The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4200
Original post by Motatious
I'm from Ireland, so it's not a factor in the slightest. Now I'm from Dublin, so I'm pretty used to living in a city but I'm fairly sure I could adapt, so that's not a bother. I'm just not so savvy on British Uni's as I should be for this decision...

I'm afraid I can't help a lot, as Aberdeen is too far away for me. They are pretty equal on league tables, so just pick which one looks the best. Have you visited them? You could go even if it's not an open day, maybe book a campus tour or even just show up to get a feel for the place?
Reply 4201
hi law students i recently put on a cricket thread that if they give me rep i will love them and consequently lost six points...i was hoping my own kind (no one from ex-polytechs please) would give me some posative rep as im on like 5 points left :frown: I will love you alot...also after this incident no one takes me seriously...if your from exeter or going to exeter for law def rep me :u:
Reply 4202
ohhh no no no this is not what i needed im down to four now ....you are all clearly from rubbish unis :u:
Reply 4203
Original post by daisycharlo
I only got 17 on LNAT which kinda explains it, such a dilemma now though as QMUL have said they cant offer me accommodation as I live within commuting distance - bs imo as it easily takes nearly 2 hours :frown:

I would definitely firm Bristol then because I think accommodation makes a big difference to your Uni experience and you don't want a 2 hour commute to Uni everyday, that's ridiculous and will drain your student life, because as friends go out you will have to go home. Like many people on here have stressed QM may have a good law department but Bristol has the prestige.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 4204
Original post by sarahcav
Rejection from Warwick
So I'm left with offers from Lancaster and Exeter and I don't know which one to firm???

I'd take Exeter. Beautiful location, and I get the impression it's respected among professionals. I'm wondering if there's anything in particular going for Lancaster? I enjoyed Exeter on the open day myself.
Reply 4205
Original post by D.V.Evans
Hi, what are your GCSE grades ?

11 A*s. Why? :P
Reply 4206
Offer from Warwick :biggrin:

Time to choose now, Warwick, Durham or Nottingham? It's going to be a toughie.
Original post by adam0311
What do you intend to do? Consulting, banking, etc? That would help narrow the selection.

I'm not sure yet, possibly journalism. I'm hoping that throughout the next few years I'll get a better idea of what exactly it is I would like to do and so hopefully the college and experience I have will help me.
Original post by Vinchenko
Well, that would make more sense! Though it is extremely unusual for someone to go onto a law course without any intention of pursuing it further; though only around 50% do at the end of it, well over 90% have some intention of pursuing it when they start. Anyway, Aberdeen is a much older and prettier university (assuming you're not a fan of brutalist architecture) and it's also much closer in to the city centre, whereas Warwick was built in the 1960s (as opposed to the 1490s) and is, quite honestly, in a field near Coventry (which isn't exactly the nicest city in the world). That said, they both have very good academic reputations, but Warwick is much closer to London and other major cities whereas Aberdeen is very far North in Scotland and quite a trek from anywhere. Also bear in mind it will be VERY cold in Aberdeen compared to Warwick, so if the weather matters...! Anyway, that's pretty much the sum of my views on the subject, for what it's worth, and it really depends on what you're looking for since they are such VASTLY different places! (city centre/ancient/far north compared to out of town/modern/well connected)

Thanks, that's actually been a great help. It's not that unusual in Ireland to get an undergraduate degree as a sort of 'base' degree. Like I do plan on getting more qualifications after law but for the moment a law degree interests me so I'll do that and we'll see what comes after... You assumed correctly and unfortunate architecture is a pet peeve of mine... However -3 C in April doesn't really float my boat either... I'll have to firm one anyway, probably Aberdeen, and I'll try visit in the summer.. when it will hopefully be above 8 degrees.
Reply 4209
Original post by riever86
I'd take Exeter. Beautiful location, and I get the impression it's respected among professionals. I'm wondering if there's anything in particular going for Lancaster? I enjoyed Exeter on the open day myself.

True :smile: although I just thought about applying to York through UCAS extra - good or bad idea??
Original post by Motatious
I'm not sure yet, possibly journalism. I'm hoping that throughout the next few years I'll get a better idea of what exactly it is I would like to do and so hopefully the college and experience I have will help me.

I would be tempted to go with Warwick if I were you, especially since you aren't sure what you want to do yet. Warwick would give you quite a few more oppurtunities/open up more doors.
True :smile: although I just thought about applying to York through UCAS extra - good or bad idea??

Sarah - Exeter is a lovely place, and I believe is linked to the Uni of Plymouth's Law Faculty where I hope to do my LPC in a few years time... so yeah, go for Exeter, forget York!

Guys, out of curiosity, would you welcome a non-full time Uni LLB student into the TSR law forums in the forthcoming academic year....? I've already got a BEng(Hons) and am out in the bad old word of work, but fancy a massive career change and so am embarking on the Uni of London's International Programme LLB in Sep. It's over 3 years and takes into account your first degree, and as it ticks all the boxes its accepted by the SRA as a QLD :-) Anyone....?
Reply 4212
Original post by dinglemeister
Sarah - Exeter is a lovely place, and I believe is linked to the Uni of Plymouth's Law Faculty where I hope to do my LPC in a few years time... so yeah, go for Exeter, forget York!

Guys, out of curiosity, would you welcome a non-full time Uni LLB student into the TSR law forums in the forthcoming academic year....? I've already got a BEng(Hons) and am out in the bad old word of work, but fancy a massive career change and so am embarking on the Uni of London's International Programme LLB in Sep. It's over 3 years and takes into account your first degree, and as it ticks all the boxes its accepted by the SRA as a QLD :-) Anyone....?

YAY!!! welcome the world is short on one more potential lawyer so you will fit right in...which college of UoL are you with???sounds like....Birckbeck? :smile:
Reply 4213

Lol! Thanks for your advice... :smile: my only issue is that Exeter is about 5 hours away and I know I should be taking the actual university into account, but I feel that the distance should be a factor in my decision.

Ohh I don't know what to do!! :confused: would you consider Lancaster to be a definite no then??
Lol! Thanks for your advice... :smile: my only issue is that Exeter is about 5 hours away and I know I should be taking the actual university into account, but I feel that the distance should be a factor in my decision.

Ohh I don't know what to do!! :confused: would you consider Lancaster to be a definite no then??

Oh right, yeah 5 hours is a bit of a trek isn't it? Distance is definitely a factor, as a ten hour round trip will get to be a bit of a pain!

Have you visited both....? Definitely don't rule out Lancaster just based on my slightly biased (devonshire dumpling!) opinion though! hehe
Reply 4215
Oh right, yeah 5 hours is a bit of a trek isn't it? Distance is definitely a factor, as a ten hour round trip will get to be a bit of a pain!

Have you visited both....? Definitely don't rule out Lancaster just based on my slightly biased (devonshire dumpling!) opinion though! hehe

Yup I've visited both! First impressions were probably a bit skewed as I had just spent 5 hours on a train plus it was raining when I visited Exeter!
Reply 4216

I can't see how York would be an advantage, as Exeter has the more established law school. I certainly see Exeter on lists of respected institutions, compiled by practitioners, such as this one on TSR. Personally, I applied there because of this, plus the fact it was in a very nice (IMO) location. I would have been very happy to go there.

But, all these things are really down to preference, all depends what you're looking for! Plus, as has been pointed out, the vast majority (including myself) on this thread haven't graduated, so it's all down to hearsay and the advice of friends etc. I reckon I'm in a decent position to know, living in London and having a few acquaintances in the City, but it's all opinion, and probably the thought processes we're going through as we make these decisions. I'm sure it'll work out, either way.
Reply 4217
Got a rejection from Bristol today, gutted as it was my first choice but life moves on!

My offers were

Birmingham - Law - AAA
Queen Mary - Law and Politics - AAB

I'm starting to think after the 3 rejections that it was both the lnat and not quite good enough AS scores, on the upside I am looking forward to university!

My only problem is I live in Birmingham and would prefer to study away from home, and I am in a dilemma as to which of the 2 options above are for the best? I am aware I will have to complete a conversion course for Law and Politics for 1 year but I feel I will have the best experience if I move away from Birmingham to London to study.

I was wondering is it possible for Queen Mary to allow me to do Law instead of Law and Politics if I get AAA overall? I should probably call them up but don't want to sound like an idiot :P.
Reply 4218
Original post by Journal
Got a rejection from Bristol today, gutted as it was my first choice but life moves on!

My offers were

Birmingham - Law - AAA
Queen Mary - Law and Politics - AAB

I'm starting to think after the 3 rejections that it was both the lnat and not quite good enough AS scores, on the upside I am looking forward to university!

My only problem is I live in Birmingham and would prefer to study away from home, and I am in a dilemma as to which of the 2 options above are for the best? I am aware I will have to complete a conversion course for Law and Politics for 1 year but I feel I will have the best experience if I move away from Birmingham to London to study.

I was wondering is it possible for Queen Mary to allow me to do Law instead of Law and Politics if I get AAA overall? I should probably call them up but don't want to sound like an idiot :P.

at the start of every year some students will drop out of the straight law...possibly providing the opp to take up a place but they are likely to be flexible in any circumstance...there is a very fine line between an A and a B
Reply 4219
Original post by lionboy
at the start of every year some students will drop out of the straight law...possibly providing the opp to take up a place but they are likely to be flexible in any circumstance...there is a very fine line between an A and a B

Thanks for the info! Sounds great, so I should make an enquiry about this when I first start, or should I be getting into contact with the university earlier?

I think it would be best to switch to straight law if possible rather than do a conversion course at the end of law and politics.

Latest

Trending

Trending