The Student Room Group

do you think medicine admission will calm down or become less COMPETITIVE in future?

4 years from now?

what do you think because i might have to apply for grad entry now after not getting a single interview during my gap year (in other words last yr was better and my appl was somewhat worse ps wise (a bit higher ukcat last yr)).

tldr:TITLE!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reapply. Don't use GEM as a back-up option because it isn't. It is far, far, far more competitive than normal entry medicine and neither look like becoming less competitive in the foreseeable future.
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
Reapply. Don't use GEM as a back-up option because it isn't. It is far, far, far more competitive than normal entry medicine and neither look like becoming less competitive in the foreseeable future.

another gap year?
i think medicine will become less comp or settle down once the recession is over...
Reply 3
reapply dude
Reply 4
Original post by alia
another gap year?
i think medicine will become less comp or settle down once the recession is over...

I very much doubt the increase in applicants over the past x years is because of 17 year olds thinking "I need a stable job through this recession!"
Reply 5
Original post by alia
another gap year?

Think again. Medicine has always been hugely competitive; the recession has nothing to do with it. And graduate medicine has always been harder to get into than undergrad medicine, because it's a harder course!
Original post by Beska
I very much doubt the increase in applicants over the past x years is because of 17 year olds thinking "I need a stable job through this recession!"

This.

You might end up with more people trying to study courses like law and medicine as a result of tuition fee rises. If I was forced to pay £9000 a year for a course (not such an extreme it appears), I'd rather it be a course leading to a pretty much guaranteed job at the end of it. Some would say that argument is a bit tenuous, but there may well be shift in the type of courses people will do, with courses such as medicine, engineering, accountancy etc seeing increases at the expense of arts and science.
Reply 7
Getting in as a graduate isn't just more COMPETITIVE, it comes with a host of other woes too, not least financial issues.
Reply 8
Original post by beska
reapply. Don't use gem as a back-up option because it isn't. It is far, far, far more competitive than normal entry medicine and neither look like becoming less competitive in the foreseeable future.

Original post by alia
another gap year?
I think medicine will become less comp or settle down once the recession is over...

Original post by toosexyformystethoscope
this.

You might end up with more people trying to study courses like law and medicine as a result of tuition fee rises. If i was forced to pay £9000 a year for a course (not such an extreme it appears), i'd rather it be a course leading to a pretty much guaranteed job at the end of it. Some would say that argument is a bit tenuous, but there may well be shift in the type of courses people will do, with courses such as medicine, engineering, accountancy etc seeing increases at the expense of arts and science.

Original post by kinkerz
getting in as a graduate isn't just more competitive, it comes with a host of other woes too, not least financial issues.

guys listen: Im not taking another ****ing gap year......gem cant be as competitive personally because i could only apply to two unis as i didnt have bio just chem,physics,maths
Reply 9
Original post by alia
guys listen: Im not taking another ****ing gap year......gem cant be as competitive personally because i could only apply to two unis as i didnt have bio just chem,physics,maths

Well why didn't you mention that in the first place.

Also: you don't want to take a gap year? Don't. But don't try to manufacture contrived reasons that GEM may become less competitive.
Why don't you apply to the foundation year?
I think it will. I'm only in year 10 atm but knowbody in my school wants to do medicine. I think History will pick up. Everyone in my year loves it! I want to do Computor Science though.
£45,000 in tuition fees alone.
I think that figure alone which is more like a small mortgage would put some people off
potentially a bit; i for one wouldn't do it for 9K fees a year. i doubt if it will significantly though... and the natural inflation in applicants will probably continue
I think certain courses (GEP/6yr) will see a reduction in applicants.....

THAT SAID....its still medicine and it will still be stupidly competitive and oversubscribed
what about for someone who could only apply to 1/2 uni's as a resit candidate PROVIDING they get the grades?

GEP seems a better 'bet' on getting into medicine especially if they have a good 'back-up' that they could see themselves doing if medicine is REALY not an option in later life?

This is the posiition I am in (can only apply to 1 uni, being Brighton and Sussex), It seems GEM would be more likely (hopefully) after doing Radiography, and (if the desire to do medicine is still there, and i get a strong degree etc)

Any thoughts?
Original post by Bekaboo
graduate medicine has always been harder to get into than undergrad medicine, because it's a harder course!

Grad medicine isn't harder to get into because it's a harder course at all. It's harder to get into because there are far fewer places than for undergrad medicine, with more applicants (per place) flighting for them.

Difficulty of the course has nothing to do with it - the grades are high to limit applications. Most med schools have upped their grade requirements to AAA from AAB recently - this isn't because the course suddenly got harder!
Reply 17
admissions competition is cyclical.
Reply 18
Original post by theatrical
Grad medicine isn't harder to get into because it's a harder course at all. It's harder to get into because there are far fewer places than for undergrad medicine, with more applicants (per place) flighting for them.

Difficulty of the course has nothing to do with it - the grades are high to limit applications. Most med schools have upped their grade requirements to AAA from AAB recently - this isn't because the course suddenly got harder!

While I absolutely agree that it's the competitiveness that's the issue, I don't know if this is true for every GM course, but the ones I know about are in 4 years, not 5. Sounds harder to me.
Reply 19
Original post by Bekaboo
While I absolutely agree that it's the competitiveness that's the issue, I don't know if this is true for every GM course, but the ones I know about are in 4 years, not 5. Sounds harder to me.
But that's not the reason it's more competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending