The Student Room Group

I think I may have dyslexia/ADHD because I got into university by fluke

Anon or delete please.

Throughtout my academic life I have been tutored by my parents and other people from a very young age till present days.
I tried to insist my parents that I wanted to study on my own with no tutoring for my AS levels. They said that I'd be making a big mistake but gave me a chance.
I studied for hours, litereally followed everything by the book, but when my AS level results came I got 2 Bs and 3 Cs. Henceforth I was put back to the tutoring doctrine and when my final A2 levels came out I managed to scrape with 2 As and 2 Bs - hence getting into uni.
I'm starting to think that I may have some sort of disorder such as ADHD or Dyslexia but my parents state I'm fine even though I was never checked.

I feel so ashamed of myself that I have never actually picked up a book and studied/revised by myself - always seem to be spoon fed by my parents helping me out or getting me extra tutors for each subject.

I don't know what to do because it shows I'm heavily dependent on tutoring - and that ain't going to help me when I try to look for a job.

I feel like I've been lied to my whole life and never been allowed to explore my other interests :frown:
It's all right - have a few tutoring sessions. Remember, you can get through this with support and encouragement.

Remember, there's no "I" in team.

Oh wait, you're dyslexic...
Reply 2
Original post by DarkSenrine
It's all right - have a few tutoring sessions. Remember, you can get through this with support and encouragement.

Haha, coldhearted. (I didn't neg you but lol'd that someone did)
What do you think everyone in regular schooling is doing?

Being spoon fed. nothing to panic about.
Reply 4
But at beginning of any job you get training. Training spoon-feeds you and then the task get more or less similar so you get used to doing it on your own :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sashari
But at beginning of any job you get training. Training spoon-feeds you and then the task get more or less similar so you get used to doing it on your own :smile:

ok so do you think it be a good idea if i drop out of uni, save my parents money and go find a job?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
ok so do you think it be a good idea if i drop out of uni, save my parents money and go find a job?

That just depends on you really. If you feel like you are not achieving anything then maybe it is worth trying to find a job. If in the future you do feel like missed out on university you could always go back and do it again. However with today's economical climate might be best to fist find a job then drop out :smile:
Reply 7
Do you have any actual reason for believing you might have a learning disability or is it just because you got C's at AS level? Learning disability - whatever the specific difficulty may be - does not mean that you're getting average or poor results, it's a pathological inability or difficulty in performing some kind of cognitive or information processing task. If you've been tutored all your life, been told what to do, how to do it, when to do it, etc. then your poor AS results are most likely due to the fact that you simply don't know how to study. Effective independent studying is something you have to actually learn how to do, whether you figure it out by trial and error or use self-help books or some workshops (like they often do it at university).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8

LOOOOOOOL :rofl: I literally pissed my pants reading this :tongue:
Original post by Gowrav
LOOOOOOOL :rofl: I literally pissed my pants reading this :tongue:

I bet the OP passed his pints reading it too.
Reply 10
Original post by Peregrinum
Do you have any actual reason for believing you might have a learning disability or is it just because you got C's at AS level? Learning disability - whatever the specific difficulty may be - does not mean that you're getting average or poor results, it's a pathological inability or difficulty in performing some kind of cognitive or information processing task. If you've been tutored all your life, been told what to do, how to do it, when to do it, etc. then your poor AS results are most likely due to the fact that you simply don't know how to study. Effective independent studying is something you have to actually learn how to do, whether you figure it out by trial and error or use self-help books or some workshops (like they often do it at university).

Yeah I probably don't know how to study independently. I see no point in asking for help from my uni now as it is now exam period :s-smilie:
Reply 11

But there is a 'me'.
Reply 12
I bet the OP passed his pints reading it too.

nah i found it pretty funny lol. Didn't rep you though.
Reply 13
OP there's no shame in getting extra help outside of lessons and it's not a reason to give up. Plenty of my friends get help outside of lessons. If you think you might have dyslexia or whatever go get checked for it but whatever the result it won't be an excuse to stop working hard.
Reply 14
ADHD is not so much a disorder, as much as a way to describe the youth of today
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
Anon or delete please.

Throughtout my academic life I have been tutored by my parents and other people from a very young age till present days.
I tried to insist my parents that I wanted to study on my own with no tutoring for my AS levels. They said that I'd be making a big mistake but gave me a chance.
I studied for hours, litereally followed everything by the book, but when my AS level results came I got 2 Bs and 3 Cs. Henceforth I was put back to the tutoring doctrine and when my final A2 levels came out I managed to scrape with 2 As and 2 Bs - hence getting into uni.
I'm starting to think that I may have some sort of disorder such as ADHD or Dyslexia but my parents state I'm fine even though I was never checked.

I feel so ashamed of myself that I have never actually picked up a book and studied/revised by myself - always seem to be spoon fed by my parents helping me out or getting me extra tutors for each subject.

I don't know what to do because it shows I'm heavily dependent on tutoring - and that ain't going to help me when I try to look for a job.

I feel like I've been lied to my whole life and never been allowed to explore my other interests :frown:

You should be able to get help at university if you do have a problem say, go to your student services place and ask them.
Reply 16
Get a test done. If you can prove you are dyslexic, your uni may give you benefits (at my uni they give you extra time on exams... and a free laptop and printer..)
There is nothing whatsoever in your post that implies you may be dyslexic, dyscalculic, ADHD 'ic'. So your parents wanted you to get good grades, so what, good for them. Tbh the grades you got without tutoring were pretty good too, I would have been thrilled with those and had no earthly chance of getting the grades you got with tutoring. I had an extra tutor or 2 subjects and still only got a C. There is nothing academically wrong with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending