The Student Room Group

What about these subjects? NEED HELP

What do you think are the best subjects to choose in A-level course and why?
What about Economics, Business Studies, Art and Maths?
I need your advises - Thank you! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Hello,
There is no such thing as "the best A-level", it however is vital that you choose your courses in correspondement with your future pathways.

Aim to select courses you enjoy and have the best understanding of. Furthermore do not select choices that may be viewed "inferior" to another. It would be abismal for you to be faced with an immediate disadvantage at this early stage due to your option choices.

The A-levels in question that you are thinking about:

Buissness studies- Are you selecting this subject as a makeshift fourth option? an AS? If not ponder your judgement. Personnaly I would alter this choice to that of a science or potentially an English subject. By selecting an Science or Enlglish subject you open the door to numerous more future pathways than you would with buissness studies.

Mathematics- An excellent subject choice. Respected by all and hated by none. By choosing Maths you have unlocked many potential pathways.

Economics- This is a good A-level if you are seeking a future in accountancy. Or other related counterparts.

Art - This option is slightly diverted from others honestly I would alter this one for a subject that holds more "academic value".

To review your decisions, I would personnaly alter Buisness sutides and Art. Pherhaps change them for English Literture and a Science? Them you will have:

Mathematics
Science ( Biology, Chesmistry or Physics)
English Literature
Economics

Without expressing dicatorship, choose these courses, for they will unlock a vast variety of career options; as well as equally holding high levels of "academic value". Do not limit yourself.

Good luck in deciding.
Reply 2
Dan-app, thank you so much for this extensive and very helpful explanation.
I have a few more questions for you:

1) You suggested me to choose English Literature - how much knowledge of English Language do you need for this academic subject? Is it generally hard for those whose native language is not English?
2) What about Biology and Chemistry? (briefly, difficulty)
3) Politics - is this good choice?

I will definitely avoid choosing Art, probably Business Studies too.

I want to choose 4 academic subjects, as you wrote above, and maybe I will made the choice you suggested - but obviously, what level in English you have to be? Intermediate, Advanced or what?

Thank you again
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ghijk
Dan-app, thank you so much for this extensive and very helpful explanation.
I have a few questions more for you:

1) You suggest me to choose English Literature - how much knowledge of English Language do you need for this academic subject? Is it generally hard for those whose native language is not English?
2) What about biology and chemistry? (briefly, difficulty)
3) Politics - is this good choice?

I will definitely avoid choosing Art, probably Business Studies too.

I want to choose 4 academic subjects, as you wrote above, and maybe I will made the choice you suggested - but obviously, what level in English you have to be? Intermediate, Advanced or what?

Thank you again

Not sure about English Literature but Biology and/or Chemistry would be a great choice. Although they are difficult and require a lot of hard work I think they are worth it and of course give you endless options when considering a degree course. If you are not sure about what you want to do yet as a degree or a career then I believe choosing just the one Science is a good idea. By the way definitely do maths! :cool:
Reply 4
Original post by 1platinum
Not sure about English Literature but Biology and/or Chemistry would be a great choice. Although they are difficult and require a lot of hard work I think they are worth it and of course give you endless options when considering a degree course. If you are not sure about what you want to do yet as a degree or a career then I believe choosing just the one Science is a good idea. By the way definitely do maths! :cool:

Thank you, I know both Chemistry and Biology are very interesting, partially because a lot of deep exploring (experiments, etc.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Don't do business and economics.

Maths, Economics are good, Art doesn't go with them, some that do include History, Geography, Further maths, any science, Politics (maybe Psychology)
Reply 6
Maths,
Economics,
Biology,
English Literature

the most probable choice...
Reply 7
Original post by tateco
Don't do business and economics.

Maths, Economics are good, Art doesn't go with them, some that do include History, Geography, Further maths, any science, Politics (maybe Psychology)

??
Reply 8
Original post by ghijk
??

I meant don't do both, but do do economics. Also I forgot English Lit off my list
Reply 9
yeah, my mistake...sorry :cool:
Original post by ghijk
Thank you, I know both Chemistry and Biology are very interesting, partially because a lot of deep exploring (experiments, etc.)

If you are more mathematical then I would do Chemistry or Physics. Have you ever considered doing Physics? Biology is ok, but it can get really boring at times.
Reply 11
If you are more mathematical then I would do Chemistry or Physics. Have you ever considered doing Physics? Biology is ok, but it can get really boring at times.

I haven't clearly decided - however, I have successfully competed in Biology and that puts it ahead of Chemistry and Physics; but nothing is definite

Can I somewhere see the books of subjects or stuff like that, just to inform myself?

Also, are British students able to study Economics before the age of 16?

Thanks
Original post by ghijk
I haven't clearly decided - however, I have successfully competed in Biology and that puts it ahead of Chemistry and Physics; but nothing is definite

Can I somewhere see the books of subjects or stuff like that, just to inform myself?

Also, are British students able to study Economics before the age of 16?

Thanks

I am sure you can pick up textbooks form your library to have a browse. You mean to study A level Economics?
Reply 13
I am sure you can pick up textbooks form your library to have a browse. You mean to study A level Economics?

1. ok
2. A level or even some simplified form, anyways.
Original post by ghijk
1. ok
2. A level or even some simplified form, anyways.

Well yes you can start studying for an A level before you are 16 definitely. Aren't you in year 11 though?
Reply 15
Well yes you can start studying for an A level before you are 16 definitely. Aren't you in year 11 though?

I am not very informed in school system in the UK. I got the scholarship and I will study in the United Kingdom.
Reply 16
Original post by ghijk
I am not very informed in school system in the UK. I got the scholarship and I will study in the United Kingdom.

What grades do you want? I would advise against taking English Literature as a non-native speaker.

If I were you, I would take

Maths, Further Maths, Physics/Chemistry, Economics

or

Maths, Physics/Chemistry, Economics, Art
Reply 17
I agree take a science instead of art, but if your interested in business studies and will find it interesting and think you can do well, then don't be disheartened to take it! Maths and economics are good subjects, a science would be good but I would take the 4th one as something that would relate to a maybe vague idea of what you want to do when you older?
Reply 18
I agree to you all - Maths, Economics, Science (Biology) and ?

? - maybe English Literature (it is also possible to choose English Language, but I think it is more interesting to learn language through its artistic form); Although I will study Economics, I would not have chosen both Economics and Business Studies.

So, I have two questions to you:
1) What English Level you need to follow the subject like Eng Literature? (Mid pr Upper Intermediate, Advanced)
link for more info: http://www.englishschool.org.uk/levels.htm
2) Are British students (pupils) able to choose Economics before the Sixts Form (I mean before 15-16 years old)?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest