The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8000
Hi guys, could you give me some advice on resigning? I work on the deli counter, so should I hand in my resignation letter to counters manager or someone else?
Reply 8001
since we're on about customers thinking we're stupid, i thought i'd add my most hated situation.
customer asks you whether you stock something, i say no. 2 mins later a colleague comes to me with the same customer and asks if we stock that item. i always give the customer this kinda look ----> :angry:.
or worse i get tannoyed to contact the CSD, i walk all the way over to the CSD and the customer is there.
Reply 8002
I got the job :smile: Start my induction tomorrow and Saturday 9-5pm.

I'm quite nervous >.<
I'm still not 100% sure what I'm required to do as a counter assistant.
Reply 8003
Original post by JemMills

If you're in before the counters open, you need to set up the displays. Serve customers. When there are no customers, clean. If your store has a salad bar you need to keep that topped up too.
Reply 8004

I'm quite nervous >.<

ahhh well done

don't be nervous you are not required to give a speech about what you know about your job. it's just a long day sitting down and filling out workbooks which i'm sure they will let you and others to work together on.

from what i see on counters when im hovering around there (rarely over on that side of the store since it is cold with all the fresh chillers around it) you pretty much serve customers, prepare hot foods when supplies are low, keep the place tidy and clean, maintain a good display, don't wander over to raw section (fish and meat) if you work on the cooked section (deli, food to go) and vice versa.
Reply 8005
Original post by HarryA
Hi guys, could you give me some advice on resigning? I work on the deli counter, so should I hand in my resignation letter to counters manager or someone else?

Should be HR, but as an act of courtesy, hand it to both.
Reply 8006

I'm quite nervous >.<

Well done! I am going to leave my position soon. Go to your store and look for the counters - it's not really the best job to be honest. You have to wear a silly hat, apron, white coat on top of the normal uniform. And half the time you are cleaning, just cleaning things like the worktops, plates, spoons, machinery. And you have to handle meat like ham and turkey and slice it on the machine, serve cheese, olives and snacks. Make pizzas and sometimes cook them (which is fun!). You also have to spend some time in the chiller (which is really cold) checking and getting stock and a small amount of time in the freezer (which is frigging freeeeezing cold) checking stock.

I honestly hated the actual job, but the people I worked with were great.
sounds better than nights :frown:
I got a job at Sainsburys recently and have my induction next week, it's 3 days 5-9 of the evening.

I'm a bit paranoid I've got this wrong and it should be 9-5, but I did check several times on the phone and said in the evening! Has anybody else had inductions in the evening? Most I've seen on here and people I've spoken to from other branches were in the daytime?
Reply 8009
Original post by notepanel
I got a job at Sainsburys recently and have my induction next week, it's 3 days 5-9 of the evening.

I'm a bit paranoid I've got this wrong and it should be 9-5, but I did check several times on the phone and said in the evening! Has anybody else had inductions in the evening? Most I've seen on here and people I've spoken to from other branches were in the daytime?

Not every store trainer works the same hours :wink:

Mine was in the evenings - don't worry :smile: what store are you at?
Reply 8011
Original post by HarryA
Well done! I am going to leave my position soon. Go to your store and look for the counters - it's not really the best job to be honest. You have to wear a silly hat, apron, white coat on top of the normal uniform. And half the time you are cleaning, just cleaning things like the worktops, plates, spoons, machinery. And you have to handle meat like ham and turkey and slice it on the machine, serve cheese, olives and snacks. Make pizzas and sometimes cook them (which is fun!). You also have to spend some time in the chiller (which is really cold) checking and getting stock and a small amount of time in the freezer (which is frigging freeeeezing cold) checking stock.

I honestly hated the actual job, but the people I worked with were great.

I actually enjoy cleaning so that could work out okay then! I've worked a couple of crappy jobs with evil managers so hopefully this will be better in comparison.

mine was 5 til 9 as well, and i had a 4 til 8. it wasn't too bad.

I had one full day and one evening until 9pm. :smile:

It varies depending on the trainers etc.

I hope you like it when you start. :smile:
This is a bit of an odd question but I hope someone can answer it. With the shining star vouchers can they be spent in any store or just the store that you work in?
I work doing the online shopping and they have recently cut all overtime :frown: Is it possible to get overtime on another department i.e checkouts (I'm not till trained but surely they would want more till trained staff)
Reply 8016
Original post by stargirl92
I work doing the online shopping and they have recently cut all overtime :frown: Is it possible to get overtime on another department i.e checkouts (I'm not till trained but surely they would want more till trained staff)

My store is always begging for people to be checkout trained and have a list to sign up for chcekout overtime pretty much everyday. Just talk to a checkout supervisor, she will let you know :biggrin:
we lost another one on thursday >_< our staff turnover rate is really high atm.

luckily management has finally realised there is a problem thanks to the talkback things. so fingers crossed it will start to get better soon:smile:
Original post by inksplodge
we lost another one on thursday >_< our staff turnover rate is really high atm.

luckily management has finally realised there is a problem thanks to the talkback things. so fingers crossed it will start to get better soon:smile:

I hope things start to get better for you. :smile:

I don't think anyone has left our store since it opened. The temps were automatically finished after Christmas but everyone else has stuck it out. It almost makes me feel bad for quitting in a few months time lol. :smile:
I need hours so bad it's unreal.

I'm only contracted to 12 so that's effectively £300pm, my car insurance is £150 a month so I'm working for buttons..

Latest

Trending

Trending