The Student Room Group

Studying in Sweden.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I've applied for a master's in several Swedish universities, got accepted by Gothenburg University. I can't give you much advice as I've not started my course yet, but I think applications for Swedish universities are handled centrally through this website
https://www.studera.nu/

Also, there was a thread on this forum about studying in Sweden, you can find it here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1154001
Reply 81
Hi,

I am a native Swedish person myself and I have studied at several Swedish universities. If you have any questions at all, just ask me. I work at Uppsala University at the moment.
Reply 82
Original post by Donosti
I got accepted by Gothenburg. Can't wait to go there, although sorting my accommodation will probably be a pain in the ass

Have you started to look for accommodation yet? Signed up for them and so on? It's NOT easy to find a place to stay in Gothenburg.
Reply 83
Original post by Bloody_Franz
Hi to everybody,

sorry to re-open this thread, but I just registered to this forum and I found it very interesting, so I'm writing for asking further information!

I will get my Master Level Diploma in Engineering in March 2011 (University of Bologna, Italy), and I'm looking for a PhD to start a research career. I postulated for a PhD position at the Chalmers University of Goterborg, on a subject I found very interesting

What I'm asking here is:

1) Is The Chalmers University of Technology a good University? I don't really know how to get information about that. I know it doesn't sound good, but I don't really want to spend 3 years or more for a PhD in a completely unknown university. I'll need to write on my CV where I studied, and I would like to improve my current low-level CV!

2) How is life in Goteborg? I'm not looking for a spanish-like town with all-time parties, but since there is the possibility for me to spend there 3 years of my life, I wouldn't like to spend every night playing World on Warcraft because there is nothing better to do! (Please, do not misunderstand my words: I'm not saying life in Sweden is boring, I have no information at all about that, that is why I am asking!)

Thanks a lot for your answers! I'm pretty worried for my future, I hope that someone of you will be able to help me make a good choice!!

Yes, Chalmers is the Swedish version of Imperial. People consider it a very good university of engineers and those kind of people.

Göteborg is a big city (3rd largest), very friendly and social, a lot of stuff going on. Probably the best city in Swedish, tbh.
Reply 84
Original post by synvilla
Hi,

I am a native Swedish person myself and I have studied at several Swedish universities. If you have any questions at all, just ask me. I work at Uppsala University at the moment.

do you know if there are many degrees taught in english as my written swedish is not up to the standard which it would need to be for university studies
Reply 85
Original post by Larsson
do you know if there are many degrees taught in english as my written swedish is not up to the standard which it would need to be for university studies

Almost all master programmes are taught in English. In undergraduate level, it's mostly natural sciences that offer programmes. There are however always some English-taught courses/classes at all departments at all universities.
Reply 86
Almost all master programmes are taught in English. In undergraduate level, it's mostly natural sciences that offer programmes. There are however always some English-taught courses/classes at all departments at all universities.

ah right, i find the course/programme system a bit strange because when i was looking through the malardalen booklet i only saw different courses which were only a few weeks long... i think i would rather apply for a full degree set out for 3/4 years which some option blocks
Reply 87
Have you started to look for accommodation yet? Signed up for them and so on? It's NOT easy to find a place to stay in Gothenburg.

No, I haven't. I'll start looking for accommodation tomorrow :wink:
Reply 88
Original post by Larsson
ah right, i find the course/programme system a bit strange because when i was looking through the malardalen booklet i only saw different courses which were only a few weeks long... i think i would rather apply for a full degree set out for 3/4 years which some option blocks

In Sweden we often build our own degree by mixing courses together. I think it's a lovely system.
Reply 89
Original post by Donosti
No, I haven't. I'll start looking for accommodation tomorrow :wink:

The average waiting time is probably at least 2-3 years for a dorm room and about 4-5 for a flat. But sign up anyway, you might wanna stay there after graduation and you'll be happy you've listed up.

And there is probably a lot of possibilities to get a room in someone else's flat this fall if you look for it and try to be outgoing and forward.
Reply 90
The average waiting time is probably at least 2-3 years for a dorm room and about 4-5 for a flat. But sign up anyway, you might wanna stay there after graduation and you'll be happy you've listed up.

And there is probably a lot of possibilities to get a room in someone else's flat this fall if you look for it and try to be outgoing and forward.

Thanks a lot for your help, synvilla.

From what I understand, Swedish universities normally don't offer their own accommodation. Does that mean that I have to either get a room in someone else's flat o rent my own flat, or am I missing something?
Reply 91
Original post by Donosti
Thanks a lot for your help, synvilla.

From what I understand, Swedish universities normally don't offer their own accommodation. Does that mean that I have to either get a room in someone else's flat o rent my own flat, or am I missing something?

Yes, it's private companies who have student accommodation. Only students may rent it, but it's not the universities who own them. You can sign up for it without being a student, but can only sign lease if you're a student.

But your best option at the moment is to share flat with someone who has been listed long enough.
Reply 92
Gothenburg is the SECOND largest city in Sweden.

It is a fantastic city to live in. However, it is very difficult to find accommodation so make sure you start looking in time.

Yes, Chalmers is the Swedish version of Imperial. People consider it a very good university of engineers and those kind of people.

Göteborg is a big city (3rd largest), very friendly and social, a lot of stuff going on. Probably the best city in Swedish, tbh.
Reply 93
Original post by Apollonia
Gothenburg is the SECOND largest city in Sweden.

It is a fantastic city to live in. However, it is very difficult to find accommodation so make sure you start looking in time.

Just a question, since you seem to have experience in this.

I've been checking this website which is apparently the main one for student accommodation in Göteborg
http://www.sgsstudentbostader.se/en

However, I won't be starting my masters degree until September. So, if I apply for a room/house now, and I get accepted, will I have to start paying for it now, or will the contract start in September? :s-smilie:
Reply 94
What you do is to register and then keep en eye out for flats that are available around August/September, only apply for those. You will find that most flats will be available for August/September, but there may be some with an earlier move-in date. In some cities, you actually don't have to pay rent during the summer months however I am unsure if this applies in Gothenburg. I would email and ask.

Most students find apartments through the sites listed below, however, I believe most of them are in Swedish.
Do you have any Swedes at your current university? Perhaps they could help you register/search.

What kind of flat are you looking for? What is your budget?

http://www.blocket.se/goteborg?ca=15
http://andrahand.se/
Reply 95
Original post by Apollonia
What you do is to register and then keep en eye out for flats that are available around August/September, only apply for those. You will find that most flats will be available for August/September, but there may be some with an earlier move-in date. In some cities, you actually don't have to pay rent during the summer months however I am unsure if this applies in Gothenburg. I would email and ask.

Most students find apartments through the sites listed below, however, I believe most of them are in Swedish.
Do you have any Swedes at your current university? Perhaps they could help you register/search.

What kind of flat are you looking for? What is your budget?

http://www.blocket.se/goteborg?ca=15
http://andrahand.se/

Thanks!
To be honest, I still haven't looked into this too much. I'll send my application to studentbostäder tomorrow. Sadly I don't know any Swedes at my current universities, but that's a pretty good idea.

I don't really know what I'm looking for. I wouldn't mind getting a room in a corridor, as that'd help me meet loads of people.

I'm not sure about my budget either. I'll get a grant from the Spanish government, but I need to get an idea of the costs of living in Sweden before I can set myself a budget. Is 3000 KR/month enough for decent accommodation?
Reply 96
It depends on where in Gothenburg you'd like to live and how.
If you want to be in the centre, even student accommodation is quite expensive.
However, if you are willing to live outside of the centre and/or share a flat with others you can definitely find accommodation for around 3000 kr.

Here are some links for flatshares:

ENGLISH:
http://se.easyroommate.com/vastra-gotalands-lan/goteborg-centralt-flatshare
http://www.expat-blog.com/en/classifieds/europe/sweden/gothenburg/flat-share-house-share.html

SWEDISH:
http://www.delaboende.nu/bostad-uthyres/g%C3%B6teborg/v%C3%A4lj-omr%C3%A5den.htm

Quick Reply

Latest