The Student Room Group

Alternative routes to the bar?

I am a 1st year LLb student doing very well (so far) and I already have my mind (and heart) set on becoming a Barrister. I left school young without GCSE's (due to an illness) and didn't bother to go back and get them even though I was predicted to gain top marks across the board.

After a couple of years of "finding myself" where I kept myself busy with an array of jobs, I decided to go back to college, where I was introduced to the Access qualification.

Nearly a year on and I'm preparing a C.V for work experience and noticing that all the websites dedicated to legal career advice state that I need to put my GCSE grades and A Level grades into my C.V as these will be considered.

Obviously this leaves me a little more than unnerved! Does this mean that I'm just kidding myself attempting to become a Barrister?

Or simply that I am getting to the bar via an alternative route?

I am prepared to work hard and most deffinately prepared to work even harder to get what I want!
Reply 1
Sorry - if you did not obtain GCSE's, how were you allowed on an A Level course? If you were not allowed on an A Level course, how were you allowed to study Law?
Reply 2
Original post by Rybee
Sorry - if you did not obtain GCSE's, how were you allowed on an A Level course? If you were not allowed on an A Level course, how were you allowed to study Law?

I didn't do A levels, instead i did an access course. It's a year long course I suppose the equivalent of 3 A levels (a grade) and Maths and English GCSE?

Basically you get into University via your grades on the the Access course and an interview.
Reply 3
Can't you just list your Access results instead?
Reply 4
I would just list your Access course results. Usually the guidelines for filling in these forms focus on the normal educational background of the applicant but that doesn't mean there isn't flexibility. GCSE/A Level results may be considered but that doesn't mean that your alternative university entry method isn't just as valid.

You have picked yourself up from an illness that stopped you completing your education and shown that you are capable of achieving a place at university and that should count for a great deal. It is the kind of tenacity that a lot of employers like to see.
Reply 5
Original post by minnieuk
I would just list your Access course results. Usually the guidelines for filling in these forms focus on the normal educational background of the applicant but that doesn't mean there isn't flexibility. GCSE/A Level results may be considered but that doesn't mean that your alternative university entry method isn't just as valid.

You have picked yourself up from an illness that stopped you completing your education and shown that you are capable of achieving a place at university and that should count for a great deal. It is the kind of tenacity that a lot of employers like to see.

I totally agree. Whilst it has to be made clear that you're at an obvious disadvantage since the bar is incredibly 'traditional', you always have a chance. I've seen various similar stories and people have succeeded. You just need to have your heart in it and account for lack of previous academic qualifications by showing academic/career progression. That's the key.
Reply 6
It's bad that I thought this thread was referring to different routes to the pub, isn't it.
Reply 7
Original post by goewyn
It's bad that I thought this thread was referring to different routes to the pub, isn't it.

Typical Aussie! Anyway, don't you know that all routes lead to the pub?
Reply 8
Original post by Glennie
Typical Aussie! Anyway, don't you know that all routes lead to the pub?

Well what do you think my contribution to the thread was going to be if I were correct? Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but either can lead an Aussie to a pint with their eyes closed :wink:

Quick Reply