The Student Room Group

Anti-Street Harassment UK- a new feminist group.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ulo
In reality though, it rarely depends on what you're wearing, you just need to be recognised as a woman.

I don't care if I'm in my Superdry trackies or a going-out dress, I just roll my eyes and get on with life. Acting all butthurt and creating retarded womens' groups like this just gets us taken less seriously.
Reply 21
Original post by My name is URL
It's absolutely disgusting and sickens me how men still continually objectify women in this way.

Your mother is a woman, so is your sister and girlfriend. Would you like them to be treated this degrading way by men? Unwarranted harassment is completely unacceptable from anyone, regardless of gender but it's particularly a problem with males from lower socio-economic backgrounds. Women ought to be able to walk down the street without feeling intimidated or sexually threatened in 21st century Britain.

the ugly ones are
Reply 22
I dont understand all this feminism thing nowadays, Women get away with sexism on TV way too much and no one says anything, something is said on sky about women and 1 person is sacked and another resigns.

now i was watching a programme and a women TV chef remarked "even a man could do this", i thought to myself if jamie oliver said that he would not get work for years and would be pretty much dropped form channel 4, why do women get away with it, Feminists preach no sexism but are sexist themselves towards men, conflicting views?
Reply 23
Original post by canimakeit
why the same sex that isn't an identical comparison....

Women are smaller weaker and much slimmer on average than men. the average girl is what, 5'4?

Would you feel scared of someone like that in a cab or alley? Or would you feel more threatened by a 6'4 guy of 220lbs? the threat of assault and fear should to be proportionate
Reply 24
Original post by Lewroll
beat her with my club and drag her back to my cave

Anything that looks sexually attractive gets that treatment from me, although I use a more sophisticated ethanol based form of the club which takes a tad longer to work but is surprisingly legal. :pierre:
Original post by Miu-Miu
Women are smaller weaker and much slimmer on average than men. the average girl is what, 5'4?

Would you feel scared of someone like that in a cab or alley? Or would you feel more threatened by a 6'4 guy of 220lbs? the threat of assault and fear should to be proportionate

Really? the threat of assault and fear should to be proportionate? you do know that statistically a male is 3x more likely to be attacked than a woman right?

Not to mention you equated rude comments/ grouping with anal rape.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by justlol
i've had numerous occassions when girls have literally shouted at me from within a car or across the street. once i had a a group of girls follow me in my car, hooting their horn for me to pull over. girls can get aggressive too. especially when there's a pack of them.

it's a turn off. subtlety works wonders.

I agree, sexually objectifying anyone isn't cool at all. I'm sure you can imagine how awful it can be in the dark, if you're not massively built or really strong how intimidating that could be for a woman, being followed in a car or back to your house or whatever.
Reply 27
Original post by HarmanFan
Shouting suggestive remarks at a woman in the street should be an arrestable offence (and prison should be an option for repeat offenders), and the woman should be able to sue for compensation. It's humiliating and objectifies women - unacceptable.

Judging by your thread on enforcing a 50% women quota in parliament I personally find your opinions on anything utterly worthless.
This thread has reasserted my hate for feminists.
Original post by blu tack
I have no idea why some in this thread are talking about men 'looking' at women... this is about harassment, not just looking. And if being shouted at in the street makes a lot of women uncomfortable (which it does, me included), then it's unacceptable.
Whether you think women are being oversensitive or shouldn't be offended by it or whatever, is entirely irrelevant because the fact is, we are made uncomfortable by it.

What I don't understand is- what's the point? Do you think shouting 'nice arse, love' at a random stranger has ever got her into bed?

lolwut

Your post makes me uncomfortable. THEREFORE IT IS UNACCEPTABLE. Whether you think your post is completely reasonable is irrelevant.

Or not.
Reply 30
I think it's great that this group is starting up. I was talking with my flatmates (two other girls) to our friend (a guy) who had no idea that girls felt like this. It happens so often to young women that it's just kind of taken for granted now, even though every time it happens it still feels horrible. And of course this isn't just men looking, it's the comments and groping that go with it. I want to be able to walk down the street without having to worry about this but to be honest you can only choose to ignore it. It is intimidating when you are walking down the street on your own and a group of guys are walking towards you and you get this s*** from them. Like it says in the article - they are trying to assert their masculinity at the expense of someone else and it is completely and totally disrespectful. Yes, women do it to men too but not nearly as much and it is not as intimidating as when it comes from a men. Come on guys, you know it's not really a great idea for a woman to walk around on her own at night and yet there are still guys saying they don't understand? I have actually been scared of men behaving like this and have been told by guy friends not to walk alone at night - it's because of harassment and it's about time we tried to stop it.
Reply 31
Original post by Ventura7
I dont understand all this feminism thing nowadays, Women get away with sexism on TV way too much and no one says anything, something is said on sky about women and 1 person is sacked and another resigns.

now i was watching a programme and a women TV chef remarked "even a man could do this", i thought to myself if jamie oliver said that he would not get work for years and would be pretty much dropped form channel 4, why do women get away with it, Feminists preach no sexism but are sexist themselves towards men, conflicting views?

Coming from a totally different place though given women's historical subjugation, surely it's a bit subversive? But yes, I do agree - unlikely that TV chef does identify as a feminist though...
Sexism is no good for men or women, it relies on too many inaccurate stereotypes and has this picture of ridiculous masculinity that not many men can actually (or would want to) live up to.
Reply 32
Original post by Spetznaaz
This thread has reasserted my hate for feminists.

Huh? Did you read the linked article, for starters?
Reply 33
Original post by Aj12
Judging by your thread on enforcing a 50% women quota in parliament I personally find your opinions on anything utterly worthless.

i concur
Reply 34
No woman should have to put up with harassment walking down the street, regardless of what she is wearing- but to be fair, unless it's abusive comments or actual physical contact, then the whole thing is blown out of proportion as it usually is, inadvertently reducing the credibility of genuine cases. I mean if it was to go as far as reporting a guy for looking or wolf whistling or even a comment which is not abusive or that embarrassing just for the sake of it/to make a point then that's ridiculous.
Original post by stewe
I think it's great that this group is starting up. I was talking with my flatmates (two other girls) to our friend (a guy) who had no idea that girls felt like this. It happens so often to young women that it's just kind of taken for granted now, even though every time it happens it still feels horrible. And of course this isn't just men looking, it's the comments and groping that go with it. I want to be able to walk down the street without having to worry about this but to be honest you can only choose to ignore it. It is intimidating when you are walking down the street on your own and a group of guys are walking towards you and you get this s*** from them. Like it says in the article - they are trying to assert their masculinity at the expense of someone else and it is completely and totally disrespectful. Yes, women do it to men too but not nearly as much and it is not as intimidating as when it comes from a men. Come on guys, you know it's not really a great idea for a woman to walk around on her own at night and yet there are still guys saying they don't understand? I have actually been scared of men behaving like this and have been told by guy friends not to walk alone at night - it's because of harassment and it's about time we tried to stop it.

See, that's what annoys me about these feminist groups.

You want one standard for men shouting things at women, and another standard for women shouting things at men.
Reply 36
Original post by My name is URL
This pretty much proves how women had the right idea in creating this group.

Men are brought up in our culture to believe they have the right to watch, judge, and loudly comment upon the body of any woman who trespasses into public space. Your response is immediately to defend the men who turn to harassment instead of encouraging them to look at their own behaviour critically?

I'm not defending groping. But remarks?? Women have all the power in forming relationships, if a man is unattractive, he will be incredibly lonely. So these men get desperate. Then women dressing provocatively is like dangling meat infront of a hungry bears face, then getting suprised when it tries to take it.
Seriously?

**** like this is why I really dislike some of my same gender peers.
If a guy wolfwhistles you roll your eyes and get on with life not start a protest group about it.
Reply 38
Looking?: Fine.

Continuous staring, shouting, touching?: Not Acceptable.

Come on guys, this isn't rocket science. Just human decency.
Original post by Magsam
Looking?: Fine.

Continuous staring, shouting, touching?: Not Acceptable.

Come on guys, this isn't rocket science. Just human decency.

Continuous staring is definitely fine.

Shouting and touching aren't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending