The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Original post by SabreT
Is she a first year or second year? From what im hearing, medicine at Cambridge just seems like an absolute mission.

Im looking forward to it, but at the same time im bricking it :s-smilie:

I seriously think the way to deal with worrying about it is to pretend that everyone who mentions the workload is lying.
It means no worrying about after you get there and you can just worry about exams instead. That being said a girl from my school who went a few years ago was told by her supervisor that she would have time for physics hockey or time for a boyfriend but she wouldn't have both.

EDIT: I put physics instead of hockey. She was studying medicine
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1401
Original post by VaVe
I seriously think the way to deal with worrying about it is to pretend that everyone who mentions the workload is lying.
It means no worrying about after you get there and you can just worry about exams instead. That being said a girl from my school who went a few years ago was told by her supervisor that she would have time for physics or time for a boyfriend but she wouldn't have both.

I don't have exams to worry about since I've already got my A Levels. Hence me worrying about it now :tongue:
Just so that everyone knows, there's a Facebook group for MML offer holders here. If you're an MML offer holder, regardless of College, please do get joining!

I'll also post this in the MML thread.
Reply 1403
Original post by SabreT
I don't have exams to worry about since I've already got my A Levels. Hence me worrying about it now :tongue:

In that case I envy you greatly. =)
Feel free to panic about the workload.
Original post by CathySarah
I hope my college hasn't sent it out yet! I haven't officially confirmed yet, and it would make me really nervous to know that everyone else could pick accomodation before me and I'm left with whatever nobody wants!

I got an email from my college telling me I can't apply until August :frown: (St catz)
Original post by VaVe
It means no worrying about after you get there and you can just worry about exams instead. That being said a girl from my school who went a few years ago was told by her supervisor that she would have time for physics or time for a boyfriend but she wouldn't have both.

Did she manage it then? :')
Reply 1406
Original post by FlobberDobber
Did she manage it then? :')

She deicded she wanted to do hockey and effectively dumped he boyfriend
Reply 1407
Is anyone else really paranoid that they won't be good enough for cambridge? Does anyone actually get accepted and then fail when they get there? Or am I just going to have to start the precedent...
Original post by Jacke02
Is anyone else really paranoid that they won't be good enough for cambridge? Does anyone actually get accepted and then fail when they get there? Or am I just going to have to start the precedent...

I'm fairly certain I will be chucked out after a couple of months.
Reply 1409
Original post by Jacke02

Well there is no point in worrying now.
What will be will be. I doubt you can predict, how good you will be, as the performance will be highly influenced by the environment you will be in. If you do not get by with the people on your staircase, or your supervisor, or if you have personal difficulties, then you might fail.
But you are as likely to excel because the environment pushes you to exploit your full potential.

So do not worry and enjoy life as long as you have time to. :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jacke02

Yup, don't think I can face being the thickest in the year :frown:
Reply 1411
It is extremely rare that people fail, so stop worrying :smile: There is only one person I know who genuinely did fail and had to leave, but there was a myriad of reasons as to why that happened and she essentially had completely given up on her work by Christmas so it wasn't a big surprise. You will all most likely be fine, and even if you discover that your course doesn't suit you there are so many other options open to you - Cambridge have picked you and they absolutely don't want you to leave. Plus it really is extremely hard to actually fail...
Original post by Zoedotdot
It is extremely rare that people fail, so stop worrying :smile: There is only one person I know who genuinely did fail and had to leave, but there was a myriad of reasons as to why that happened and she essentially had completely given up on her work by Christmas so it wasn't a big surprise. You will all most likely be fine, and even if you discover that your course doesn't suit you there are so many other options open to you - Cambridge have picked you and they absolutely don't want you to leave. Plus it really is extremely hard to actually fail...

I have heard quite a few stories about failing vet med... Do you think they're true? Ta for the help :biggrin:
Reply 1413
Original post by Smelly Ellie
I have heard quite a few stories about failing vet med... Do you think they're true? Ta for the help :biggrin:

It's likely that there are people who have failed, but I personally don't know any vet meds who have. I think there is more talk of failure among medics (I don't know if this is true for vet med as well) because there are those exams that are externally controlled and therefore a certain percentage of people have to fail them every time. Usually failing those doesn't matter as long as you do well in Cambridge's own exams.

And when I say it's very difficult to actually truly fail I really do mean it. The girl I mentioned who left was completely not cut out for her course or for Cambridge at all, but she also did NO work whatsoever. She used to sleep through all of her lectures and half of her supervisions and when she managed to get any supervision work in at all she was thrilled to bits with herself. So there may be true stories about failing vet med, but generally the failing and actually being asked to leave by the college will be something that the student has allowed to happen to themselves because they've given up. There really is a very good support network at Cambridge, you will usually have numerous ports of call if you are struggling and your work is monitored much more closely than at other universities (termly reports and meetings) so if something is going wrong then it will most likely be fixed. And they tend to be quite understanding of extenuating circumstances too - I know someone else who left after first year because she didn't show up to any of her exams, and even then they were willing to help her work through her problems and have her back the next year, it was her own decision not to stay. I really wouldn't worry about not being good enough and certainly not about failing at this point. Chances are that if you were selected you are good enough and the possibility of you failing is very small. And even if you feel like you don't deserve it - they've taken you now, so you might as well work as hard as you can and live up to the challenge! Don't be scared, Cambridge is amazingly hard but it's also amazingly fun :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
It's likely that there are people who have failed, but I personally don't know any vet meds who have. I think there is more talk of failure among medics (I don't know if this is true for vet med as well) because there are those exams that are externally controlled and therefore a certain percentage of people have to fail them every time. Usually failing those doesn't matter as long as you do well in Cambridge's own exams.

And when I say it's very difficult to actually truly fail I really do mean it. The girl I mentioned who left was completely not cut out for her course or for Cambridge at all, but she also did NO work whatsoever. She used to sleep through all of her lectures and half of her supervisions and when she managed to get any supervision work in at all she was thrilled to bits with herself. So there may be true stories about failing vet med, but generally the failing will be something that the student has allowed to happen to themselves because they've given up. There really is a very good support network at Cambridge, you will usually have numerous ports of call if you are struggling and your work is monitored much more closely than at other universities (termly reports and meetings) so if something is going wrong then it will most likely be fixed. And they tend to be quite understanding of extenuating circumstances too - I know someone else who left after first year because she didn't show up to any of her exams, and even then they were willing to help her work through her problems and have her back the next year. I really wouldn't worry about not being good enough and certainly not about failing at this point. Chances are that if you were selected you are good enough and the possibility of you failing is very small. And even if you feel like you don't deserve it - they've taken you now, so you might as well work as hard as you can and live up to the challenge! Don't be scared, Cambridge is amazingly hard but it's also amazingly fun :biggrin:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that, feel much better now. I think I am clever enough to be there (sounds big headed but I'm not worried because I don't geel up for the challenge if you get my drift), and definitely love my subject enough so I am going for it, people keep trying to put me off you see :s-smilie: Thanks so much, I met the director of studies and thought to myself there is no way he would let us fail. Knowing they do support us a lot is a good feeling! Excited now!!!! Thanks :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 1415
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Thank you so much, I really appreciate that, feel much better now. I think I am clever enough to be there (sounds big headed but I'm not worried because I don't geel up for the challenge if you get my drift), and definitely love my subject enough so I am going for it, people keep trying to put me off you see :s-smilie: Thanks so much, I met the director of studies and thought to myself there is no way he would let us fail. Knowing they do support us a lot is a good feeling! Excited now!!!! Thanks :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I know what you mean, I think all of us have days where we feel totally out of our depth but at the same time the majority of people know that they really do deserve their place :smile: Don't let people put you off! And yes, student support is much better than at other universities so that's a good thing in case you ever feel like you're in trouble. To give you an example - right before my exams last year I burst into tears in a translation class that was taken by my Russian DoS, who took me aside after the class and had a chat with me to calm me down and talk through everything that was bothering me, despite the fact that she's an incredibly busy person and probably didn't have the time to set aside for me. Later that day I had to email a Spanish supervisor saying that I didn't have time to write her an essay because I needed to stop panicking (on the orders of the Russian DoS) and have a little bit of time to myself, and then went into a rant about how hard I found her paper and how stressed out I was about it. She emailed my main DoS who emailed my Spanish DoS who emailed me and asked me to come and see him for an hour long meeting about what I was struggling with and why, and he essentially told me to stuff revising and just enjoy the course and stop panicking about every little thing. I couldn't believe how watchful they were, all of this happened within a couple of hours and suddenly I had three people all offering their support - I was at breaking point and had I been left to my own devices I could very well have gone over the edge because I was so stressed out. But the intervention meant that I didn't, I relaxed, I had an amazing exam term and I got firsts in both of the papers mentioned above :biggrin:
:biggrin:

WOOOO that's great :smile:
Original post by VaVe
That being said a girl from my school who went a few years ago was told by her supervisor that she would have time for physics or time for a boyfriend but she wouldn't have both.

This is a bit old, but I do physics (well, first year PhysNatSci, planning on doing physics next year :biggrin:) and I have a boyfriend, play in a sports team (albeit miss some practices but that's just NatSci timetabling!) and have plenty of time for social stuff! :biggrin:

I think that you're one of my favourite CamChatters 'cos you're so helpful!

Now for my query: Everybody always goes on about how easy it is to fall behind when you're ill in Cambridge. What if you get ill really easily?

I'm one of those people that gets ill if I get too stressed/pressurised- maybe applying to Cambridge wasn't the best idea :p:- and I'd hate for me to get ill and then fall behind just because of the heavy workload.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I think that you're one of my favourite CamChatters 'cos you're so helpful!

Now for my query: Everybody always goes on about how easy it is to fall behind when you're ill in Cambridge. What if you get ill really easily?

I'm one of those people that gets ill if I get too stressed/pressurised- maybe applying to Cambridge wasn't the best idea :p:- and I'd hate for me to get ill and then fall behind just because of the heavy workload.

Same!! When I'm stressed my tonsils swell up so I can hardly breathe! I will be so ill by the end of 8 weeks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending