The Student Room Group

Am I to stupid to get a job?

Did terribly in my A Levels and only managed two Bs; GCSEs were atrocious with Bs and Cs and the one D.

I can't find even a simple job atm, is there no hope of ever getting a proper graduate job? Or not necessarily a 'graduate' job, but something that I won't be embarrassed to tell people about?

I'm too stupid to go to university, thus explaing the 'graduate' ininverted commas.

I just can't see any options for a future, and when I do I always find out about it too late.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You may be academically 'stupid'.
But this does not mean you lack logic, or common sense, or a particular set of skills. Skills such as good on the phone, good at cheering people up etc can all be put to good use.

How about apprenticeships? Have you looked into anything about that?

Or a retail job. If you work in BHS, and inform management you wish to stay on for a long time in order to progress up to management levels then they will help you specifically do that with training etc. I have had a few friends do that and there are no doubt further examples in other stores.
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Original post by Tommyjw
You may be academically 'stupid'.
But this does not mean you lack logic, or common sense, or a particular set of skills. Skills such as good on the phone, good at cheering people up etc can all be put to good use.

How about apprenticeships? Have you looked into anything about that?

Or a retail job. If you work in BHS, and inform management you wish to stay on for a long time in order to progress up to management levels then they will help you specifically do that with training etc. I have had a few friends do that and there are no doubt further examples in other stores.

Yes, but what I'd like to do requires a degree. I suppose it's time to start settling for my lot and just do anything, even if I hate it. Thanks
Original post by hatemylife
Did terribly in my A Levels and only managed two Bs; GCSEs were atrocious with Bs and Cs and the one D.

I can't find even a simple job atm, is there no hope of ever getting a proper graduate job? Or not necessarily a 'graduate' job, but something that I won't be embarrassed to tell people about?

I'm too stupid to go to university, thus explaing the 'graduate' ininverted commas.

I just can't see any options for a future, and when I do I always find out about it too late.

Thread title should be "Am I too stupid to get a job?"

By the way, the answer is yes.

*EDIT* lmfao, turns out I'm even more retarded/tired than the OP!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mackemforever
Thread title should be "Am I to stupid too get a job?"

Actually it should be double 'o' on the first too, but this laptop doesn't always type the keys and I don't know how to amend it.
Reply 6

You are not too stupid to go to university. With your grades you could do a foundation course before entering an actual degree, adding on an extra year, so when you graduate you can apply for a job suited to your qualifications.

You won't get into top unis but you will certainly be able to find something.
It depends - did you have any extenuating circumstances? There are universities out there who would accept students with your grades, by the way. Just not the prestigious ones.
Reply 8

Fail. The first 'to' should be the one to be amended, not the second.
Reply 9

Halfway there, buddy. Hint: It's the first 'to' where two 'o's are needed.

You are joking, surely....?
Reply 11
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
It depends - did you have any extenuating circumstances? There are universities out there who would accept students with your grades, by the way. Just not the prestigious ones.

Not really. But I am prone to plunge into deep unhappiness (not depression) for weeks on end, then be happy and optimistic about the future before plummeting back to usual self. I was like this for the AS half, and like it up until a few months before final exams in A2. I was getting Es and Us for all of that time, then I got an A* in coursework and Bs in the exams. It's no excuse, really, so no, I don't.
Reply 12
Actually it should be double 'o' on the first too, but this laptop doesn't always type the keys and I don't know how to amend it.

Your obviously smarter than at least one guy. Seriously dude. There's so many opportunities out there for anyone willing to work hard and believe. First thing you'll have to leave behind is this notion that you're stupid. Even if it was true it would do nothing but put you down. Find a course or training that you like and set a long term goal. Then put you're head down and work towards it. Personally i would say go to university as you can discover a lot about yourself there and meet a lot of great people. Just dont be negative and dont waste time.
Not really. But I am prone to plunge into deep unhappiness (not depression) for weeks on end, then be happy and optimistic about the future before plummeting back to usual self. I was like this for the AS half, and like it up until a few months before final exams in A2. I was getting Es and Us for all of that time, then I got an A* in coursework and Bs in the exams. It's no excuse, really, so no, I don't.

I would call that moderate depression personally. I suffer from it myself. Universities will look more kindly upon you if you give that as a reason, anyway.
What? I don't understand. You have two Bs at A Level. That's excellent. Now do another and get a B or higher and then go to uni and pursue whatever it is you had in mind. I got ABB (GCSEs AAAABBBBB) went to Warwick and now doing an MA at Cambridge. Don't give up. I would suggest maybe doing the extra A Level alongside paid work in an office or whatever for a couple of years so that you can apply as a mature student; also that way student loans can assess you as financially independent and you'll get more monies (and maybe less tuition fees? Don't know how it works these days.)
Reply 15
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
I would call that moderate depression personally. I suffer from it myself. Universities will look more kindly upon you if you give that as a reason, anyway.

I don't like the idea of cheating my way in. I don't have the grades, nor do I have the ability to keep up at university, if I'm honest. I just wanted suggestions of routes I might take so I don't end up a complete failure.

Besides, I still have it, and I think I always will. It doesn't bode well to admit that upon application. It would just show them that I couldn't pull my weight.
I think your case is simply that you have too high an expectation of yourself, hence why you'd ask whether you're stupid for getting Bs, which aren't bad anyway. Trust me, being academically gifted is a load of rubbish, most if it's down to effort and I'm sure whatever you do in the future if you put some effort in to it you'll go far. And with regards to you saying you'd do something you wouldn't enjoy, don't do that, do something you enjoy, even if it takes you a longer period of time to get to a decent wage. You're still really young compared to most, don't let your doubts dictate the rest of your life.

Is there anything specific you were thinking of doing now?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Wow, your perception of stupidity seems to have been grossly distorted by TSR. No, of course not- you can obviously write and put across points in a perfectly understandable way, and have not-bad (not 'horrendous' or whatever) GCSE/A Level results. Whilst university may not be the place for you (I can't decide that), you are clearly not 'too stupid for employment'.
I don't like the idea of cheating my way in. I don't have the grades, nor do I have the ability to keep up at university, if I'm honest. I just wanted suggestions of routes I might take so I don't end up a complete failure.

Besides, I still have it, and I think I always will. It doesn't bode well to admit that upon application. It would just show them that I couldn't pull my weight.

It wouldn't be cheating though, it's clear to me that you do suffer from moderate depression and self-esteem issues. Academic success is mostly down to hard work, and you proved that with getting good results when you weren't feeling really down.
Reply 19
Original post by AndroidLight
I think your case is simply that you have too high an expectation of yourself, hence why you'd ask whether you're stupid for getting Bs, which aren't bad anyway. Trust me, being academically gifted is a load of rubbish, most if it's down to effort and I'm sure whatever you do in the future if you put some effort in to it you'll go far. And with regards to you saying you'd do something you wouldn't enjoy, don't do that, do something you enjoy, even if it takes you a longer period of time to get to a decent wage. You're still really young compared to most, don't let your doubts dictate the rest of your life.

Is there anything specific you were thinking of doing now?

I think I just have to do something I don't like, tbh. My family struggles financially and I feel awul just sponging off of them. I need a job so I can help out rather than spend lots of time until something I like comes along. Atm I am studying another A Level at home, but I won't get a very good grade. That's not negativity, it's more reality and my learning from what I've been through academically, already. I did have a very well planned course for my life, e.g. upon graduating I'd apply for an internship that allows you to work half the week for an organisation that I'd be happy working at for the rest of my life, and the other half of the week study for an MA. Unfortuantely, a prerequisite is a first. As I say, it's nonegativity, it's just awareness of my abilities (or lack thereof) and what I'm likely to get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending