The Student Room Group

Can I study at my sixth form and another college as well?

Hey [: I don't really think this is the right section but I can't seem to find a better one so yeah.

I'm in Y11 at the moment, and I recently decided that I wanted to take Further Maths A level instead of Sociology, as I had put down on my options before. Unfortunately, my school sixth form might now not be running FM as there aren't enough people doing it - well actually, there are but there weren't before, 'cause more people have switched to it since, but the head of sixth form still seems to think there aren't enough plus they're having trouble with funding; long story basically.

Anyway, I really want to do FM but in case it doesn't run at my sixth form, I was wondering if it would be possible to study three AS levels at that sixth form, and then take the FM course elsewhere at a different college? Do most colleges allow you to do this or not?

There are a few decent ones nearby and I've got good grades - A* in both Maths & English Language GCSE so far and am expected to get similar in other subjects - but the problems are that:

a) I'm not even sure you can do that.
b) I have 81.7% attendance :/ (I'm late a lot ^_^)
c) I don't know whether it's too late to apply yet? According to some people it is, others it isn't, so I don't really know, is it generally too late to apply to most colleges now?

I know the worst one is the attendance, but quite a few people have told me that it doesn't matter if you still get perfect grades. I don't know really. So yeah, please help xD Thanks in advance.
Original post by Dobby

Original post by Dobby

c) I don't know whether it's too late to apply yet? According to some people it is, others it isn't, so I don't really know, is it generally too late to apply to most colleges now?.

It would depend on the college. The one I went to closes applications in November or even earlier because it is so popular but at other places you can apply until the summer. You'd need to speak to each one. Have you considered just going to a new college to do your A levels in full? This would be easier than commuting between different sites and you might find the maths support stronger there too if they were offering FM. Alternatively, you can look at doing it as an evening class or by distance learning. A lot of people self teach AS FM and just register to take the exams at their school.

A lot of schools have an agreement with other sixth forms nearby so they can offer additional subjects, have you checked that your school doesn't offer this?

Quick Reply

Latest