The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jimcatinnes
People all saying good, if it was you who was losing something, I bet you wouldn't be saying the same!

And how can people comment on something if they don't know what it is?

It is for free travel on busses and tram (but there's only one of them) (which would be £2.20 if you don't have one) and discounted travel on the tube. You have to pay £10(? it was when I had mine but that was a couple of years ago now) to get the oyster card.

Of course they're going to be pissed off about losing free stuff but the people paying for it (tax-payers) should be happy so seems fair.
Original post by Baula
Ouch, the max adult bus fare is £1.30 here on Stagecoach :s-smilie:

Whereabouts do you live?! :eek:

Living in the Greater London area the operator's services all cross over, so on London buses its £2.20 for anyone over 11 without an oyster, £1.30 with an adult oyster card (so not the 11-15 or 16-18 discounts).
The buses that run to my college are all independent services, so had to pay £25 for this 'student fare pass' that is only valid for the year, and then it only entitles you to ja;f price of already expensive fares (an adult single ticket to home-college would be £3.00).

Furthermore the service has got so bad (unreliable, takes ages etc.) that sometimes I just get the London bus and train instead, but even with the local council running both the train and bus student pass things having bought one won't entitle you to half price on the other so it just works out even more stupidly expensive.
Boris has said he's keeping concessions for students and young people, so I assume that means the Zip card is here to stay.
Original post by barnetlad
Boris has said he's keeping concessions for students and young people, so I assume that means the Zip card is here to stay.

Thank you a sensible person, this is down to the Mayor of London, not the prime minister!
i've asked a relative who drives trans and knows about transport,he says it's being debated..it's nt fully decided but there's a high chance of it happening..
apparently consertive want to get rid of oysters,but lib dem is scared of losing votes so is against..
they will lose SOOOOOO many votes if they stop oysters..they wont be elected for a long long time

btw oysters let you trave free on buses and helps you get cheap train tickets..
normally it's £10 but if you're in education and have an oyster it's £2.50..
Original post by Menakshelatte
i've asked a relative who drives trans and knows about transport,he says it's being debated..it's nt fully decided but there's a high chance of it happening..
apparently consertive want to get rid of oysters,but lib dem is scared of losing votes so is against..
they will lose SOOOOOO many votes if they stop oysters..they wont be elected for a long long time

btw oysters let you trave free on buses and helps you get cheap train tickets..
normally it's £10 but if you're in education and have an oyster it's £2.50..

Yes, the fact they tripled uni fees won't count against them at all, but then dropping reduced travel for 16-19 year olds, of which only 1/3 can vote will really hurt :|

I think that if there is a reduced oyster scheme for 16-19 year olds, then as long as it is paid for by the local council(s) budget, fine, its good, etc. If it comes from central funding, how is that far to those outside the capital? And I am assuming it is the second if the government are scrapping it, not a council.
Reply 26
Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made
Whereabouts do you live?! :eek:

Living in the Greater London area the operator's services all cross over, so on London buses its £2.20 for anyone over 11 without an oyster, £1.30 with an adult oyster card (so not the 11-15 or 16-18 discounts).
The buses that run to my college are all independent services, so had to pay £25 for this 'student fare pass' that is only valid for the year, and then it only entitles you to ja;f price of already expensive fares (an adult single ticket to home-college would be £3.00).

Furthermore the service has got so bad (unreliable, takes ages etc.) that sometimes I just get the London bus and train instead, but even with the local council running both the train and bus student pass things having bought one won't entitle you to half price on the other so it just works out even more stupidly expensive.

I live in Sheffield :tongue: The transport kind of varies depending on the bus company. I don't know the exact prices but I believe First charge somewhere in the region of £2-3 for a single journey of about 5 miles and before christmas they charged £4.50 for a day ticket.

All bus providers charge 40p to children from age 4-11 and then to those with passes - 19.

Stagecoach charge £1.30 for their max fare, £3 for a day ticket or £3.50 for a bus and tram day ticket and 50p to uni students (even those that don't belong to one of the Sheffield unis:biggrin:
It's a bit different in London. The tube is fairly expensive and you more or less can't drive.
Original post by Baula
Ouch, the max adult bus fare is £1.30 here on Stagecoach :s-smilie:

Max fare for £2.10 for adults

There is the option of all day saver which is £4.10
Reply 30
I wouldn't be happy if I was loosing something free but.. imagine how you would feel about someone whining about no longer getting something for free when you have always had to pay. wouldn't you find that annoying? you don't really DESERVE free buses and reduced train fares it was just a nice gift. and you should be grateful for gifts but never start to feel like your entitled to them. would you complain at someone for not buying you a big gift on your birthday? I really hope not
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by boba
I wouldn't be happy if I was loosing something free but.. imagine how you would feel about someone whining about no longer getting something for free when you have always had to pay. wouldn't you find that annoying? you don't really DESERVE free buses and reduced train fares it was just a nice gift. and you should be grateful for gifts but never start to feel like your entitled to them. would you complain at someone for not buying you a big gift on your birthday? I really hope not

Right. So how would you feel if your education plans were ****ed up by this government because you now have to somehow find a way to afford travel costs?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by WelshBluebird
Right. So how would you feel if your education plans were ****ed up by this government because you now have to somehow find a way to afford travel costs?

grrr i cant pos rep you :'(
Reply 33
They got rid of the student concessions on our local bus service too :frown: I still had 6 weeks left on mine.

Used to be 70p per journey or £1.40 all day unlimited.
It's £1 each journey now (so not a huge increase but still noticeable) and £1.80 per journey/£4 all day unlimited if you're an adult. So with EMA gone college students are going to find it pretty hard.

They try and encourage students to take the bus more, and not rely on their parents car/extra pollution and then make it expensive to actually use the buses.
Reply 34
Original post by WelshBluebird

well ... I do have to find a way to afford travel costs and it DID affect which colleges I could go to, it made me feel very resentful that a minority can have this paid for for them meaning they can choose to go to whatever college they wish while the majority of the country doesn't have that privilege. And then the fact that they don't even see it as a privilege or something to be grateful for but rather something they are entitled to and deserve , as is clearly shown by this thread, makes me pretty angry.
16-19 can vote as well..
trippling uni fees,cutting ema,increasing bus fares is so not gonna help them next election..
my mum should've voted for labour grrrrrrr
i dunno why she voted libdem!! X(
Original post by boba
well ... I do have to find a way to afford travel costs and it DID affect which colleges I could go to, it made me feel very resentful that a minority can have this paid for for them meaning they can choose to go to whatever college they wish while the majority of the country doesn't have that privilege. And then the fact that they don't even see it as a privilege or something to be grateful for but rather something they are entitled to and deserve , as is clearly shown by this thread, makes me pretty angry.

But our areas are different/? in London you need buses SO much more..
i do feel privilaged but like i say our area isnt the same.we need oysters much more for travel.
Original post by Menakshelatte
16-19 can vote as well..
trippling uni fees,cutting ema,increasing bus fares is so not gonna help them next election..
my mum should've voted for labour grrrrrrr
i dunno why she voted libdem!! X(

No, 18+ can vote...
I worked out that is cost me about £900 a year to get to and from school in Essex. OP, you're lucky. Times have changed - tough ti**ies.
Reply 39
Two pages in and nobody's actually cited a source confirming that the government are scrapping Oyster. Sounds like speculation to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending