The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You find it hard choosing between University of Manchester and Liverpool John Moores?
hey everyone, i've applied to eat steak and also to eat ****. which one should i eat?
Reply 3
Is this a ****ing joke? The OP is eitheri ncredibly stupid or a troll.
Reply 4
Original post by colin4president
hey everyone, i've applied to eat steak and also to eat ****. which one should i eat?

This rephrases the OP's question very appropriately :P
Reply 5
ahahhahahahahahahahaha omg this made me laugh WTF !!! this is so funny....(if its not a troll then manchester) but omg :biggrin:
wow what a par... this ones amusing
Reply 7
:sucks: ahhh been waiting to use this :colone:

Hahahaha!:biggrin:
Whichever one you want to go to.

Manchester has a far far better reputation.

Liverpool John Moores is not that great in comparison to Manchester but if they do the course you want, go for it.

But you might regret later when it comes to applying for a job because UoM probably put you in at advantage.
Reply 10
Manchester is great but don't let these people scare you off from LJMU. It's a decent university from what I've seen :smile: Basically you get people who genuinely rightfully believe that a university is better.

Then you get those that even if David Beckham studies was at Oxford. This would be better than a Computer Studies degree at LJMU

For example, in the computer science department of LJMU, there employment rates are equal top of the North West with Manchester. So is LJMU that bad seriously ?

It's a new university, still has a lot of development to be gone into but if you did decide to go there, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

However, visit the open days. Which uni impresses you the most ? If it's Manchester go there. The same for LJMU.

Just try and visit the places one or two times to get a feel for the places. You'll get more of a vibe from one university than you do another, so just try and do some personal research and you should be fine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by accesstohe
Is this a ****ing joke? The OP is eitheri ncredibly stupid or a troll.

Original post by nunugab
You find it hard choosing between University of Manchester and Liverpool John Moores?

Original post by lionboy
ahahhahahahahahahahaha omg this made me laugh WTF !!! this is so funny....(if its not a troll then manchester) but omg :biggrin:

Have any of you studied at either departments, or know anything about them? If you have then please, feel free to comment and tell the OP why Manchester is so superior, but don't be so rude.

I suspect, however, that you don't and are mocking John Moores purely because it's a former polytechnic.

OP, I've moved you thread to Social Sciences. If you want to speak with other Criminology students then please do to the Criminology Society thread. It can be found in the Social Sciences forum
Reply 12
are you kidding me ??
Okay, I might be able to give you some advice. I do a social science degree but not criminology. The lecturers are very good in my opinion, with lots of experience And in my case, doing a law degree, they are all very experienced. The only experience I have had of Manchester is the open day and I personally didn't like it and preferred Liverpool.

However, I suppose in these tough times, prestige does take more of an important factor as people fight for jobs.

If I were you I would go to both open days and without pre judgement, judge them when you get there. Perhaps have a marking criteria where you can then equally judge them later on, under headings such as department, accommodation, course, city and surroundings, opportunities, etc. That way you can judge them equally.

Uni of Manchester may be a better uni, but you have to live there. You might prefer Liverpool more.
Reply 14
You cannot be SERIOUS?
Reply 15
Lol, Manchester.
Reply 16
Original post by River85
Have any of you studied at either departments, or know anything about them? If you have then please, feel free to comment and tell the OP why Manchester is so superior, but don't be so rude.

I suspect, however, that you don't and are mocking John Moores purely because it's a former polytechnic.

OP, I've moved you thread to Social Sciences. If you want to speak with other Criminology students then please do to the Criminology Society thread. It can be found in the Social Sciences forum

I think its fair to assume that the quality of tuition at Manchester is higher than Liverpool John Moores. No disrespect to LJM though.
Reply 17
Original post by nunugab
I think its fair to assume that the quality of tuition at Manchester is higher than Liverpool John Moores. No disrespect to LJM though.

Is it? Why? It is not terribly rare to find a former polytechinc/low ranking university, like John Moores, to have some excellent departments which can rival any department in the country, or at least many Russell Group universities. In fact, in terms of quality of teaching and research, I can think of at least one department at almost every post-1992. History and Architecture at Brookes; Law, Fashion and Business at Nothumbria; Built Environment at UCLAN and UWE; Art at Birmingham City and Brighton; Computer Science at Plymouth. What's more, contact hours are often higher and, this is quite a generalisation but generally true in my opinion, student support services (particularly disability support) tends to be better at post-1992s..

I just don't see why people should be so cocky and confident about something they are ignorant of. I don't know about the departments, though I would imagine Manchester is certainly the strongest from a research point of view, neither can I comment on the course content. Therefore I don't state any preference. No one, without any knowledge of the departments, should sneer at a another university.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by River85
Is it? Why? It is not terribly rare to find a former polytechinc/low ranking university, like John Moores, to have some excellent departments which can rival any department in the country, or at least many Russell Group universities. In fact, in terms of quality of teaching and research, I can think of at least one department at almost every post-1992. History and Architecture at Brookes; Law, Fashion and Business at Nothumbria; Built Environment at UCLAN and UWE; Art at Birmingham City and Brighton; Computer Science at Plymouth. What's more, contact hours are often higher and, this is quite a generalisation but generally true in my opinion, student support services (particularly disability support) tends to be better at post-1992s..

I just don't see why people should be so cocky and confident about something they are ignorant of. I don't know about the departments, though I would imagine Manchester is certainly the strongest from a research point of view, neither can I comment on the course content. Therefore I don't state any preference. No one, without any knowledge of the departments, should sneer at a another university.

your absolutely barmy...its okay if you take meds but someone should really stop you from using gadgets such as computers as you might hurt yourself with them...LJMU ... im sorry but you are insane:nutcase:
Reply 19
Original post by lionboy
your absolutely barmy...its okay if you take meds but someone should really stop you from using gadgets such as computers as you might hurt yourself with them...LJMU ... im sorry but you are insane:nutcase:

Thank you for the compliment (really, I do take it as a compliment) :hat2: I'm putting that in my sig!

Did I say LJM is the better choice or stronger department? I know little about it, except a handful of courses. I just don't particularly like people, especially those who aren't at university themselves, looking down on universities they know little about beyond stereotypes and uninformed snobbery. If you know John Moores' department, and want to criticise it, please feel free.

Latest

Trending

Trending