The Student Room Group

Failing all my As-levels

For my Jan exams I got 3 U's in Biology, Chemistry and French and I got a U for my history mock and I'm still not motivated. How can I revise and can I still get B's for AS?
Reply 1
Original post by ned6494
For my Jan exams I got 3 U's in Biology, Chemistry and French and I got a U for my history mock and I'm still not motivated. How can I revise and can I still get B's for AS?

Past papers...lots and lots of past papers for biology and chemistry. I'm not sure about the other two sorry.
Tbh. Just resit the whole year.
Reply 3
aww I know how you feel, I got two Us in the AS Jan exams.

it depends how much work you felt you did. I know I didn't do enough work and procrastinated way too much, so now I'm going to prepare early for the exams, by: reading through the syllabus, learning the theory, doing loads of past exam papers, and making sure I'm confident with the content almost 100%. Find out your exam dates so you can plan your revision now, so you leave yourself enough time and feel more confident.

with the motivation issue, think about how you felt when you realised you got Us. If you felt like me, I felt shocked and disappointed. Use that as motivation so you won't repeat it (assuming you're retaking).

don't worry :smile: this time around you should have a better feel for the subjects and do better. A lot of people do badly in Jan exams and get straight As and Bs the next time round.

good luck and feel free to PM me, cus I'm in the same position as you :P
Reply 4
It's not unusual for students to do badly in their first set of Jan exams, people don't appreciate the step up from GCSE. You have to put in a lot of work if you want to achieve a good grade, so lots of revision, past papers and making sure you're prepared for absolutely everything on the spec.
Reply 5
Read the textbooks, understand the concepts, then do the past years papers by checking the marking schemes, you'll get a much much better idea about how you need to answer the questions. Then do all the past papers you can find. I intend to print out all the past papers on the aqa website, both old and new. Do the same!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ned6494

Get off TSR and do some work.... :cool:
This step up from GCSE business is a farce, A levels are the easiest piece of rubbish I've ever encountered.
Original post by AndroidLight
This step up from GCSE business is a farce, A levels are the easiest piece of rubbish I've ever encountered.

What. A. Tool.

Of course there is a step up, that's why it is called advanced level.

And if they are almighty one then why aren't you too busy doing your second PHD for your 400k a year job?

Oh, because you're just trolling.
I got a U in my january Maths exam and I got my report today and its just so bad. My attendance is 57% and my school is threatening to kick me out if I don't work harder. But I'm finding it so hard to concentrate in class, I really want to go to uni but at this rate I won't be able to get in. I revised for my GCSE's basically the night before each exam but for A-levels its clear I can't do this. I really don't know what to do. Part of me wants to do better but the other half really cba and just wants to mess around on the interet all day.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Agenda Suicide
What. A. Tool.

Of course there is a step up, that's why it is called advanced level.

And if they are almighty one then why aren't you too busy doing your second PHD for your 400k a year job?

Oh, because you're just trolling.

There is nothing hard about it. There may be more content, that's covered by more hours in lessons. But overall there's nothing difficult. Heck I found the topics at GCSE more varied. Three of my subjects, Bio, Chem, Phys, I can honestly say there is almost no topics that are remotely difficult to understand, should a person put a slight amount of effort in to understand anything that may at first seem difficult. My point is not that everyone should be getting As, obviously it's harder for some than others, but in no way are A levels the great step up people on here seem to make it to be.
Original post by Lissi-Jayne
I got a U in my january Maths exam and I got my report today and its just so bad. My attendance is 57% and my school is threatening to kick me out if I don't work harder. But I'm finding it so hard to concentrate in class, I really want to go to uni but at this rate I won't be able to get in. I revised for my GCSE's basically the night before each exam but for A-levels its clear I can't do this. I really don't know what to do. Part of me wants to do better but the other half really cba and just wants to mess around on the interet all day.

I got a D or an E for my AS Maths mocks in January last year, and that was genuinely due to not understanding the content/not putting any effort in. It was around now that I put a lot of effort in, reviewed the books for C1/C2/S1 as the edexcel books split the topics up nicely, and went through a plethora of past papers. It wasn't a full on attack method, it was gradual but by the time exams arrived I was easily ready. You have time, you just need to get motivation. What you do now will have a massive effect on your life, not going to uni could be a moment you look back on in ten years and wished you acted differently when you had the chance. I say this not to lecture you in anyway, I say it because it's my motivation, not wanting to fail and wanting to do the best to be able to live a good life and help those around me. Oh and my attendance this year is ridiculously low too, so you're not alone there, but that's in the past now, there's a good 6 weeks at least before exam time, and that's way more than enough time.
(edited 13 years ago)
I got a D or an E for my AS Maths mocks in January last year, and that was genuinely due to not understanding the content/not putting any effort in. It was around now that I put a lot of effort in, reviewed the books for C1/C2/S1 as the edexcel books split the topics up nicely, and went through a plethora of past papers. It wasn't a full on attack method, it was gradual but by the time exams arrived I was easily ready. You have time, you just need to get motivation. What you do now will have a massive effect on your life, not going to uni could be a moment you look back on in ten years and wished you acted differently when you had the chance. I say this not to lecture you in anyway, I say it because it's my motivation, not wanting to fail and wanting to do the best to be able to live a good life and help those around me. Oh and my attendance this year is ridiculously low too, so you're not alone there, but that's in the past now, there's a good 6 weeks at least before exam time, and that's way more than enough time.

I just don't know where to get my motivation from...
There is nothing hard about it. There may be more content, that's covered by more hours in lessons. But overall there's nothing difficult. Heck I found the topics at GCSE more varied. Three of my subjects, Bio, Chem, Phys, I can honestly say there is almost no topics that are remotely difficult to understand, should a person put a slight amount of effort in to understand anything that may at first seem difficult. My point is not that everyone should be getting As, obviously it's harder for some than others, but in no way are A levels the great step up people on here seem to make it to be.

you must have failed English
Original post by Lissi-Jayne
I just don't know where to get my motivation from...

Most of the time with regards to work it's about getting rid of distractions (so basically destroying anything electrical with a hammer..) and just doing the work, taking breaks etc but doing a bit everyday nonetheless.

Ok, so what do you want out of life? And if you truly want it, whether it's to be the owner of a massive company or live a quite life with kids or whatever, ask yourself whether failing now will help or hinder you. I really don't want to sound all mighty here, so apologies if it comes across that way, the main point I'm trying to get across is that you have time, but it'll go fast and the worst scenario is starting revision the week before for a subject like maths as it's more slow and gradual learning as opposed to bulk memorisation for a subject like history. I checked your bio, I can't say anything for Media Studies or English Lit, but if you need any help with Maths I can help you out with topics and generally what do go through, if you want and maybe I can help you out in someway. I'm not sure if it helps, but I do think having someone else nearby just being there helps at least a little.
Reply 15
Sit down at a desk and work, people talk a lot of *******s about motivating yourself, so what? you want to wait until you feel motivated, i.e. in the mood for it, if you sit down and do the work the rest follows.
I got DDDU and turned them into AAB (haven't done resit for the U yet)

The results gave me a wake up call, but as yours didn't, I honestly have no idea how to motivate you.
You don't need an epiphany moment, in my experience if that happens it's usually 24 hours before the exam when you have barely touched a textbook (i.e. by then it's useless durrr). It's March 31st, you have just over a month and a half to get up to scratch, IMO that's enough time if you get your arse into gear soon-ish.

So many people I know tell me that they can't be bothered or just don't feel motivated, and honestly it pisses me off. How many more failures will it take? A-Levels aren't the most important things in the world, but you will appreciate the options they give you later on. Trust me on this one, it's a ****ty moment when you realise that you have to settle for second best because you didn't put in the time when you had the chance.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest