The Student Room Group

Anti-Street Harassment UK- a new feminist group.

Scroll to see replies

Good. If I was a woman and was harassed in the street on a daily basis, I'd feel pretty damn uncomfortable. It's all part of the continuum of women being treated as second class citizens, and whilst it may not seem like a terrible soul-destroying thing by itself, it's the fact that it normalizes the next step in the continuum which is the issue, and so on and so forth.
Reply 81
Original post by green chica
O.o you perplex me, and not in a good way. "men usually aren't violent to woman"?! oh, dear boy, you have a lot to learn about the world.

He means the majority of men would never dream of harming a woman. A lot of feminists wrongly treat all men with suspicion because they might be a rapist or will physically assault them.
Reply 82
Original post by green chica
O.o you perplex me, and not in a good way. "men usually aren't violent to woman"?! oh, dear boy, you have a lot to learn about the world.

"Men are more likely to be the victims of violent crime than women. Over 5 per cent of men and just under 3 per cent of women aged 16 and over in England and Wales were the victims of some sort of violence in the twelve months prior to interview in 2002/03. Men and women aged 16 to 24 are the most at risk age group. Around 15 per cent of men and 7 per cent women of this age reporting that some sort of violence had been used against them.

Domestic violence is the only category of violence where the risks for women are higher than for men. Risks of stranger violence remain substantially greater for men than for women, with men four times more likely than women to suffer this form of attack.

Despite being more likely to be the victim of crime, men are less worried than women about most types of crime. Women are between two and three times more likely than men to be very worried about being mugged or physically attacked and five times more likely than men to be very worried about being raped. Roughly equal proportions of men and women are worried about theft of, or from, a car."

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=442

And oh look women are more worried about being attacked according to this. Maybe its the feminist culture of OMG ALL men are absolute pigs who will mercilessly beat and rape you if they even catch a glimpse of you.

As for walking through a dark neighbourhood past a group of chavs, those statistics say I am more likely to be attacked than you. Because of the reason I stated before, even the thuggiest chavs will have some sort of moral issues with hitting a girl, no such issues for hitting guys they're free to do whatever they want and they frequently do.
Reply 83
Original post by Jonty99
See, that's what annoys me about these feminist groups.

You want one standard for men shouting things at women, and another standard for women shouting things at men.

So you are more intimidated by a group of girls than a group of men as well then?

The thing is, it doesn't just happen if you dress provocatively. A lot of people on this forum have said that if a girl dresses like this then she is asking for it. For God's sake I walked around in an oversized man's puffa jacket and jeans this winter and still had to deal with it. Should I not walk around alone for this reason?

The thing is, when it comes to sex there are different standards for men and women - that's obvious, but it doesn't mean anyone should get shouted at like this. Tell me guys, I want to know do you actually like it when women shout at you in the street, 'nice arse'? From what I can gather from this thread, you do but the majority of women just don't enjoy it and I am sure many of them are not "asking for it" either.

From my point of view, this organisation is wonderful. I, and I am sure most other women are fed up of feeling threatened - because that is what this kind of harassment is, yet men clearly don't see it this way which is why it continues.
Reply 84
Original post by Lewroll
In my opinion, groping and harassment are bad, and women shouldn't have to feel threatened walking down the street.

But consider this for a moment, it may not be the act of groping which women dislike, could it possibly be the person doing the groping?

Nobody wants to be harassed by this guy

Spoiler

But if it was a good looking guy, would you feel the same

Spoiler

You get the idea. Attractive vs unattractive. Now I'm not saying this justifies those mens behaviour, what I am suggesting that perhaps it isn't the act itself which women dislike, rather, the person who is calling to them.

Thoughts?

This is already well known. I will find it amusing if someone tries to refute it though.

Another interesting point:

Girls want to be exempt from being stared at in the street. Builder leers and its harassment.

But this guy can stare at you and watch you while you sleep and suddenly its romantic

Spoiler

Reply 85
Original post by insoms
This is already well known. I will find it amusing if someone tries to refute it though.

Another interesting point:

Girls want to be exempt from being stared at in the street. Builder leers and its harassment.

But this guy can stare at you and watch you while you sleep and suddenly its romantic

Spoiler

He can also bite the **** out of you and possibly kill you if you had sex together, i doubt this applies in real life.
Original post by insoms
"Men are more likely to be the victims of violent crime than women. Over 5 per cent of men and just under 3 per cent of women aged 16 and over in England and Wales were the victims of some sort of violence in the twelve months prior to interview in 2002/03. Men and women aged 16 to 24 are the most at risk age group. Around 15 per cent of men and 7 per cent women of this age reporting that some sort of violence had been used against them.

Domestic violence is the only category of violence where the risks for women are higher than for men. Risks of stranger violence remain substantially greater for men than for women, with men four times more likely than women to suffer this form of attack.

Despite being more likely to be the victim of crime, men are less worried than women about most types of crime. Women are between two and three times more likely than men to be very worried about being mugged or physically attacked and five times more likely than men to be very worried about being raped. Roughly equal proportions of men and women are worried about theft of, or from, a car."

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=442

And oh look women are more worried about being attacked according to this. Maybe its the feminist culture of OMG ALL men are absolute pigs who will mercilessly beat and rape you if they even catch a glimpse of you.

As for walking through a dark neighbourhood past a group of chavs, those statistics say I am more likely to be attacked than you. Because of the reason I stated before, even the thuggiest chavs will have some sort of moral issues with hitting a girl, no such issues for hitting guys they're free to do whatever they want and they frequently do.

So? Men are almost exclusively attacked by other men. That doesn't make anyone's worries less justified. Neither should the fact that men keep relatively quiet about their fears be lauded. If guys have as many troubles as they say they do then they should be the most supportive of things like this. This whole culture of "I'm too tough to care or show any emotion" that has been perpetuated by men in the past and in your post is the one of the main reasons young males are the most likely to commit suicide. So many young boys would kill to have someone to talk and relate to after suffering in silence for years but they can't for fear of being mocked. Only 1 in 5 British men will go to the doctors after becoming seriously ill, preferring instead to hide it or rely on self-diagnosis sites to cope. It has to end. There is nothing to ridicule about support groups. It is completely healthy and within women's nature to rely on social communication and networks to heal emotionally.When a girl gets dumped, has an argument with her boyfriend or suffers from anything in general, she'll immediately seek her friends. When anything bad happens to a guy, he has to shrug and is pressured into pretending nothing is wrong.
I tend to agree with the formation of an anti harassment group for women on the principle that no one should have to put up with it and if it raises awareness on the issue then that can only be a good thing.

However, one has to be very careful as to how we define harassment. Certain feminist types may be outraged at the thought of a man approaching them in the street and asking for their number, they may see this as harassment even if the guy leaves immediately after being rebuffed.

Social interractions are necessarily complex, we aren't all experts at body language and putting others at ease thus what some guys/and girls for that matter, may approach someone who doesn't want to be approached because they have simply misread the signals. These kind of mistakes are always going to happen and no one should be jumping on the bandwagon screaming about harassment re: some innocent person misreading the signs.

Calculated predatory behaviour by certain males does need to be cracked down on. Unfortunately some guys seem to think it is their god given right to approach any woman at any time and expect her to gratefully enjoy his company.

I recently had the misfortune of being at a bus stop late one night with a (admittedly sluttily) dressed young lady waiting for the night bus. A guy walks past, looks her up and down and carries on his way. A few minutes later he comes back introduces himself and goes for her number. The guy was in his mid twenties and the girl couldn't have been more than 16, it's late at night, she's on her own and is giving him nothing. She practically ignores him, but he still persists, all the while I'm feeling uncomfortable thinking I may have to step in, but he finally gets the message and leaves.

Now I am sure he only approached her as he saw the way she was dressed and thought she was easy, despite the evidence to the contrary that she was offering in conversation to him. Women in these situations should be able to be supported by having an organisation to talk to, if someone is making you feel uncomfortable then one should be able to tell them to leave you alone and this should be good enough.
Some guys need to realise that not every girl wants to be approached and when they give off the impression that they don't want to (politely mind!) then they should just be left alone.
Reply 88
I like how that women's group is like OMFG WOMEN OBJECTIFIED BECAUSE OF VERBAL ABUSE!!!111!! Yet they are freely perpetuating the objectification of men as slobbering macho rapist idiots motivated entirely by uncontrollable sexual urges.
There are far worse things to worry about than what overwhelmingly amounts to some verbal abuse, which is an unfortunate part of life anyway.
Dress like a slut, get treated like a slut. Dress with some self respect, get treated with respect.
Reply 90
There is no legitimacy to shouting stuff at a woman in the street, it's intimidating, objectifying, ungentlemanly and indecent.

Still, God only knows how they're supposed to "share photos" of their harassers :lolwut:
Original post by Arekkusu
There is no legitimacy to shouting stuff at a woman in the street, it's intimidating, objectifying, ungentlemanly and indecent.

Still, God only knows how they're supposed to "share photos" of their harassers :lolwut:

Everyone has a mobile phone these days that can take pictures. Presumably if a man makes lewd remarks you're supposed to take his picture and then share it so others know to avoid him. Or something like that.
Original post by Miu-Miu
And for all you gropers in training who think your lecherous rights are being infringed......I suggest trying a US prison and being objectified for your bumhole by men twice your size. See if you still like it THEN

I like it.

It's ok to look, but shouting and groping are not acceptable. Behave like a mature adult.
Original post by insoms

Imagine being a 30-40 year old man who's single and no matter how many bars and clubs and whatever he went to, he couldn't find a single girl that liked him back. How crushing would that feel. .

So that makes it ok to harass women?

If you can't get what you want, take it?
Original post by insoms
I'm not defending groping. But remarks?? Women have all the power in forming relationships, if a man is unattractive, he will be incredibly lonely. So these men get desperate. Then women dressing provocatively is like dangling meat infront of a hungry bears face, then getting suprised when it tries to take it.

So women should be harassed because the man hasn't found a lover? Because he is desperate? Not all women dress provocatively and they still get harassed.

Your analogy of likening a woman's body to a piece of meat is disgusting.

Take it? So it's ok for men to fulfill their sexual needs by just taking what they want? Doesn't that sound kinda like rape?

If you're desperate/lonely, use your hand or pay a prostitute.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by Mujeriego
So? Men are almost exclusively attacked by other men. That doesn't make anyone's worries less justified. Neither should the fact that men keep relatively quiet about their fears be lauded. If guys have as many troubles as they say they do then they should be the most supportive of things like this. This whole culture of "I'm too tough to care or show any emotion" that has been perpetuated by men in the past and in your post is the one of the main reasons young males are the most likely to commit suicide. So many young boys would kill to have someone to talk and relate to after suffering in silence for years but they can't for fear of being mocked. Only 1 in 5 British men will go to the doctors after becoming seriously ill, preferring instead to hide it or rely on self-diagnosis sites to cope. It has to end. There is nothing to ridicule about support groups. It is completely healthy and within women's nature to rely on social communication and networks to heal emotionally.When a girl gets dumped, has an argument with her boyfriend or suffers from anything in general, she'll immediately seek her friends. When anything bad happens to a guy, he has to shrug and is pressured into pretending nothing is wrong.

Which is why it's essential to have female friends.
Original post by Lewroll
In my opinion, groping and harassment are bad, and women shouldn't have to feel threatened walking down the street.

Thoughts?

Interesting post, but personally I'd be freaked out even if it was a good looking guy harassing me.
Reply 98
Soon our women will be dressing head to toe in a sheet and before you know it we'll have Shariah Law, marriage rape, et al. Is that really what women want?
Original post by Mujeriego

Yup. Men on men violence is another issue. If it's a problem, do something about it...like start a group.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending