The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by dmz
assuming you have decent experience then? If not HCA seems to help (better in hospital), uni's who purely use cut offs once you have the basic requirements like Glasgow Manchester Durham Newcastle and barts i think. My friend had full mark with leicester (academically) and didn't get an interview, think they use your lowest score as well but those are great marks :tongue:

Yeah a year in a hospital volunteering, two weeks work experience (although the one I did after I sent off my form was actually sooo much more valuable - and nobody even knows about it!) and I've done some charity work and taught younger students etc.

Got the feedback from Leeds today though - seems like I lost out most on 'Motivation and Insight' and 'Responsiblity'. The motivation one I can totally understand, since I've actually realised by being rejected how much the whole thing means to me. Definately need to work on personal statement this year!
REJCTED FROM MY FIRST AND FINAL CHOICE.

however not gutted. my heart was broken when i was rejected by st andrews two weeks ago.

now i'm just applying for prospectuses and gettiing excited about this year ACTUALLY getting a choice in where i want to apply rather than who will be fine with my academics

I was just thinking that maybe at some of the open days we could have a "2012 SUCCESSFULL REAPPLICANTS crew" meet up, just an idea though :smile:
Reply 282
Original post by laurenl93

however not gutted. my heart was broken when i was rejected by st andrews two weeks ago.

now i'm just applying for prospectuses and gettiing excited about this year ACTUALLY getting a choice in where i want to apply rather than who will be fine with my academics

I was just thinking that maybe at some of the open days we could have a "2012 SUCCESSFULL REAPPLICANTS crew" meet up, just an idea though :smile:

We should have a meetup sometime :smile: I'm sure there will be plenty of us at the open days :P
Original post by twelve
We should have a meetup sometime :smile: I'm sure there will be plenty of us at the open days :P

Definitiely :h: Whereabouts do you live?

Hahaha i bet there will be loads of us, we can form a proper little crew on this thread to help get each other through to october 15th and then the dreaded interview times :eek:

.... provided we get the grades. but obviously we will haha:biggrin:
Reply 284
Definitiely :h: Whereabouts do you live?

Hahaha i bet there will be loads of us, we can form a proper little crew on this thread to help get each other through to october 15th and then the dreaded interview times :eek:

.... provided we get the grades. but obviously we will haha:biggrin:

Haha we will! I live near Birmingham ish, so quite far from you in Newcastle :P

Definately - we're all here for eachother :biggrin:
Reply 285
Original post by twelve
Yeah a year in a hospital volunteering, two weeks work experience (although the one I did after I sent off my form was actually sooo much more valuable - and nobody even knows about it!) and I've done some charity work and taught younger students etc.

Got the feedback from Leeds today though - seems like I lost out most on 'Motivation and Insight' and 'Responsiblity'. The motivation one I can totally understand, since I've actually realised by being rejected how much the whole thing means to me. Definately need to work on personal statement this year!

Oh right, my volunteering sucked, i could only show people round, like futuredoc and sarah1991 would tell you (tho they have a combined 3A*,9A's they didn't get an offer) it's near impossible to get a proper work experience in Manchester unless you have contacts (a dad's that a doctor or something). Even when i was re-applying i couldn't get an HCA job cos i turned 18 in August applied since then and only started working 5 weeks ago, so even when i re-applied i couldn't be as strong as possible, closest thing i had was playing basketball with people who had learning difficulty and showing people how to get round the hospital :mad2:

I centered my application on leeds, cos i had a good PS score and thought i should get an interview but i only got an extra point for academics. lol

As long as you know exactly what you need to do for where, and you're gonna get it done by september then that's great. HCA seems to be invaluable and try not to focus your application on one uni
Original post by dmz
Oh right, my volunteering sucked, i could only show people round, like futuredoc and sarah1991 would tell you (tho they have a combined 3A*,9A's they didn't get an offer) it's near impossible to get a proper work experience in Manchester unless you have contacts (a dad's that a doctor or something). Even when i was re-applying i couldn't get an HCA job cos i turned 18 in August applied since then and only started working 5 weeks ago, so even when i re-applied i couldn't be as strong as possible, closest thing i had was playing basketball with people who had learning difficulty and showing people how to get round the hospital :mad2:

I centered my application on leeds, cos i had a good PS score and thought i should get an interview but i only got an extra point for academics. lol

As long as you know exactly what you need to do for where, and you're gonna get it done by september then that's great. HCA seems to be invaluable and try not to focus your application on one uni

Where are you working at the moment? Are you a HCA? How did you get the job and is it full time work?

It is practically impossible to get any health/care related work in Glasgow. :frown:
Reply 287
Original post by firestar101
Where are you working at the moment? Are you a HCA? How did you get the job and is it full time work?

It is practically impossible to get any health/care related work in Glasgow. :frown:

yer, got full time in a residential, bank in a nursing home, i work in a shop as well part time. I turned out another bank cos they were just chatting crap. The two i'm in were cos i knew someone who worked there and even then i waited months :sigh:

Manchester seems to be very similar to glasgow
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Ohhh I get what you mean :smile: Nope, you only need to declare the grades you get at the end of the two years and not the resits. The final grades only have to be declared when they are certificated and only when they are certificated.

Hope that makes sense :tongue:

Yes! you get what I mean! xD :wink: Okay, that's awesome! :biggrin:
Thanks so much for clearing my queries :smile:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
No worries :hat2:

"Ohhh I get what you mean Nope, you only need to declare the grades you get at the end of the two years and not the resits. The final grades only have to be declared when they are certificated and only when they are certificated.

Hope that makes sense "
This :ditto:

I'll be lurking around this thread as I'd like to see how everyone does so if there are any other questions that don't get answered quote me into this thread and I'll try to help :yep:

Good luck with your results :h:

Thanks for clarifying! :biggrin: and you're awesome and very helpful :biggrin: :cool:
Thanks, I'm working super hard now :cool:
Original post by Phenylethylamine_

Thanks for clarifying! :biggrin: and you're awesome and very helpful :biggrin: :cool:
Thanks, I'm working super hard now :cool:

No problem :h:
And I know :smug:

Enjoy that work :colone:

St. andrews broke my heart with my rejection :/ soooooooo reapplying though :smile: I'm gonna get prospectuses from a ucas fair thingy for first yrs that they've allwoed me to go to :P gonna be carrying a hell of a lot of propectuses at once - i'll consider it my first challenge of reapplying :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
St. andrews broke my heart with my rejection :/ soooooooo reapplying though :smile: I'm gonna get prospectuses from a ucas fair thingy for first yrs that they've allwoed me to go to :P gonna be carrying a hell of a lot of propectuses at once - i'll consider it my first challenge of reapplying :tongue:

Ah i couldnt physically speak when i got rejected and just fell onto the floor with my phone in my hand and broke down :/ didnt seep for ages too plus i knew i'd get this leicester rejection- my interviewer wasnt the nicest of people :frown:
Ah yeah i remember that ucas fair, i might go cus we have one at the metroradio arena and ill just bombard myself with every medicine prospectus there is and lookf or places which look favourably on people with attained grades :h:
where abouts in north yorkshire ar eyou from?

Im not sure where to apply, except i wanna apply to queens belfast for definite :hearts:
I just really dont wanna be lonely!
Ah i couldnt physically speak when i got rejected and just fell onto the floor with my phone in my hand and broke down :/ didnt seep for ages too plus i knew i'd get this leicester rejection- my interviewer wasnt the nicest of people :frown:
Ah yeah i remember that ucas fair, i might go cus we have one at the metroradio arena and ill just bombard myself with every medicine prospectus there is and lookf or places which look favourably on people with attained grades :h:

Im not sure where to apply, except i wanna apply to queens belfast for definite :hearts:

I managed to hide it from siblings who were in same room but i was pretty much frozen and went to one word answers - broke down too out of sight of people :tongue: I was similar, just waiting for an aberdeen rejection that i got the next day lol mines is the spennymour one :/ least this year cause my friend can drive we dont need to get a bus with noisy first years lol Last year I only really looked at the scottish ones and just one or two others cause I'd already decided. though this year im more open-minded about where i apply :smile: I'm in Northallerton but go to college in Darlington (Queen Elizabeth Sixth Form - if you've heard of it :tongue: maybes not)

For me I am definatly applying to St. Andrews and possibly Aberdeen again but not as sure about rest. Am considering Queen though :d thought it looked really nice - its on my prospectus hit list! :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
For me I am definatly applying to St. Andrews and possibly Aberdeen again but not as sure about rest.

:ditto: The St. Andrews rejection broke my heart :frown: I really loved it there and I was sooo hoping for an offer :frown: Hopefully, this time I'll be more lucky :daydreaming:
Yes! you get what I mean! xD :wink: Okay, that's awesome! :biggrin:
Thanks so much for clearing my queries :smile:

It's no problem :biggrin:. You should be fine in that case!

:smile: Good luck :tongue:

Aww! I found out my rejection from Liverpool post-interview last Friday, just when I was about to leave to go out with a bunch of my friends to C.London for my friend's birthday. As soon as we got on the tube, I blurted it out to my friends and was telling them that I've decided to take a gap year etc. I really didn't want to go after getting my rejection, but my friends were on their way to the station, so I couldn't back out. But, we had so many laughs that day, I was then actually alright.

It's horrible when you first get it and opening UCAS track, ahhh, the worst, so I told my sister to open mine. The way you described how you fell down with your phone in your hand, sounds so filmy and melodramatic, but we all know it happens when you get a medicine rejection :wink: :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
It's no problem :biggrin:. You should be fine in that case!

:smile: Good luck :tongue:

Your sig! :tongue:
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Your sig! :tongue:

Lawwwwl.. can't stay away from the Hogwarts sig :tongue:
Lawwwwl.. can't stay away from the Hogwarts sig :tongue:

'Tis brilliance. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending