The Student Room Group

Anti-Street Harassment UK- a new feminist group.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by screenager2004
Some of the responses to this thread just show how deeply certain attitudes are entrenched in society. If this campaign focused on ethnic minorities getting shouted at in the street there would be support for it: not people saying "see this is why I hate black people, just deal with it, don't get all butthurt and start a protest group, what a joke"

Because some men on here feel that women do the same to them.

Others seem to think that this means they will be attacked for just looking at women.

I get what the group if about. But the women who founded it her experience does sound a lot more like attempted rape than something a women will get every day.
Original post by Antonia87
To not be yelled at in the street and then suffer abuse if we dont respond?

Isnt that fair?

I never said that.
Yelling and Abuse, yes, thats bad and should stop.
Original post by DJkG.1
Oh come on ffs. If you're gonna dress suggestively and not cover up with a long coat or something when in public, we're bound to whistle and shout 'alright sexy'... it's just how it works.

And what about the scores of women who dont dress suggestively and get it anyway? I mentioned in an earlier post that I was yelled at whilst wearing a trouser suit.

How are blokes not getting this through their heads? ITS NOT ABOUT CLOTHING. IT HAPPENS REGARDLESS.
Original post by Aj12
Because some men on here feel that women do the same to them.

The group is "anti-street harassment" - not "anti street harassment from men". Although women constitute the overwhelming majority of victims from this behaviour, men are as entitled to the same protection offered by the group.

Others seem to think that this means they will be attacked for just looking at women.

This is just misinformed ignorance and has no bearing on the legitimacy of the group.

I get what the group if about. But the women who founded it her experience does sound a lot more like attempted rape than something a women will get every day.

That doesn't mean that being shouted at in the street is acceptable.

The point of the group is not to outlaw or ban shouting in the street. The point is to spread awareness that shouting in the street is not a good thing (as some people mistakenly believe it's some sort of 'compliment') - with an increase in public opinion that shouting at people in the street isn't nice, hopefully the incidence of it happening will fall. Therefore the group should be encouraged.
Reply 124
Errr where is clothing mentioned? You do realise that this happens to women regardless of what they're wearing?? I was walking home from work in my suit and it happened to me. Another time I was wearing jeans and a Rammstein shirt. Hardly slutty or provocative :rolleyes:

Its not about clothing, dear.

ahhhhh Awesome :smile:

And you're right, it is annoying and downright creepy sometimes when a guy or group of guys won't leave you alone. Suggestive comments that turn into abuse because you refuse to respond? Gahhhhh
Reply 125
Errr where is clothing mentioned? You do realise that this happens to women regardless of what they're wearing?? I was walking home from work in my suit and it happened to me. Another time I was wearing jeans and a Rammstein shirt. Hardly slutty or provocative :rolleyes:

Its not about clothing, dear.

I agree, I went out once in a baggy hoodie, no makeup, hair pinned up because I felt like utter ****e and couldn't be arsed making an effort and yet I was still harassed by men walking past... it isn't flattering, it is embarrassing and I get anxious thinking about whether or not I'll be hounded by some perverted comments on my way to uni. They think it is flattering, that it is a sign that you're attractive (I don't think I am) but the act of even doing such a thing makes me feel even more disgusting.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH LOOKING.

Looking, smiling, saying "good morning" or "hi" or even a non-sexual compliment - OK

Groping, wolf-whistling, yelling "I wanna **** you" or "nice tits" - NOT ****ING OK!

Basically, keep your thoughts to yourself.

And as for gropers, well there's no defense for that.

That settled it?
Reply 127
Its natrual for a guy to look at a girl who may be wearing sexy looking clothes. Its how he controls himself that makes the difference.
Reply 128
Original post by insoms
Because men get on with their lives.

Men get just as much abuse in life if not more.

Men have to deal with people being physically violent towards them. Men usually aren't violent to women. I'm just as scared as you if a group of guys comes towards me when I'm alone, if not more because wheras you'll get "alright love want ma number wanna come for a ride you're fit" I'll get instead "What the **** you lookin at mate?" and a deliberate shove. Yes you have the worry of being raped but I substitute in the worry of physical violence. Even the thuggiest of chavs usually won't hit a girl unprovoked and his mates would hold him back if he did, hitting another man on the other hand they have no qualms about.

Also you act like men don't get this kind of things throughout their lives. I've seen so many guys mercilessly mocked by groups of girls through highschool, I've seen more guys mocked this way than those who are exempt. I wasn't immune, I used to have girls come up to me and try and embarrass me as much as possible while their friends all stood in a group giggling. Guys that were more unlucky than me in the genepool got it alot worse than me. At least wth girls on the street the comments are because they find you attractive and not because they find you unnattractive and/or fun to humiliate.

But did I go cry and make some groupa bout it? No I grew up and ignored them.

:congrats:Absolutely beautiful. If I had rep left, I would rep you. I have to rate other members before I can rep you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by Jonty99
Lol, I was responding to that person's post so my reply must be read in context (perhaps it was your post? I genuinely can't remember).

They were implying that these Feminists were concerned about males and females being equal. It seems obvious to me that these Feminists are only concerned with females, not with males.

I absolutely agree. I said somewhere else that feminists throw their toys out of the pram whenever they experience some difficulties but completely ignore men's problems. But you won't be able to convince them otherwise. When they say the want equal rights between men and women, it's a smokescreen, a shield to deflect acknowledgement from their real motives (getting women what they want but ignore what men need at the same time). Nowadays, I can see modern feminism for what it is and I completely ignore them. They're just a group of people that when they don't get what they want (just for themselves, they ignore what men want), they throw their dummy out of the pram.

Men experience difficulties in life as well, sometimes even from you females. But do we cry and throw our dummy out of the pram. No, we just get on with it.

Pos+ rep for you sir.
Reply 130
Original post by Archaos
If anything this proves that feminists aren't all about gender equality and generally don't give a **** about men, hence why they're happy to constantly demonise them.

What if the feminists alienate men far enough that they start making protest groups telling the feminists to **** off and stop demonising and alienating them? I'd join that group in a heartbeat.

I would join the group too. You hit the nail on the head. Modern feminism is becoming a complete joke in general. They're taking it too far.
Original post by Cable
I absolutely agree. I said somewhere else that feminists throw their toys out of the pram whenever they experience some difficulties but completely ignore men's problems. But you won't be able to convince them otherwise. When they say the want equal rights between men and women, it's a smokescreen, a shield to deflect acknowledgement from their real motives (getting women what they want but ignore what men need at the same time). Nowadays, I can see modern feminism for what it is and I completely ignore them. They're just a group of people that when they don't get what they want (just for themselves, they ignore what men want), they throw their dummy out of the pram.

Men experience difficulties in life as well, sometimes even from you females. But do we cry and throw our dummy out of the pram. No, we just get on with it.

Pos+ rep for you sir.

So, when I told my partner a few weeks ago that it was quite right that men and women got the same treatment as far as car insurance went, and argued with him that if guys got higher insurance it was unfair because it assumed because of gender they would be UNABLE to do anything but be speed-demons, I was being a bad feminist? Who knew?
The group is "anti-street harassment" - not "anti street harassment from men". Although women constitute the overwhelming majority of victims from this behaviour, men are as entitled to the same protection offered by the group.

Are they? How do you know?

The "Stop Street Harrassment" website is solely about protecting women, it even says "for women" on the website title header.
Reply 133
Some of the responses to this thread just show how deeply certain attitudes are entrenched in society. If this campaign focused on ethnic minorities getting shouted at in the street there would be support for it: not people saying "see this is why I hate black people, just deal with it, don't get all butthurt and start a protest group, what a joke"

Sigh, this is the most retarded argument that comes up in these stupid debates. Replacing one word with another or one group with another does not make your original point correct/moral/acceptable and all you are doing is supporting this moronic idea that people have a right not to be offended, they dont.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 134
Original post by Lewroll
In my opinion, groping and harassment are bad, and women shouldn't have to feel threatened walking down the street.

But consider this for a moment, it may not be the act of groping which women dislike, could it possibly be the person doing the groping?

Nobody wants to be harassed by this guy

Spoiler

But if it was a good looking guy, would you feel the same

Spoiler

You get the idea. Attractive vs unattractive. Now I'm not saying this justifies those mens behaviour, what I am suggesting that perhaps it isn't the act itself which women dislike, rather, the person who is calling to them.

Thoughts?

This is a great point. Yes I believe harassment is wrong and all that but I cant help but believe that when an attractive guy presents the sort of behavior that women usually complain about...all of a sudden its 'romantic'.
Oddly enough, a good deal of male homophobia is based on the fact that guys don't like it when the tables are turned and there is the possibility that someone who they are Not Interested in in any way might be looking at them/flirting with them/touching them. Especially as that's the only time a lot of guys will receive interest from someone big enough to threaten them.

The presumption is that as we are women, and some women like having sex with guys, we are therefore interested in every guy. (Just as the presumption in homophobia is that everyone who is gay will be interested in ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE of the same sex). Or if not interested, at least open to them. If not, we're being MEAN. Why are we discriminating against those poor guys?

...I'm engaged. REALLY HAPPILY engaged. I'll be married this summer. Thus? I am Not Interested in you. I don't care if you have film-star good looks. I'm still Not Interested in you. If I dress up (which I don't, often), chances are it's to improve my own confidence, and so I feel pretty, not to attract you. If you POLITELY make it clear that you're interested in me, I'll POLITELY make it clear I'm not interested. Otherwise, why the hell can't you treat me just like another guy?
Original post by MancBoy
This is a great point. Yes I believe harassment is wrong and all that but I cant help but believe that when an attractive guy presents the sort of behavior that women usually complain about...all of a sudden its 'romantic'.

Actually, it's the quickest way I can think of for a guy to make himself UNattractive.
Reply 137
Original post by foreveranon
So, when I told my partner a few weeks ago that it was quite right that men and women got the same treatment as far as car insurance went, and argued with him that if guys got higher insurance it was unfair because it assumed because of gender they would be UNABLE to do anything but be speed-demons, I was being a bad feminist? Who knew?

If you're not a selfish feminist that only cares about equality just for females, then what's your problem? If you checked the context of my posts, I was talking about feminists that throw their dummy out of the pram and only care about themselves, not men. If you're not one of them, then I don't see what your problem is.

However, it's nice to know that there are some women out there that also consider men's problems as well as their own.
Reply 138
Original post by Andrii
No woman should have to put up with harassment walking down the street, regardless of what she is wearing- but to be fair, unless it's abusive comments or actual physical contact, then the whole thing is blown out of proportion as it usually is, inadvertently reducing the credibility of genuine cases. I mean if it was to go as far as reporting a guy for looking or wolf whistling or even a comment which is not abusive or that embarrassing just for the sake of it/to make a point then that's ridiculous.

The best thing I have read in this thread.
Reply 139
Feminists don't care about equality they don't care about both genders having equal rights. No what feminists care about is having greater right over the male sex.

Greater right to have custody of a child in a divorce settlement.

Greater right to get half of what her husband made in terms of finance.

Greater right for woman to not take responsibility for the way they dress.

Greater right for woman not to take responsibility for how much alcohol they drink in order to be responsible for the situation she can put herself in because of her alcohol consumption.

Really femenists just like to play the victim card.

I could make a group about how woman insult and abuse me in life but who's gonna take me seriously a 6ft5 male moaning about woman degrading me no one would. So I move on in life why because thats what society forces a male to do and some males cant move on thats why males have the highest suicide rates between the ages of 15-24 because of the pressure society puts on them to become the image of the man while having no resources to become one.

maybe thats what you woman should do.

Truth is all your feminists make money of the abuse industry you make money out of the destruction of other's lives the destruction of the male who you like to portray as hungry sexual monsters. You make money out of the familys you break up and the fathers who can't see the children you make money out of the suffering of others by painting the FEMALE as Innocent and the male as GUILTY.

To the point where Feminists think everywoman who accuses a male of something must be telling the truth. As if these woman were born yesterday.

Did anyone ever hear of the salem witch trials do you forget a Woman can tell a lie?

No I dont agree with harrasement no one should have to be abused and harrased however I disagree with any FEMALE or FEMALE GROUP who paints themselves as the greater victim.

By the way feminism really only works for the richer middle to upper class caucasian woman who have had rights for so so long I mean this woman have the guts to actually compare the sufferings to that of slaves and ethnic minority groups while living a life of privilege its the biggest joke in the world how can a group be privileged and yet be a victim of society at the same time?

No my comments on these privileged woman doesnt apply to all woman such as lower class woman , black woman or any woman from a unprivileged background just this caucasian woman who actually are privileged yet play the part of victim at the same time.

I got my info and views from several people one an auther called Esther Vilas who wrote the book the manipulated man and Dr Warren Farrel who wrote the Myth of male power. I say to any male here or female take a look at there works before you go out attacking males in society.

I don't think its right to just give a view out as if I thought of it myself its better to put the information out there so that other's can inform themselves on the matter. Sorry for going of topic but I just wanted to give my view on feminism as a whole rather than just the harrasment issue.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending