The Student Room Group

Computer Science without Physics?

I didn't opt for Physics at A Levels. Can I do Computer Science without knowledge of Physics?
Reply 1
Original post by manutdfan145
I didn't opt for Physics at A Levels. Can I do Computer Science without knowledge of Physics?

As far as I know. It's on a par with Physics in that you'll need strong mathematical capabilities, but Physics is a different subject.
Reply 2
Yes, it's not a problem.
Reply 3

As long as you have Maths you will be fine
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles
As far as I know. It's on a par with Physics in that you'll need strong mathematical capabilities, but Physics is a different subject.

I'm fairly handy at Maths and got an A in A Level Maths. I'm confident I'll do well provided its Pure Math.

So basically at most unis theres no specific module that requires some knowledge of Physics?
I wouldn't imagine you would need it, I do physics at degree and I'm pretty sure I would have been capable without doing physics at A-Level:tongue: Maths and particularly mechanics are so much more relevant.
Reply 6
Original post by doggyfizzel
I wouldn't imagine you would need it, I do physics at degree and I'm pretty sure I would have been capable without doing physics at A-Level:tongue: Maths and particularly mechanics are so much more relevant.

The mechanics paper in A Levels is staggeringly easy, even for someone like me who hasn't ever studied Physics. I think I got full marks in that particular paper.
Reply 7
Shouldn't need it at all in my opinion. That said universities are wierd in the stuff they ask for, try just ringing a few up and asking - quickest way to get real info *assuming it doesnt just say on the website, they can be very vuage though*
Reply 8
I'm fairly handy at Maths and got an A in A Level Maths. I'm confident I'll do well provided its Pure Math.

So basically at most unis theres no specific module that requires some knowledge of Physics?

I'm doing a CS degree, and I only have a single AS level (Electronics). Don't worry.
Reply 9
Also on an unrelated note, I am on a gap year and I need suggestions on what I can do in these few months to prepare for a CS degree. I'll admit to not knowing how to program, nor do I have any practical experience of any sort of computer work. Basically my most impressive ability with the computer at this time is knowing how to touch type. Any websites out there for a beginner such as myself to help me gain some basic knowledge of computing?
Reply 10
Also on an unrelated note, I am on a gap year and I need suggestions on what I can do in these few months to prepare for a CS degree. I'll admit to not knowing how to program, nor do I have any practical experience of any sort of computer work. Basically my most impressive ability with the computer at this time is knowing how to touch type. Any websites out there for a beginner such as myself to help me gain some basic knowledge of computing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8&playnext=1&list=PL84A56BC7F4A1F852

Is really helpful in teaching you java :smile:
As already said, you'll be fine. I did do Physics at A level, but I would not be at a disadvantage in my course if I didn't do it.

You'll get mixed views on this. I have heard people say not to program before uni so you don't pick up bad habits, and I have also heard others saying get as much experience as you can. Personally, I think some programming experience is a good thing, and certainly some knowledge
Reply 12
Original post by WelshBluebird
I have heard people say not to program before uni so you don't pick up bad habits

Yeah, I've heard that as well but just don't have clue where it was from :/
Original post by FinalMH
Yeah, I've heard that as well but just don't have clue where it was from :/

It said that in the video you linked earlier.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Epic Tristan
It said that in the video you linked earlier.

LOL thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending