The Student Room Group

Anti-Street Harassment UK- a new feminist group.

--
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Theres nothing wrong with staring, its harassing, grouping, shouting at which is the problem.
Reply 2
Are they going to criminalise suggestive looks? It's just absurd
Such a joke.
Reply 4
Original post by hareandhound
Such a joke.

You've probably never experienced it then. If you had, you probably wouldn't dismiss the experiences of what must be a large proportion of the female population. It starts when you're about 11, by the way. You can feel extremely threatened by it and some men do get quite aggressive if you try to ignore them - it makes you a stuck-up whore or snobby bitch if you don't want to give some dick your number - as though you ought to be flattered when they yell out across the high street how they'd like to **** you. I don't know many women who would swoon at being humiliated going about their business. And that's the thing, I'm not saying that myself and my chums are so gorgeous we get it every ten minutes, but it can be very degrading and tiresome constantly having to brace yourself against the barrage of comments, attempted gropes and all-out lechery, downright embarassing etc etc. It's so antisocial, I'm on the side of any campaign to try and stop this behaviour.
Reply 5
Original post by Planar
Are they going to criminalise suggestive looks? It's just absurd

There is a difference between suggestive looks and harassment, I'm sure most reasonable people can recognise that.
Original post by Ulo
You've probably never experienced it then. If you had, you probably wouldn't dismiss the experiences of what must be a large proportion of the female population. It starts when you're about 11, by the way. You can feel extremely threatened by it and some men do get quite aggressive if you try to ignore them - it makes you a stuck-up whore or snobby bitch if you don't want to give some dick your number - as though you ought to be flattered when they yell out across the high street how they'd like to **** you. I don't know many women who would swoon at being humiliated going about their business. And that's the thing, I'm not saying that myself and my chums are so gorgeous we get it every ten minutes, but it can be very degrading and tiresome constantly having to brace yourself against the barrage of comments, attempted gropes and all-out lechery, downright embarassing etc etc. It's so antisocial, I'm on the side of any campaign to try and stop this behaviour.

The question is, are your feelings rational. Personally I think not. And you're talking about extremes, any women knows that if a man persistently shouts 'i want to **** you' they can call the police and have him arrested for verbal assult.
Reply 7
Shouting suggestive remarks at a woman in the street should be an arrestable offence (and prison should be an option for repeat offenders), and the woman should be able to sue for compensation. It's humiliating and objectifies women - unacceptable.
Reply 8
Original post by Lewroll

I can't speak for every guy. But when I see a good looking woman walking down the street, I'm going to look. Obviously I won't call out to her, or follow her home, or beat her with my club and drag her back to my cave, but theres no harm in looking, right?

Are groups like these really necessary? Or are women just being sensitive to some harmless staring :sexface: and wolf whistling? Have any TSR girls felt uncomfortable because of this?

The trouble isn't because you look, the trouble is guys who do more than that.

I am 100% sure girls do not mind, just like guy's don't, simply being glanced at or looked at in a nice way with a smile in acknowledgement of someone liking how they look.

And if you are not a woman, i doubt you can comment, i have been with groups of girls walking through town shopping and had guys whistle or shout at them, and i have seen in their faces just how embarrassed and freaked it can make them feel.
Reply 9
GOOD

Judging by all the disgusting TSR thread lately women need as much protection as they can get.

being a sick pervert should be a criminal offence
(edited 13 years ago)
Okay touching or rude comments are out of line but good luck stopping people looking hahaha
A woman wearing a minidress never means she deserves rape or to get her ass grabbed, but if you've got it all hanging out- you can't get pissed off when people simply look at you or shout 'how's it goin' darlin'?' from across the road. And if you do get pissed off- you should have put some bloody tights on.
Reply 12
Original post by hareandhound
The question is, are your feelings rational. Personally I think not. And you're talking about extremes, any women knows that if a man persistently shouts 'i want to **** you' they can call the police and have him arrested for verbal assult.

I don't see what's irrational about disliking being accosted on the street? And supposing you are a rational person, do you think this sort of thing should be allowed to continue unchecked? Is it reasonable and fair that so many women should be subjected to this is? It does make places horrible to visit, surely it should be classed as anti-social behaviour.
Reply 13
And for all you gropers in training who think your lecherous rights are being infringed......I suggest trying a US prison and being objectified for your bumhole by men twice your size. See if you still like it THEN
Reply 14
Original post by lechaton-x
A woman wearing a minidress never means she deserves rape or to get her ass grabbed, but if you've got it all hanging out- you can't get pissed off when people simply look at you or shout 'how's it goin' darlin'?' from across the road. And if you do get pissed off- you should have put some bloody tights on.

In reality though, it rarely depends on what you're wearing, you just need to be recognised as a woman.
Original post by Miu-Miu
And for all you gropers in training who think your lecherous rights are being infringed......I suggest trying a US prison and being objectified for your bumhole by men twice your size. See if you still like it THEN

why the same sex that isn't an identical comparison....
Reply 16
i've had numerous occassions when girls have literally shouted at me from within a car or across the street. once i had a a group of girls follow me in my car, hooting their horn for me to pull over. girls can get aggressive too. especially when there's a pack of them.

it's a turn off. subtlety works wonders.
Reply 17
I have no idea why some in this thread are talking about men 'looking' at women... this is about harassment, not just looking. And if being shouted at in the street makes a lot of women uncomfortable (which it does, me included), then it's unacceptable.
Whether you think women are being oversensitive or shouldn't be offended by it or whatever, is entirely irrelevant because the fact is, we are made uncomfortable by it.

What I don't understand is- what's the point? Do you think shouting 'nice arse, love' at a random stranger has ever got her into bed?
Original post by justlol
i've had numerous occassions when girls have literally shouted at me from within a car or across the street. once i had a a group of girls follow me in my car, hooting their horn for me to pull over. girls can get aggressive too. especially when there's a pack of them.

it's a turn off. subtlety works wonders.

If you want to see this all the time go Newcastle, the women are crazy gropers there.
Reply 19
Original post by Miu-Miu

I'm pretty sure someone shouting their admiration for you and being anally raped aren;t the same things.

Yes we haven't experienced it from your point of view, but you haven't had it from our point of view either. Girls are so used to attention because you get it just by stepping outside.

Imagine being a 30-40 year old man who's single and no matter how many bars and clubs and whatever he went to, he couldn't find a single girl that liked him back. How crushing would that feel. No wonder male dominated proffessions like builders get so many guys who shout stuff, no wonder after a certain while of nothingness you just say alright screw this I'm getting nowhere if I see someone I think is fit I'll let them know.

Quick Reply

Latest