The Student Room Group

UCL or Warwick?

WHich is better for a career in Investment Banking (M&A preferably)

MSc Statistics at UCL
or
MSc Economics at Warwick??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
I have the same question but also throw Bath in there as well!
Reply 3
its a tough call, what courses have you applied for and what are your offers?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
haha, nah, this is me considering for the next year for economics :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Official.One
WHich is better for a career in Investment Banking (M&A preferably)

MSc Statistics at UCL
or
MSc Economics at Warwick??

MSc Economics at Warwick! Warwick is world class in economics and gives you better job prospects!
Reply 6
Original post by soczek322
MSc Economics at Warwick! Warwick is world class in economics and gives you better job prospects!

I knowwww and thats what makes it harder...

London's flagship uni vs. An established target uni

the first stats dept in the world vs. A world class econ dept

the city vs. A campus uni

etc etc....just makes the decision harder :frown:
Reply 7
I knowwww and thats what makes it harder...

London's flagship uni vs. An established target uni

the first stats dept in the world vs. A world class econ dept

the city vs. A campus uni

etc etc....just makes the decision harder :frown:

what course have you done for your undergrad degree? I'm mainly asking for a subject...
Reply 8
UCL without a shadow of a doubt.
Reply 9
Original post by Mujeriego
UCL without a shadow of a doubt.

is UCL THAAAAT far ahead of Warwick?
Reply 10
Original post by zDjM
what course have you done for your undergrad degree? I'm mainly asking for a subject...

Final year, BSc Economics
is UCL THAAAAT far ahead of Warwick?

Didn't you do any research before making your choices? :confused:

UCL is ahead of Warwick in most league tables and in the mind of the average person. Not many people have heard about it abroad and the ones who live here think it's somewhere random in Middle England. Warwick has a few flagship courses whereas the majority of UCL's courses are world class. But to be fair, it's Economics and Maths departments are pretty stellar.

International and domestic prestige > domestic prestige.
Living in London > living in Coventry.

At least that's why I chose UCL.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Mujeriego
Didn't you do any research before making your choices? :confused:

UCL is ahead of Warwick in most league tables and in the mind of the average person. Not many people have heard about it abroad and the ones who live here think it's somewhere random in Middle England. Warwick has a few flagship courses whereas the majority of UCL's courses are world class. But to be fair, it's Economics and Maths departments are pretty stellar.

International and domestic prestige > domestic prestige.
Living in London > living in Coventry.

At least that's why I chose UCL.

lol the results of my research is what brought me to ask the question...i mainly found split opinions about the two.

however if the difference between the two is as vast as you say, then my choice (UCL) will most certainly be a no-brainer :cool:
Reply 13
lol the results of my research is what brought me to ask the question...i mainly found split opinions about the two.

however if the difference between the two is as vast as you say, then my choice (UCL) will most certainly be a no-brainer :cool:

I had to make that choice for maths and UCL was actually my 4th choice.... I now have it as insurance because of the low offer compared to warwick and imperial!
Reply 14
Do banks look at what you studied and the strenght of the department or do they just take into account the overall uni reputation?
Reply 15
Do banks look at what you studied and the strenght of the department or do they just take into account the overall uni reputation?

That's a really good question haha! I don't think they go to deep into the subject leagues. Probably they know basic facts like Maths at Warwick, Economics at LSE etc.

Regarding your first degree I'm in the same situation and I'm going to do MSc Stats for 3 reasons:
- broader skillset: by doing stats you prove that you can count complex things and in general you're a smart guy who can and who is not afraid of numbers
- is masters in economics really going to give you any new additional skills? I don't think more micro and macro is going to be that beneficial
- you save money if you choose stats :smile:

+ reputation of UCL is sky high and their stats course doesn't seem to be very advanced so it's win-win
Reply 16
I remember reading somewhwere about recruiting by UK Investment banks. Apparently there are only 6 Universities they bother to recruit from. There is an 'inner circle' of Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial. Then there is an 'outer circle' of UCL, Warwick and LSE. They don't recruit from any other Universities.

Ergo, you pays yer money and take yer choice. Both are target Universities for Investment Banking.

UCL and Warwick are both outstanding Universities, but UCL has the better world reputation (it's the nearest thing we have to a British Princeton).

Toss of a coin job I think (unless you prefer London to Warwick, or campus to City etc). Plus, do you prefer Stats or Economics?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by zDjM
That's a really good question haha! I don't think they go to deep into the subject leagues. Probably they know basic facts like Maths at Warwick, Economics at LSE etc.

Regarding your first degree I'm in the same situation and I'm going to do MSc Stats for 3 reasons:
- broader skillset: by doing stats you prove that you can count complex things and in general you're a smart guy who can and who is not afraid of numbers
- is masters in economics really going to give you any new additional skills? I don't think more micro and macro is going to be that beneficial
- you save money if you choose stats :smile:

+ reputation of UCL is sky high and their stats course doesn't seem to be very advanced so it's win-win

the latter two reasons are exactly why i applied for a stats course amongst my masters application lol!

But yeah i think its pretty much cemented that I'll favour UCL over Warwick now!

Whats your background?
Reply 18
Original post by MarkNoble
I remember reading somewhwere about recruiting by UK Investment banks. Apparently there are only 6 Universities they bother to recruit from. There is an 'inner circle' of Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial. Then there is an 'outer circle' of UCL, Warwick and LSE. They don't recruit from any other Universities.

Ergo, you pays yer money and take yer choice. Both are target Universities for Investment Banking.

UCL and Warwick are both outstanding Universities, but UCL has the better world reputation (it's the nearest thing we have to a British Princeton).

Toss of a coin job I think (unless you prefer London to Warwick, or campus to City etc). Plus, do you prefer Stats or Economics?

Exactly what I thought re: 6 target unis, yeah I'm still waiting on Imperial but if not, I think UCL would be the way forward...with regards to stats or econ, to be honest, 3 years of econ have made me sick of the subject :sick:
Really, there's not much of a difference. UCL has the London advantage, but Warwick attracts plenty of recruitment at its career/graduate fairs.

EDIT: If you're THAT sick of Economics then for god's sakes go do the MSc in Statistics. No point spending a year doing something you hate for no reason.

Original post by MarkNoble

Well... it's not like banks do not recruit whatsoever from any other unis, they just recruit preferentially from those six universities. According to this forum something like 90% of FO intake comes from these six "target" universities.

And no way is LSE in the outer circle. According to the IB forum on this site, the ranking for unis to get into FO is:

Oxford/Cambridge/LSE
Imperial

UCL/Warwick

The rest* (if you want to see the full list go to the IB sticky thread)
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending