The Student Room Group

Libyan foreign minister Moussa Koussa flees to UK

Libya's foreign minister Moussa Koussa, one of Col Gaddafi's closest aides, has arrived in London and told officials he is quitting, the Foreign Office says.

It said Mr Koussa had indicated he was no longer willing to represent the Libyan leader's regime internationally.

But a Libyan government spokesman has insisted Mr Koussa was travelling abroad on a diplomatic mission.

It comes as the UK takes steps to expel five Libyan diplomats.

Foreign Secretary William Hague told MPs the five, who include the military attache, "could pose a threat" to UK security.

The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson said the minister had flown into Farnborough airport, in Hampshire, on Wednesday afternoon and had been debriefed, most likely by intelligence officials.

He said the fact he had flown into Farnborough was significant as he had clearly not been on a commercial flight.

"What is not clear is whether he has arrived simply to escape, or to play a wider role in any opposition to Col Gaddafi," he said.

"Clearly his defection, if that's what it becomes, will be used to urge others to follow suit and claim the regime is losing support."

Mr Koussa has not met with Prime Minister David Cameron or Foreign Secretary William Hague yet, but he is known to have been a point of contact for Mr Hague in recent weeks.

In a statement the Foreign Office said: "We can confirm that Moussa Koussa arrived at Farnborough Airport on 30 March from Tunisia.
"He travelled here under his own free will. He has told us he is resigning his post.

"Koussa is one of the most senior figures in Gaddafi's government and his role was to represent the regime internationally - something that he is no longer willing to do."

The development comes as rebels fighting Libyan government forces are continuing to lose ground and are retreating from their former strongholds along the eastern coast of Libya.

Earlier, Prime Minister David Cameron said the UK was not ruling out providing arms to rebels in "certain circumstances" but no decision had been taken.

The UK has been involved in more than 160 aerial missions, as well as missile strikes, over Libya since coalition operations began on 19 March following a UN resolution.

The coalition military action is aimed at enforcing a no-fly zone over Libya and protecting civilians from attacks by forces loyal to its leader Col Muammar Gaddafi. It has denied air strikes are meant to provide cover for a rebel advance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12915685

This is the fellow who, I believe, at the start of the UN No-Fly Resolution said the regime had agreed to a ceasefire at the same time as Gaddafi forces continued to push into Benghazi.
Reply 1
Think he might be plotting to start up an opposition and has came to the UK to get international backing.
Reply 2
Original post by Tyler.
Think he might be plotting to start up an opposition and has came to the UK to get international backing.

There's already an opposition, The Transitional National Council in Benghazi. It would be a big tragic if Gaddafi falls only for rival successor governments to set upon each other.
Reply 3
Original post by Tyler.

Hes late then. The rebels have already been in contact and no doubt a plan has been made.
What a cock.
He's nothing but a cockroach trying to save his own hide.
Reply 6
Put him in the Tower of London until the end of the conflict.

As in, the house-arrest apartments, rather than the dungeon.
All I want to know...

....was Blair there to meet him upon arrival? "We go way back old chum, put it there"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Why the **** do they keep coming to England?
Shouldn't have allowed him into our airspace.. can't defect and then expect to lead a kushty life and make us spend tons of money protecting him..
Original post by insignificant
Shouldn't have allowed him into our airspace.. can't defect and then expect to lead a kushty life and make us spend tons of money protecting him..

stupid.... do you know his circumstances?.... I still can't understand why people pass judgement so hastily.
Reply 11
I'm inclined to treating him with respect, sets a precedent for other Libyan defectors.
Reply 12
Original post by Fusilero
I'm inclined to treating him with respect, sets a precedent for other Libyan defectors.

Indeed. Personally I would not be surprised if Gadaffi himself ends up leaving Libya on a US jet to a country of his choice.
Reply 13
Original post by Aj12
Indeed. Personally I would not be surprised if Gadaffi himself ends up leaving Libya on a US jet to a country of his choice.

As I see there's only two real options there, some variation of what you say or a drawn out bloody stand to the death of Libya, maybe even a Nero Decree to spice things up.

EDIT: Well, there's also the third of Gaddafi remaining in power.
Original post by danmart1n
If he's against Gadaffi then he's with us.
If it's fakery then he should be turned away.
Unlike the majority, I trust the appropriate people to make an appropriate judgement.

Who said we all are against Gadaffi?
Al qaeda or Hezbollah have probaly got people within the rebels now so im siding with Gadaffi.
Reply 15
As I see there's only two real options there, some variation of what you say or a drawn out bloody stand to the death of Libya, maybe even a Nero Decree to spice things up.

EDIT: Well, there's also the third of Gaddafi remaining in power.

Partition of the country or him crushing the rebels.
no doubt they've given him a flat and a mobile phone, and £28000 a year in benefits, while there's good honest English people who can't get on the housing ladder...it sickens me....
Reply 17
Original post by Aj12
Partition of the country or him crushing the rebels.

Partition the country, the humble fourth option appears. That is only slightly more palatable than crushing the rebels or a Nero Decree and a last stand though.
Reply 18
Partition the country, the humble fourth option appears. That is only slightly more palatable than crushing the rebels or a Nero Decree and a last stand though.

Or wild card. SAS strike team to assassinate Gadaffi.

But really I think we will see Gadaffi going for a last stand.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
no doubt they've given him a flat and a mobile phone, and £28000 a year in benefits, while there's good honest English people who can't get on the housing ladder...it sickens me....

Evidence? Oh wait, no.... just cynicism....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending