The Student Room Group

Why are people who go to war automatically declared heroes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Winning

I pity the OP and people like him because they are so narrow-minded and self-consumed that they only care about their personal gain and don't think that there could be something bigger than themselves, something worth fighting and dying for. .

On the contrary, I care about human life and don't think vulnerable young people should be fooled into sacrificing themselves for someone else's political gain and profit.
Reply 61
Original post by Winning
I pity the OP and people like him because they are so narrow-minded and self-consumed that they only care about their personal gain and don't think that there could be something bigger than themselves, something worth fighting and dying for. They are the same breed of people who would simply walk by if they'd see a woman get raped. These people couldn't even survive without better people then them, people who they despise, would fight for their safety and freedom.
This is a really sad way to live and a complete waste. This is why I pity them.

A coward dies a million deaths while a brave man dies just once.

Why am I sensing a pattern here?

This really isn't making you look good. Quite disgusting actually. You should be ashamed of what you've just written, that you could speak about your fellow man/woman you know nothing of in such a way.

I hope you have an epiphany soon and realise it may just be the other way around here...

Until that time: ever considered writing for the Daily Mail or The Sun?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 62
So are you comparing Taliban to lions in a pen? Refine your analogy sir
Original post by nonotrly
So if I run into a road, I'm a hero?

So then why isn't everyone heroes until proven... whatever that word is?

murderer?

Maybe he was a nice person, but maybe the same could've been said for other military-trained guys who went bat**** and shot at people before killing rtainly not yourself and your view.

Yeah it's vague. But I'm sure you can fill the gaps.
Reply 64
Original post by Manc990
Maybe not all heros, but do things most people are scared to do. Also do not deserve to die just because they knew of the risk like most people on this thread seem to think

People aren't saying soldiers deserve to die, they're saying it is a valid outcome. If someone is just told joining the army gets you free cake and lots of women, and then they get shot dead, that's bad.

But if someone signs up knowing they will be mentally and physically trained to kill people and they will be entering a warzone with and against other such people, then that is just what it is. It is cause and effect. Death is sad, but no-one thought it couldn't happen.
Original post by infernalcradle
many join up for the family, for the lifestyle, to give something back, for their sense of duty, for many many reasons, each private and personal.....

those who join up "to go to war".....very rarely get past the first stage interview......

so don't judge those who you do not know and should have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for

I never asked for the reasons why they join up. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. That other guy said they join up to 'protect their family' and I said protect from who?

And one of my close friends from school is actually in the army, I don't judge him, and from my post, didn't judge anyone. However I don't give any respect or admiration to them just because they are in the British Army. I would lose respect for them if I heard they were in the army, particulary the paras.
Reply 66
People aren't saying soldiers deserve to die, they're saying it is a valid outcome. If someone is just told joining the army gets you free cake and lots of women, and then they get shot dead, that's bad.

But if someone signs up knowing they will be mentally and physically trained to kill people and they will be entering a warzone with and against other such people, then that is just what it is. It is cause and effect. Death is sad, but no-one thought it couldn't happen.

They are killing people for a reason, though. That reason is said to coincide with our best interests, hence they are putting their lives on the line for our interests.
As much as I respect the armed forces, I've got friends in the marines and the army, I really do not buy into this 'they're heroes until proven otherwise' bull****, or anything with similar sentiments.

Would say more, BUT MUST DASH.
Reply 68
Original post by Installation
Yeah it's vague. But I'm sure you can fill the gaps.

Get off your pedestal and write, rather than conveying a sense of superiority by knowing what we don't know, because you were vague rather than smarter.

Original post by SteveCrain
So are you comparing Taliban to lions in a pen? Refine your analogy sir

I am not, senor. I don't see where the taliban fit into this - that is so 2003.

An army invading a country, then being attacked, but winning the war = going into a lion's territory, being attacked, but winning.

And don't even start trying to explain how Iraq were involved with 9/11, because even Bush and Blair gave up that excuse around the time Saddam was captured.

Original post by SteveCrain
They are killing people for a reason, though. That reason is said to coincide with our best interests, hence they are putting their lives on the line for our interests.

You're saying... dying is not a valid outcome of being a soldier because they and we are told they're doing it for good? Does that mean God makes us immortal in a war?

More importantly, they are being told that by certain people. Those on the other side, or even no side at all, would say they're doing it for evil. So why should I think we are right? Because I am me, and I am British, so British must be right?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 69
Get off your pedestal and write, rather than conveying a sense of superiority by knowing what we don't know, because you were vague rather than smarter.

I am not, senor. I don't see where the taliban fit into this - that is so 2003.

An army invading a country, then being attacked, but winning the war = going into a lion's territory, being attacked, but winning.

You're saying... dying is not a valid outcome of being a soldier because they and we are told they're doing it for good?

More importantly, they are being told that by certain people. Those on the other side, or even no side at all, would say they're doing it for evil. So why are we right? Because I am me, and I am British, so British must be right?

You're missing the point. They are acting in the general interests, so it is said, of the country.

I don't get what relevance your second point has to this. I was telling you why people call them, sometimes rightly so, heroes.

Frankly I don't care what my opponent says, specifically if he lives in by and in unbounded dogma.
(edited 13 years ago)
Why do some people believe that everyone who joins the army does so because they can't do anything else?
My uncle worked in the RAF for a decade before going into the ICI in some sort of science related job (don't know the specifics). He didn't join the RAF because he couldn't do anything else, he joined to serve his country, there's nothing wrong with being patriotic.
Original post by Jungle Is Massive
Unless appearing inane is simply part of some kind of grand plan, you'd do well to start using words which you can both spell and define.

Oooh nice comeback, you really dissected and tore apart my argument there didn't you?
Which words in particular were not 'defined'?
And you'll have to forgive any spelling mistakes, I didn't realise people on TSR were that pedantic/had their head stuck that far up their asses that they'd dismiss an argument based on a few spelling mistakes.
Reply 72
The word hero comes from the greek word heros meaning warrior or literally protector or defender so even if you dont think soldiers are good and deserve to be looked at in a positive light. Since its meaning implies that the person is a defender or protector I guess the word hero can also apply to a soldier since they are protecting and defending whatever they have been sent to war to defend.

Hero also means to be a servant in latin hero equals servo meaning servant meaning to watch over to protect and to save and soldiers do serve there nation in the army so I think the word does apply to them wether we like or dislike soldiers.

Truth is your thinking about a hero in the moral sense and depending on your view on morality a soldier may or may not be a hero to you however when it comes down to the meaning of the word that is what they are.
(edited 13 years ago)
All troopers in the Empire are heroes.
Original post by SatanIsAwesome
Why do some people believe that everyone who joins the army does so because they can't do anything else?
My uncle worked in the RAF for a decade before going into the ICI in some sort of science related job (don't know the specifics). He didn't join the RAF because he couldn't do anything else, he joined to serve his country, there's nothing wrong with being patriotic.

This. There's an Ammo Tech I know who has a masters degree in Physics from the University of Manchester. Some of his Uni friends are working on the Large Hadron Collider. He's the smartest guy I know and definately was not forced into the Army out of a lack of career options.
Reply 75
Original post by SatanIsAwesome
there's nothing wrong with being patriotic.

That can be argued.
Reply 76
Original post by CJRyan
I think they are called heroes as they risk there lives to fight on the front line

This.

While you're in an air conditioned office doing some work on MS word, they're out there risking their lives in outrageous climates and in more than dangerous situations.

The ignorance and lack of respect you show really does aggravate me, what makes you better than them? What makes you think soldiers are 'too dumb to get a degree' or are 'chavs'?

I really do await your response.
Reply 77
Original post by concubine
As much as I respect the armed forces, I've got friends in the marines and the army, I really do not buy into this 'they're heroes until proven otherwise' bull****, or anything with similar sentiments.

Would say more, BUT MUST DASH.

Agree to a certain extent as well, heroism must be earned. Though it takes a hell of a lot of courage to sign that contract. :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Rzc
CJRyan
I think they are called heroes as they risk there lives to fight on the front line

This.

While you're in an air conditioned office doing some work on MS word, they're out there risking their lives in outrageous climates and in more than dangerous situations.

The ignorance and lack of respect you show really does aggravate me, what makes you better than them? What makes you think soldiers are 'too dumb to get a degree' or are 'chavs'?

I really do await your response.

Again, so your reasoning that a soldier is automatically a hero is because they risk their lives. Again, why am I not a hero for running into a road or going into the lion's enclosure at a zoo?

Yes, in your analogy I am in an office doing my job, while they are in their work environment doing their job. Why are they heroes? Why am I not?

Nowhere in my post have I shown a 'lack of respect' to any specific military persons. You're only saying that because I dared question that a soldier is not automatically a hero.

There are many, many soldiers who are chavs and those who feel there are no other career options. It's become the cop-out of life somewhat: when a young 'adult' can't decide what they want to do, they join the army.

To deny this is to deny a large chunk of Britain. Take a look at The Sun readers and the home page of Facebook (if you live in a chavvy area).

However, nowhere have I said this was all soldiers. Don't be silly.

Perhaps the true ignorance is yours, then, considering your cliché post and ignoring what I've written. As for respect, where is your respect for others and their views of substance then? Or for doctors and scientists who serve and protect their planet and fellow humans?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Again, so your reasoning that a soldier is automatically a hero is because they risk their lives. Again, why am I not a hero for running into a road or going into the lion's enclosure at a zoo?

Yes, in your analogy I am in an office doing my job, while they are in their work environment doing their job. Why are they heroes? Why am I not?

Nowhere in my post have I shown a 'lack of respect' to any specific military persons. You're only saying that because I dared question that a soldier is not automatically a hero.

There are many, many soldiers who are chavs and those who feel there are no other career options. It's become the cop-out of life somewhat: when a young 'adult' can't decide what they want to do, they join the army.

To deny this is to deny a large chunk of Britain. Take a look at The Sun readers and the home page of Facebook (if you live in a chavvy area).

However, nowhere have I said this was all soldiers. Don't be silly.

Perhaps the true ignorance is yours, then, considering your cliché post and ignoring what I've written. As for respect, where is your respect for others and their views of substance then? Or for doctors and scientists who serve and protect their planet and fellow humans?

If you refer back to a post I did after this one, I did say heroism must be earned. I apologize I did take this thread as a 'soldiers are not heroes' type of thread as I've seen many in the past and it annoys me.

Of course there are many others that I respect. I in no way said I don't respect other careers such as doctors and scientists - I respect many but like I said heroism must be earned and that's the same with respect.

You're also acting as if anyone can get in the Army. If we're stereotyping here, I'd stereotype a chav as a drug addict (bars you from entry), alcoholic (would be of great concern to employer), criminal record (also another bar depending on its seriousness) and lack of respect/motivation which would also be a negative factor in them joining the Army - therefore it's not as easy as you think. If you've ever been through military training I think you'd realize this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending