The Student Room Group

any point in living if you fail to get a grad job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Grad jobs aren't all thei cracked up to be anyway - you're regarded as an expendable piece of crap every time a recession bites.
it's not like a white collar job is a guarantee you'll never be made redundant.

If having a high status job is all that keeps you from jumping over a cliff what are you going to do when someone takes that job away from you?
Reply 21
Original post by Joinedup

If having a high status job is all that keeps you from jumping over a cliff what are you going to do when someone takes that job away from you?

I presume jump over a cliff. Come on, man, keep up!
I'm hungry now, thanks OP :/
Reply 23
HA! The kids not even at uni yet! Cute!
Reply 24
Original post by gilesthewhale
do you think that it worthwhile continuing to live if you fail to get a graduate level job? personally I think that it's not because your life would have so litttle meaning and value to society. non graduate job = no social status.
thoughts? would you commit suicide if you failed to get a graduate level job?

So being PM or the oft rolled out Lord Sugar have no scoial status?

Bill Gates?

I call Troll, but just in case...
A lot of graduate jobs are soooo boring anyway.

Sit at a desk shuffling papers from one side to the other, or staring at your computer screen all day, working on spreadsheets, pawing at your keyboard with your eyes glazed over like an ape in a suit.

If that's really what makes people happy, go right ahead. I think I'd kill myself if I did have that kind of job.

So glad I'm going into teaching. Offices make me hurl :p:
ok
Reply 27
A lot of people are lucky to have jobs whether they are "graduate level" jobs are not! There are not many jobs about so if i were you i would be satisfied with what you get!
Original post by Suzanathema
A lot of graduate jobs are soooo boring anyway.

Sit at a desk shuffling papers from one side to the other, or staring at your computer screen all day, working on spreadsheets, pawing at your keyboard with your eyes glazed over like an ape in a suit.

If that's really what makes people happy, go right ahead. I think I'd kill myself if I did have that kind of job.

So glad I'm going into teaching. Offices make me hurl :p:

Isn't teaching a graduate job too? Well, most types of teaching?
Reply 29
tbh i prefer relatively crap pay with decent hours than great pay where you work until stupid o'clock every day as in many graduate schemes.

my time is far more important to me than money
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Isn't teaching a graduate job too? Well, most types of teaching?

Well of course, but most "graduate jobs" are city jobs, therefore boring a hell. At least I get to feel good about myself in teaching for doing something better than making profit for some **** in the penthouse office... :tongue:
Reply 31
Most of these 'graduate jobs' dont exist.....to be fair.

Businesses pay these 'graduate' sites to advertise thier vacancies online. Where am working they were currently looking for an admin assistant and they put an advert on a regional graduate website for a fee of £80. My manager said even though the job didnt need a degree and not even A levels he thought he may aswell take advantage of the situation and find a graduate for the position. There were over 60 applications for the job!

Also I have a friend who successfully managed to get onto a graduate scheme last year working as an account manager after 4 interviews and a longgg assessment day. He works alongside someone he also went to school with who went straight into work after A levels. The irony is, he is also an account manager and on the same (if more) level as him. But the difference is hes been working for the past 3 years and not in 20k uni debt.

So yeah dont be fooled in this labelling of 'graduate jobs'.....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Well of course, but most "graduate jobs" are city jobs, therefore boring a hell. At least I get to feel good about myself in teaching for doing something better than making profit for some **** in the penthouse office... :tongue:

Errrrr no they aren't... (city jobs that is I didn't mean not dull as thats subjective)
Original post by Quady
Errrrr no they aren't... (city jobs that is I didn't mean not dull as thats subjective)

Yeah, I kind of realised that as I was typing it :tongue:

But what I mean is a lot of them are sitting at a computer/management typed things. Grad schemes where you get to manage an Aldi or something like that. Yeah it's 40k, but you spend your whole life looking at spreadsheets to see which stores are selling the most baked beans. Rock and roll...
Reply 34
Yeah, I kind of realised that as I was typing it :tongue:

But what I mean is a lot of them are sitting at a computer/management typed things. Grad schemes where you get to manage an Aldi or something like that. Yeah it's 40k, but you spend your whole life looking at spreadsheets to see which stores are selling the most baked beans. Rock and roll...

The ALDI job you get a car, you go a decent amount of travelling, and have a lot of contact with your store managers and their staff, you even do the interviews for your staff.

teaching has its lesson plans and marking, reports and analysis of results.

Is there that much difference? :s-smilie:
Original post by Quady
The ALDI job you get a car, you go a decent amount of travelling, and have a lot of contact with your store managers and their staff, you even do the interviews for your staff.

teaching has its lesson plans and marking, reports and analysis of results.

Is there that much difference? :s-smilie:

Yeah, the teaching one means something :tongue:
Original post by sbarron
Is that meant to be the average hours for a graduate job? Cos mine (in the nhs) is only 37 hours but with the graduate salary.

I was meaning more private sector. The public sector grad jobs are fantastic for hours, with flexi time etc. The downside is there is going to be very little public sector hiring in the next few years. Also salary wise the public sector grad jobs are harder to progress past about £45k, compared to private.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending