The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Personal views on the University of Hertfordshire..?

You don’t have to necessarily go to hertz to answer this question but what does everyone generally think about the uni if hertz??? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My own experience:
- disorganised
- badly ranked (I'm a TSR snob :colondollar:)
- not a great location
- decent for art/design subjects
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
I've applied there its now my firm, on the de hav campus and the location is great!
Really nice and accomedation is some of the nicest i've seen :smile: Also quite high on the primary ed list :smile:
I didn't know it existed.
I study at Herts, doing 3D Animation.

Pros:

- Close to London
- Safe campus
- Enormous LRC
- Decent Accommodation
- Good sports facilities

Cons:

- Is in Hatfield, where theres frankly not a great amount to do
- Excels in some areas of study, but not all. For instance, the 3D Animation course here is one of the top two in the country. Whether the same could be said for English Lit here, I don't know.
Pros: Most of them have been said already.

Again, the con for me would be the location. Hatfield is just a small town.
I like Herts and I don't really have anything bad to say about the university to be honest.
Everyones experience will be different.

The university isn't exactly high in the rankings and those who do go to top 10/20, do have more doors open for them, at the same time, I personally don't think it's about what uni you go to, I think it's about what you do with your degree and how you go about your future, in terms of your career.

If you apply there/have applied there... Good luck:smile:
Reply 6
Been there for a year so here are my pros/cons:

Pros:
Massive LRC/good facilities
Students are friendly
Good bus route/links to london and herts
A pretty decent(ish) ex-poly

Cons:
Teaching can be quite poor at stages
Hatfield is gash, really **** all to do/places to go
Average reputation - your much better trying to get into a 94 group uni.
Traveling by bus is too long sometimes
You get a lot of wasters there.
Reply 7
Original post by mantis117
Been there for a year so here are my pros/cons:

Pros:
Massive LRC/good facilities
Students are friendly
Good bus route/links to london and herts
A pretty decent(ish) ex-poly

Cons:
Teaching can be quite poor at stages
Hatfield is gash, really **** all to do/places to go
Average reputation - your much better trying to get into a 94 group uni.
Traveling by bus is too long sometimes
You get a lot of wasters there.

what are you studying???....and is the teaching effecting your grades...??
Reply 8
what are you studying???....and is the teaching effecting your grades...??

I studied Computer Science for a year - got mainly 2:1's and 1st's for most assignments/exams, i left to go somewhere closer to home(Which i completely regret now).
The teaching was good in places and pretty crap in others - but that was just my experience.
Reply 9
I have a friend studying to be a paramedic there and another doing astrophysics (i think). They both love it
i went to the open day. the uni looks amazing, dehav especially. Facilities are amazing from what i saw.

huge lrc, sports village etc. accommodation is very modern and high quality. it's got a shopping center near by.now that's all good but if you fancy a good night out (clubbing) the forum is decent but i would think after a week or two going to the same place it'll get boring.

so the night life i expect will probably be ****. when you compare it to a uni like NTU

but university is what you make it
Original post by francistheswole
i went to the open day. the uni looks amazing, dehav especially. Facilities are amazing from what i saw.

huge lrc, sports village etc. accommodation is very modern and high quality. it's got a shopping center near by.now that's all good but if you fancy a good night out (clubbing) the forum is decent but i would think after a week or two going to the same place it'll get boring.

so the night life i expect will probably be ****. when you compare it to a uni like NTU

but university is what you make it

If your course is on College Lane, I'd definitely suggest getting accommodation there. I have mates that live on dehav and they say it starts to be a pain in the ass having to get to college lane every morning.

If you like partying and social stuff I'd say go Telford Court, its probably the best accommodation at the uni for that stuff.
Reply 12
Your all saying how Herts is poorly ranked, erm well according to the complete university guide 2011 its better than City university. Herts has come a long way and will do even better in the near future, in fact once its 2012 your going to see a lot of poorly ranked universities rise.
Reply 13
Original post by Yas01
Your all saying how Herts is poorly ranked, erm well according to the complete university guide 2011 its better than City university. Herts has come a long way and will do even better in the near future, in fact once its 2012 your going to see a lot of poorly ranked universities rise.

you are abosilutely right. compared to old establishments Herts uni is just a baby, we have only been around for a few decades. It takes time for a uni to climb on the ranks and I personally think herts is actually doing really good. :smile:
i dont think its very good.infact i think its a bit of a chav university ahahaha! and most people that go there are from london or the surburbs so its not like youll meet loads of people from up and down the country there. but its the only university that has given me a realistic offer so i cant complain. i mean the campus is incredible, its like a fricken town. but the area itself isnt good. i mean where are you gonna go if you need a job? the area itself isnt big so its not like theres going to be loads of jobs there.
Reply 15
Original post by Pop_tart
you are abosilutely right. compared to old establishments Herts uni is just a baby, we have only been around for a few decades. It takes time for a uni to climb on the ranks and I personally think herts is actually doing really good. :smile:

Herts is my local University, and maybe my firm choice. I'm very proud of herts
Original post by iloveusernames
i dont think its very good.infact i think its a bit of a chav university ahahaha! and most people that go there are from london or the surburbs so its not like youll meet loads of people from up and down the country there. but its the only university that has given me a realistic offer so i cant complain. i mean the campus is incredible, its like a fricken town. but the area itself isnt good. i mean where are you gonna go if you need a job? the area itself isnt big so its not like theres going to be loads of jobs there.

i agree with what you said about the campus. i felt like i was in a different country lol..

campus is truley amazing which is a big factor for me when choosing universities
Reply 17
Original post by iloveusernames

''and most people that go there are from london or the surburbs so its not like youll meet loads of people from up and down the country there.'' - I really must dissagree with you here because that's really not true. The majority of the people at Herts come from Hertfordshire itself and the surrounding counties like Essex, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Buckinghamshire and the greater london area.

You will also find a lot of international students from all over the world - of course this depence what you are studying as well. I know more than enough people at herts from all over the country, from Southampton to Newcastle.

For jobs you can also look at other parts of Herts like Stevenage and St. Albans, both are withint a 20 min range by bus and are much larger than Hatfield.
Reply 18
Original post by Pop_tart
''and most people that go there are from london or the surburbs so its not like youll meet loads of people from up and down the country there.'' - I really must dissagree with you here because that's really not true. The majority of the people at Herts come from Hertfordshire itself and the surrounding counties like Essex, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Buckinghamshire and the greater london area.

You will also find a lot of international students from all over the world - of course this depence what you are studying as well. I know more than enough people at herts from all over the country, from Southampton to Newcastle.

For jobs you can also look at other parts of Herts like Stevenage and St. Albans, both are withint a 20 min range by bus and are much larger than Hatfield.

and Watford, Harrow and then theres always london
Reply 19
I live in Hertfordshire - it's an old people area -.-'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending