleaning makes things messier :frown: I can literally just do the washing up, hoover and that's about it. And a few bits and pieces, I am a crap excuse for a woman. I can make a nice sandwich though :yep:
Haha my name is Nikita although I tend to prefer Niki (with one k) I just don't like how everyone assumes that's my name on TSR.
Hmm quick guess, your name is Mikita? I really want to know your name now, we can be name buddies :five:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Cyco
Yes, assuming the rules haven't changed, you can't use an extension (hint: the name's in the picture name :P). I guess if you can make a good enough case for needing that many sockets, then talk to your Hall Wardening team.

You can tell Imperial is a manfest if you can't have an extension thing for your blow-dryer, straightener, phone charger, laptop blah blah. My life is based on those extension things! I mean polar bears have probably died because of my exorbitant energy usage :cry:

As Imperial is the Internet Service Provider (ISP) you don't need a router to get onto the internet. You just need to go buy a cheap 'internet' cable, and plug one end into the internet socket (normally the socket that doesn't have a phone attached), and the other end into your computer. You'll be asked to log in with your Imperial ID, and then within the next 15 minutes you should be able to use that computer anywhere on campus.

If you're in Halls lucky enough to have a wireless connection, then it's roughly the same method - although I think they've streamlined it. There are instructions all over Halls as to how to connect anyway.

So you HAVE to stay stuck to a Internet hole (sorry I don't know what that hole thing is called :s-smilie:) whilst you use your laptop anywhere in campus? So it isn't like a dongle is it? You have to find an Internet hole wherever you go on campus? Again, wireless, I want :frown:

If your computer breaks, then the ICT help desk actually seems to know what they're doing most of the time, so you can always pester them, or befriend some DoC students, or become nerdier and do-it-yourself.

Hall kitchens all have sinks, and I'm pretty sure you're not given dish-washers, sorry :P. Each Hall has got a laundry room, with coin operated washing machines, and tumble driers.

I'm pretty sure most, if not all rooms have a wash basin.

Illiteracy? By the end of a 4 year course where you use two letter abbreviations for everything, and whenever you type something out relating to your subject, it sounds like the title of a recently published paper - you lose the ability to read and write properly anyway.

Next!

Yeah I might put my cutest puppyeyes on and ask some manly CS students to fix my broken stuff :cool: Seeing that I can never DIY even if I did ever get nerdier. Also, sorry if this is a stupid question but how important is it to know how to sew? I can't :cry:
Original post by nikita_atikin
Trust me, I suck when it comes to life skills, I mean I can't even sew :cry: Or cook. And my cleaning makes things messier :frown: I can literally just do the washing up, hoover and that's about it. And a few bits and pieces, I am a crap excuse for a woman. I can make a nice sandwich though :yep:
Haha my name is Nikita although I tend to prefer Niki (with one k) I just don't like how everyone assumes that's my name on TSR.
Hmm quick guess, your name is Mikita? I really want to know your name now, we can be name buddies :five:

Teehee. Haha well my names Ankita lol so yeah when we're around campus and someone shouts KITA and we both turn around, I'll know who you are so I can say hi!!!!

As far as I'm concerned, cooking involves heating up food so its no longer raw...so I can manage that. That's about it with housework though. Although I don't think non-ironed clothes will create any problems lol
Teehee. Haha well my names Ankita lol so yeah when we're around campus and someone shouts KITA and we both turn around, I'll know who you are so I can say hi!!!!

As far as I'm concerned, cooking involves heating up food so its no longer raw...so I can manage that. That's about it with housework though. Although I don't think non-ironed clothes will create any problems lol

Ah I wouldn't have guessed Ankita! I actually know another girl called Ankita :h:
But yeah housework I'm gonna struggle with. Apparently someone does the cleaning once in a fortnight I think. :woo:
Reply 244

Sorry, I was stalking the thread and this made me LOL :biggrin:
Original post by notepad
Sorry, I was stalking the thread and this made me LOL :biggrin:

Aha lol thanks :s-smilie: I see your offers are coming along nicely! I take it Imperial is the top choice? :smile:
If your going to study in London, remember to apply for an Oyster Card. You get half priced fares. :biggrin:
Reply 247
You can use an extension lead.. you're not meant to but everyone does and nobody gets told to stop using them. If you have any other questions, I'm in my first year and in halls at the moment so I should be able to give you a good idea of what the reality is. There are some rules which are just not enforced.. like friends not being able to stay over without permission etc etc.
Yeah I might put my cutest puppyeyes on and ask some manly CS students to fix my broken stuff :cool: Seeing that I can never DIY even if I did ever get nerdier. Also, sorry if this is a stupid question but how important is it to know how to sew? I can't :cry:

Oh no :mad: I need a team of "manly" Computing students to fix MY broken stuff. I'm not sure there's room enough for both of us in this university.

On another note, you mentioned a while back that you were worried about going to the gym and being intimidated by big, muscly 4th-years? I have this same worry- I only started going to the gym recently and I hate it when the 6ft bodybuilders show up and make me feel like I'm a little child. :colondollar: If you want someone to go the gym with you so you're not the only gym newb there, I wouldn't mind doing that. If you want to go together a few times to the ICL gym, just let me know when we start at Imperial, I'll still be on TSR then :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 249
Aha lol thanks :s-smilie: I see your offers are coming along nicely! I take it Imperial is the top choice? :smile:

Yes, in an ideal world! I think I stand a chance :biggrin: *pray*
Original post by innerhollow
Oh no :mad: I need a team of "manly" Computing students to fix MY broken stuff. I'm not sure there's room enough for both of us in this university.

On another note, you mentioned a while back that you were worried about going to the gym and being intimidated by big, muscly 4th-years? I have this same worry- I only started going to the gym recently and I hate it when the 6ft bodybuilders show up and make me feel like I'm a little child. :colondollar: If you want someone to go the gym with you so you're not the only gym newb there, I wouldn't mind doing that.

Well my puppy eyes are better than yours and because I'm a girl, I think I have an unfair advantage over you :teehee:

Erm actually when I say I want to gym myself up, I mean that I will be the unfit girl on the treadmill. Id rather be non muscly kid than unfit slob girl. But yeah a gym buddy would be great! :wink:
Well my puppy eyes are better than yours and because I'm a girl, I think I have an unfair advantage over you :teehee:

And you're a Computing student yourself so you'll have the pick of the best... I'm screwed aren't I? I think we can come to some sort of deal, I can provide cooking services on occassions in exchange for you providing a tech support team (I can't cook well at the moment btw, I'm going to learn some cooking over summer).

Erm actually when I say I want to gym myself up, I mean that I will be the unfit girl on the treadmill. Id rather be non muscly kid than unfit slob girl. But yeah a gym buddy would be great! :wink:

Don't worry you'll be fine. If you want to, just bring a sweater and then put it ontop of the treadmill screen, so you won't be self-conscious of people looking at your screen and seeing how long you've been running for. University is a good opportunity to get fit though, the IC gym is dead cheap and exercise helps you concentrate.

I'm extremely weak though... Yesterday at the gym while doing a bench press, even though the weight was really quite light compared to what everyone else does, it was too heavy for me and I couldn't get the barbell back onto the stand, and was about to drop the thing onto myself. This rather stocky guy just walks past me, lifts the thing with two fingers in a clean motion and puts it back on the stand, and doesn't even break his step. :s-smilie: Nice guy thankfully, but I felt so pathetic!!

(Btw lol at having to post a picture of an extension socket to identify it :teehee: )
(edited 13 years ago)
Ah I wouldn't have guessed Ankita! I actually know another girl called Ankita :h:

:eek3:

Really? I've never met anyone with my name...and I kind of liked being unique... :emo:

(Btw lol at having to post a picture of an extension socket to identify it :teehee: )

I didn't know what it was called!!! :cry:

Anyway, yeah you can cook for me and I'll provide you my tech team :yep: Sounds good. I suggest you learn how to sew, I need that service as well.

Ah I'm not too worried about the gym tbh, I'll probably end up talking more than working out :rolleyes: Or eating the energy bars and drinking the energy drinks :teehee:
I'll watch you work out, that will be my exercise. :rofl:

:eek3:

Really? I've never met anyone with my name...and I kind of liked being unique... :emo:

In fact I know two people with the name Ankita :smile: Both are Indian so I understand it's a fairly popular Indian name :biggrin:
In fact I know two people with the name Ankita :smile: Both are Indian so I understand it's a fairly popular Indian name :biggrin:

My world is beginning to crumble... :sad:
Reply 255
So you HAVE to stay stuck to a Internet hole (sorry I don't know what that hole thing is called :s-smilie:) whilst you use your laptop anywhere in campus? So it isn't like a dongle is it? You have to find an Internet hole wherever you go on campus? Again, wireless, I want :frown:

Nah, you only have to have a wire connected whilst you are in halls, and want to use the internet. The whole of campus has wireless coverage, so you don't need to carry cables everywhere.

You don't need to know anything along the lines of cooking/sewing/taking apart a computer :tongue:. You learn lots of stuff whilst you're in Halls, so don't worry about what you do or don't know before you get here.
I didn't know what it was called!!! :cry:

:rofl: It's alright, just take photos of various household applicances, then if you need to borrow stuff you don't know the name of , youcan just show people the photos.

(By the way, how did you find a picture of an extension socket if you don't know what it's called? O_o)

Anyway, yeah you can cook for me and I'll provide you my tech team :yep: Sounds good. I suggest you learn how to sew, I need that service as well.

What am I, your wife?

If you mean sewing to fix tears in clothes, it's not that difficult...

Ah I'm not too worried about the gym tbh, I'll probably end up talking more than working out :rolleyes: Or eating the energy bars and drinking the energy drinks :teehee:
I'll watch you work out, that will be my exercise. :rofl:

I'm afraid the sight of me working out is not that impressive. There will be plenty of muscled guys for you to look at... I sometimes watch them work out when I'm at the gym :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
:rofl: It's alright, just take photos of various household applicances, then if you need to borrow stuff you don't know the name of can just show people the photos.

(By the way, how did you find a picture of an extension socket if you don't know what it's called? O_o)

Yeah aha, I can be the weird kid who can't speak English and relies on photos to make other people understand stuff. Doesn't help that I'm not white. :ninja:
Oh about the extension socket, I put 'multiple plug thing' into google or something like that, found out it was called an extension socket and then found a picture of it. :lolwut:

What am I, your wife?

If you mean sewing to fix tears in clothes, it's not that difficult...

Well you can be my wife if you want to :perv: You're only 17 or something aren't you? You'd make a good wife. I'm sure I'd be the man in the relationship. But yeah, I did mean sewing to fix tears in clothes (I'm clumsy) and it is VERY difficult! At age 7, my sister sewed clothes for her Barbies and I was still trying to figure out how to make them move their limbs :frown: I can't sew. So learn to cook and sew plztnx. :biggrin:

I'm afraid the sight of me working out is not that impressive. There will be plenty of muscled guys for you to look at... I sometimes watch them work out when I'm at the gym :colondollar:

I'll watch anything as long as it's entertaining :colone:
:lol: Nah, you're not the only one. The sight of anyone working out isn't nice. Sweaty people dripping of sweat and ting. Nein danke!
Thought I'd try and practise some cooking today in preparation for October.

The good news: I've nailed cupcakes.

The bad news: I fail at everything else.

Looks like I'm going to be on a diet of cupcakes and toast.
Reply 259
Original post by LuckyBlueNinja
Thought I'd try and practise some cooking today in preparation for October.

The good news: I've nailed cupcakes.

The bad news: I fail at everything else.

Looks like I'm going to be on a diet of cupcakes and toast.

Ah well, if you end up living anywhere near me I'll teach ya.

You're bound to end up making friends in halls with people who know how to cook and I'm sure you'll pick it up :smile:.

Got to admit it amazes me how many people make it to their teens not knowing how to cook! Maybe it's because you're all nerds and spend all your time studying instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending