The Student Room Group

What skills do I need to use to get an A?

I have one last exam for History in June, I'm a little worried about it though. I really want to get an overall A in History but my c/w isn't going too well for some reason (probably going to end up with low-mid B) so I guess I'll be falling back on the exam.

I got 86/100 and 88/100 UMS in the AS units... but I don't know how high I'll have to get :/

In all my practice questions (in school) I've been doing crap, getting like really low marks on the questions. I don't know what's going wrong... think it might be my exam technique so has anyone got any tips on what to do?

I'm doing the Cold War topic on Edexcel if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by mellie220
Hi mellie. What exam board are you on? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Stricof
Hi mellie. What exam board are you on? :smile:

Edexcel :smile:
Original post by mellie220
Edexcel :smile:
Okay awesome.

Obviously when it comes down to it, getting the A grade is up to you and how much effort you put in etc. But as for the skills, I can help you a little for this.
Your question A will be similar structured to the Unit 1 - in the sense that you have no sources and work from own knowledge.
You will need strong knowledge, but technique is important.

Question B will be of similar structure to your unit 2 paper. Obviously it will be more advanced.

Regardless, the sources guide the answer. This means that you refer to the historical interpretations such as Germany was responsible for pursuing a war of conquest and aggression according to Fischer. And then you add your own knowledge and cross reference with other sources.

Point, Evidence, Explain Qualify/contrast
Qualifying is in particular very important because you show the limitations of the argument. You are looking to show both sides of the argument and come to a weighted conclusion in the end.

And for the coursework - I am aware you will need the skills of the other three units.
Question A is source based answering.
Question B is evaluative/historiography

I have also written this up if it helps. :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by Stricof
Okay awesome.

Obviously when it comes down to it, getting the A grade is up to you and how much effort you put in etc. But as for the skills, I can help you a little for this.
Your question A will be similar structured to the Unit 1 - in the sense that you have no sources and work from own knowledge.
You will need strong knowledge, but technique is important.

Question B will be of similar structure to your unit 2 paper. Obviously it will be more advanced.

Regardless, the sources guide the answer. This means that you refer to the historical interpretations such as Germany was responsible for pursuing a war of conquest and aggression according to Fischer. And then you add your own knowledge and cross reference with other sources.

Point, Evidence, Explain Qualify/contrast
Qualifying is in particular very important because you show the limitations of the argument. You are looking to show both sides of the argument and come to a weighted conclusion in the end.

And for the coursework - I am aware you will need the skills of the other three units.
Question A is source based answering.
Question B is evaluative/historiography

I have also written this up if it helps. :colondollar:

Thank you so much!
I've seen some other History help you've posted - it's all so great, really nice you give your time to help others :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending