The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1560
I also wonder why Leeds had a tour for short-listed candidates when people might choose them as a first priority that weren't shortlisted by them and get it anyway hmm ..unless that's only for 'categories that have more job posts..Genetics only had 3 posts so wonder what happens there..guess time will tell..hopefully eek..if only NHS Jobs could be programmed to automatically tell people that weren't shortlisted....
Reply 1561
Can I just confirm that the people with interview offers today are not for Biochem??? Thanks
Reply 1562
I got the magic call today about Medical Physics interviews. People who are yet to hear: THEY ONLY CALLED MY LANDLINE. Was keeping my mobile glued to my side but the message was left on the family phone. Totally wasn't expecting that so be warned!
Original post by mogchsg2
Can I just confirm that the people with interview offers today are not for Biochem??? Thanks

Did you say before that you applied to Leicester biochem? They sent out rejection emails to the non-shortlisted people yesterday. So if you haven't heard from them, it might be good news for you.
Reply 1564
Any news from physiology applicants?? Thanks
This thread is only as useful as you make it. If you read any of the recent posts you will see that it will probably be the 4th before you hear anything for life sciences, maybe before if you're lucky, maybe after if you're not so lucky.
Reply 1566
Hi, yes I applied to Leicester biochem and I didnt receive an email yesterday. Fingers crossed!!!! Thanks
Original post by laura22
Thanks! I sent you a private mail as my message ended up turning into a bit of an essay haha. Hope it helps though! Where did you apply to this year?

Hi Laura, I am so happy. To be honest, I had given up all hope because it is sooo competitive. I really really want to work for the NHS and this would mean the whole world to me. I got a call for Clinical Engineering interview in Birmingham. I am having hope again.:biggrin: One more step to go.
Original post by mateyface
I can vouch for that! Just got a call this morning saying I've got an interview for Med Phys and I'm in the third year on an MSci but noted that I'd be able to switch to the BSc and graduate this year.

For people panicking that they haven't heard about the job yet, wait until 4th April, however early the interview date. I had already decided that I hadn't got an interview and should start trying to sort out a 'plan B'! Also, even after the 4th still be prepared to be invited just in case the NHS miss their deadlines. It's not exactly uncommon!

Same here, I too had already started thinking of how I should improve my application for next year's intake but just got a call for an interview. Please don't lose hope yet.
Reply 1569
Original post by Maureen2000
Hi Laura, I am so happy. To be honest, I had given up all hope because it is sooo competitive. I really really want to work for the NHS and this would mean the whole world to me. I got a call for Clinical Engineering interview in Birmingham. I am having hope again.:biggrin: One more step to go.

Well done! :smile: hope it all works out for you. I have made the hardest decision of my life and decided to turn down two of the interviews I had :s-smilie: I really hope I dont regret it! I am in my 5th year of an MSci and I just have so much work to do in the next 5weeks till I finish. I know people will think I am mad but I really don’t wanna mess up my degree to attend lots of interviews so I have decided just to focus on one. Really praying it pays off haha, if not I can always apply again next year, my application can’t get any worse so thought I'd still have a shot next year if the worst happens.

You better get prepared for assessment centre and get across to them your passion :smile: best of luck!
Original post by laura22
Well done! :smile: hope it all works out for you. I have made the hardest decision of my life and decided to turn down two of the interviews I had :s-smilie: I really hope I dont regret it! I am in my 5th year of an MSci and I just have so much work to do in the next 5weeks till I finish. I know people will think I am mad but I really don’t wanna mess up my degree to attend lots of interviews so I have decided just to focus on one. Really praying it pays off haha, if not I can always apply again next year, my application can’t get any worse so thought I'd still have a shot next year if the worst happens.

You better get prepared for assessment centre and get across to them your passion :smile: best of luck!

turned down two interviews for the STP scheme or another job?
Reply 1571
Original post by GraduateSK
turned down two interviews for the STP scheme or another job?

Turned down Birmingham interview for the assessment centre with medical physics and Newcastle for medical physics. Going to concentrate on the Scotland interview :s-smilie: I know that may not be a great decision but I do need to pass my course to get in after all. I didn’t expect to get interviews for them all, I wasn’t sure I'd even get one interview so that’s why I applied to more than one place. Just really hoping its not the worst decision of my life haha but there’s always next year I guess.
Original post by laura22
Turned down Birmingham interview for the assessment centre with medical physics and Newcastle for medical physics. Going to concentrate on the Scotland interview :s-smilie: I know that may not be a great decision but I do need to pass my course to get in after all. I didn’t expect to get interviews for them all, I wasn’t sure I'd even get one interview so that’s why I applied to more than one place. Just really hoping its not the worst decision of my life haha but there’s always next year I guess.

i admire you turning them down.. it leaves it open for others.. good luck with ur course and scot interview
So the assesment centres:
Everything is done by scores?
you may not even be interviewed by the consultant scientist hiring you?
Do they give marks for first impressions, being friendly and likeble, and easy to work with? Do they balls!
This years intake is gonna be full of PhD geeks with no personality - no offence anyone.
Fresh graduates havent got a cat in hells chance.
Well if you go in with that attitude then you will certainly not get the position.

Every formal interview is essentially based on the same idea: meeting criteria. If you are qualified to do the job you have a chance of getting the job.

I have a PhD but there were people on the open day I went to who were still doing their degrees but had made the most of work experience and other opportunities during their degree who I think have a better chance than me.

Plus I actually value my qualifications and worked hard to get them so I could get a job like this

So calm down and look at this logically.
Original post by fairyface
Do they give marks for first impressions, being friendly and likeble, and easy to work with? Do they balls!
This years intake is gonna be full of PhD geeks with no personality - no offence anyone.

Yeah I know it seems completely impersonal but at least it's as transparent as they can possibly make it. There's a very detailed set of criteria so you know that if you fit the criteria (which include personal skills as essential and higher degrees as simply desirable) better than your competition you will get the job. Fresh graduates have a good chance but higher degrees are, rightfully, given some credit too. I have nothing to complain about in terms of fairness and I think it allows for any rejection to be taken less personally, which has to be a good thing. Not really a fan of assessment centres as a concept though, but I can see why they do it.
Original post by fairyface

I think the assessments will be fair and thats the word to remember. If you cant answer the questions, then you shouldnt get the job. Full stop. The people giving you scores wont even know if you have a PhD or not so having a PhD is not an advantage at all.
Although if having a PhD is an advantage, I will be well happyy cos after the hard work of doing a PhD, I think I deserve to get a job over undergrads!
Original post by GraduateSK
The people giving you scores wont even know if you have a PhD or not so having a PhD is not an advantage at all.

If this is the case then I agree it is fair, but I doubt the lab managers will like this new selection criteria.

Last year I went for a lab visit to a biochemistry lab. The manager was dead enthusiastic about me and made notes and he really encouraged me to apply. I did. Wasnt shortlisted. So I asked for feedback, and he told me I lost marks for my education. I was really upset because he was obviously looking for PhD candidates (the last few years all successful applicants had PhD's) but still told me to apply - so I had no chance from the beginning and wasted one of my four places!

Btw - I have a 2.1 and 5 years experience in a NHS biochemistry lab!

Also, every grade A trainee I have spoken to who have PhDs said they would never have done a PhD if they could of got the job without it. I think higher degrees are the way into this profession, it seems worth miles more than years of lab experience.

From my experince a career in the NHS is not all its cracked up to be. If you want to be a trainee clinical scientist be prepared to move around the country as there are no jobs and will be even fewer with all the cuts. Not a career move for someone with a mortgage and family!
.... and having a PhD will be a massive advantage when answering the questions as the knowledge and skills you have aquired doing the thing will help you speak with conviction and confidence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending