The Student Room Group

Capitalising in titles question

Hi,

I don't fully understand how I'm supposed to do it, but does this look good?

Does Temperature Affect the Young’s Modulus of a Copper Wire?

Correct use of capitals or not?

Thanks for the help!
:smile:
Reply 1
It Doesnt!
Is it spelled Capitalising or Capitalizing?
Reply 3
Original post by YdLeet
Hi,

I don't fully understand how I'm supposed to do it, but does this look good?

Does Temperature Affect the Young’s Modulus of a Copper Wire?

Correct use of capitals or not?

Thanks for the help!
:smile:

Yes, it is correct. It's an American thing though
Reply 4
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Is it spelled Capitalising or Capitalizing?

In purity, capitalizing is the proper spelling. But in Britain everyone writes capitalising.
Original post by speedbird
In purity, capitalizing is the proper spelling. But in Britain everyone writes capitalising.

I always have to check whether to use an s or a z in certain words due to the differences in American English and British English. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by speedbird

'In purity'? What on earth does that mean? Sounds like prescriptivist nonsense to me.
Reply 7
Original post by LeSacMagique
'In purity'? What on earth does that mean? Sounds like prescriptivist nonsense to me.

That means that it has been spelt with a z for centuries. Then some English smartarse decided that it should be spelt with an s as it is in French, which makes no sense to begin with because it is pronounced with a z-sound not an s-sound. Then the English intelligentsia started spelling it with an s to try and make themselves look clever, from where it spread to the aspirational classes. The Americans retained the proper spelling though, so now most people in Britain believe that spellings such as realize are Americanisms, which they are not, and avoid them for some chauvinistic reason I suppose.

Is that prescriptivist enough?

Quick Reply

Latest